Mobil 1 high mileage vs m1 mc specific 10-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

from my experience, the PCMO will cause premature glazing of the clutch and ends up with slipped or fried
confused.gif

Got it, I guess everyone has their own experiences. I been lucky in that regard and used countless different oils.

While I use MC specific oil now; I never had a problem with the pmco I used in the past either.

Originally Posted By: 04SVT

from my experience, the PCMO will cause premature glazing of the clutch and ends up with slipped or fried
confused.gif

Got it, I guess everyone has their own experiences. I been lucky in that regard and used countless different oils.

While I use MC specific oil now; I never had a problem with the pmco I used in the past either.

It is possible since most bike in the US is big that comes with big enough clutch so the impact of PCMO less severe especially when only low rpm used. When you are dealing with small clutch pack and 9000 rpm+, this is more noticeable.

More torque from a bigger engine would most likely show more slip. A phrase called "driving through the clutch" is what we call it in my neck of the woods. Again, from the posts here, some people have had different results with clutch slip. I've been lucky using "car oil and car rated synthetics" with no mc rating on high horsepower and even nitrous bikes with no slipping issues until the clutch starts to go bad from racing.

I think clutch maintanence is also key. The correct stack height or within stack height recommendations creates a happy non slipping clutch.

Originally Posted By: 04SVT

confused.gif

The bike I did it on was a CBR 1100xx Surper Blackbird. 160hp at the crank and it turned 10,700 rpm. I haven't done it on my R1 buy my buddy is right now with regular M1 10w30. It turns 13,800 and is a 998cc engine. Like I said thoughl; I still run motorcycle specific oil. Even though I've never had a problem with car oil; why take the chance?

It is possible since most bike in the US is big that comes with big enough clutch so the impact of PCMO less severe especially when only low rpm used. When you are dealing with small clutch pack and 9000 rpm+, this is more noticeable.

10W40 is not energy conserving in any oil as far as I know, but there have been analysis done on the high mileage M1 10W40 here and it's pretty watered down in the add pack vs the motorcycle specific. When you can buy a 5 quart jug at walmart for $25 of High mileage and it's $10 a quart for motorcycle oil, they are not the same oil.

Does not mean it does not have moly in it eventhough it is not marked Resource Conserving. And the wrong stuff can mess with wet clutches.

In the 40+ years I've rode bikes I've never bought or used a motorcycle specific oil, I put over 100k miles on my bikes before I sell them. I've also ran oil with high Moly(over 200 ppm) in my '98 1100 Shadow that has a little over 80k miles on it. I do have Barnett clutch springs in the Shadow(still have the original stock clutch plates in the bike) and my clutch hooks up better now than it did when it was new.

People have to justify the fact that they overspend for "Motorcycle Specific" oil, so don't want to hear real world stories of high mileage useage of "Car Oil" with no mechanical issues. I've used Mobil 1 15-50 for 25,000 miles with no problems. M/C specific oil is all marketing [censored], IMO.

Originally Posted By: RonH
10W40 is not energy conserving in any oil as far as I know, but there have been analysis done on the high mileage M1 10W40 here and it's pretty watered down in the add pack vs the motorcycle specific. When you can buy a 5 quart jug at walmart for $25 of High mileage and it's $10 a quart for motorcycle oil, they are not the same oil.

I don't disagree with you in the least. Typically the motorcycle version of oils produce by Manufactuers are a stouter oil. M1 motorcycle's oils have a higher high temp/high stress value than is corresponding pcmo oil.

it funny.

in my country, 100-200cc small bikes is extremely popular. when i decide to go the non-bike specific oil route, well-meaning friend caution i am going to damage my tiny 135cc bike engine. i told them in the States, there are lots of riders never use bike specific oil and clocked countless miles on it.

they argue that in the states, you guys are riding big bike hence the example is not relevant as i am riding a moped. on the other hand, people here argue car's oil will cause damage to bigger bikes.

so far in my 2years of riding a 135cc bike, i clocked about 36,000km. nearly 26,000km of the distance is on non-bike specific oil. the bike is still running as fine as it could.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back