Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40, 5300 miles, 2017 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the reps from Mobil first announced this oil they claimed it would be available everywhere that you can currently buy M1 from, but I wonder if that's really going to be true, since this oil isn't going to be a big seller (at least not until it starts getting marketed for other cars other than the Corvette and Camaro), so why would Walmart use up precious shelf space on it?

Originally Posted by Patman
...... so why would Walmart use up precious shelf space on it?
Not much future for HTHS 3.5 oils like this. Too thick. Even thickie-BMW is going with HTHS 2.7-3.0 these days. VW has been using 508 0w20 in a lot. Mercedes and Porsche still spec thick oils, and of course muscle cars, diesels, and some low volume stuff out there. .... Dwindling market for 0w40.

Once again, not my car, so your advice is falling on deaf ears. Secondly, you won't find too many new Corvette owners going to 10k OCIs, simply because the oil life monitor will count down to zero long before that point, and that poses a risk to voiding the power train warranty.

Originally Posted by Patman
Once again, not my car, so your advice is falling on deaf ears. Secondly, you won't find too many new Corvette owners going to 10k OCIs, simply because the oil life monitor will count down to zero long before that point, and that poses a risk to voiding the power train warranty.

This is why I don't post UOA's for others. Nobody reads the OP.

Nice to see someone change oil early on a new Corvette. These engines are very strong and should last a long time and are very expensive to replace. I have never tried the 0W-40 and I know it's a good track oil. Thanks for the info!

That engine has a 10 quart sump. Most sump capacities for similar engines are 5 and 6 quarts. So how can you verify that the break-in wear is good or bad vs similar engines with a smaller sump? Like would we expect a new LS engine out of a Suburban to show double the wear metals in the sample because it has half of the sump capacity?

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
That engine has a 10 quart sump. Most sump capacities for similar engines are 5 and 6 quarts. So how can you verify that the break-in wear is good or bad vs similar engines with a smaller sump? Like would we expect a new LS engine out of a Suburban to show double the wear metals in the sample because it has half of the sump capacity?

This has me curious as well because my Corvette has the exact same engine but it's got a smaller 7 quart capacity. So if my engine is wearing out at the exact same rate as one with a 10qt sump, would my UOAs show higher wear metals? (we can compare my next UOA to this one as I'm going to change my oil next week and it'll have about 6k on it and the engine has 8300 miles total right now)

I'm taking mine in for 2nd oil change tomorrow (4600 miles). Technically 3rd - on first change, dealership mistakenly filled with 5W-30 because they drained and then realized they didn't have the new 0W-40 in stock, so 2 days later, I got another oil change with the correct spec - nice to get an extra free flush
smile.gif
Will post UOA on this one when I get it back from Blackstone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back