Mobil 1 0W/40FS European Car Formula - 2002 Ford Ranger 3.0L Vulcan 9,410 Miles. (109,144 total)

Ranger_109144_oai.jpg

The Vulcan engines are notoriously easy on oil, mainly because they're not stressed much (lower power:weight).
Easy to work on and maintain, too.

I had two Vulcans; in Taurus cars. One went to 160k miles and was traded in. The other was at 275k miles when I sold it to my sister; it was wrecked shortly thereafter.

These are excellent results. 13.6 Visc. after 9.4k miles wow! A good chunk of Boron in this oil at 453. If there was any example of modern oil doing well in an older engine it's here.

Yup, no issues with this one once the whole antifreeze debacle caused by my brother in law and or/ a body shop was taken care of...

All the economy of a V8 and all the power of a 4 cylinder.

This one gets worked reasonably hard we really need a full size truck, but this one was my grandfather's then Mrs DuckRyders Grandfathers, so we keep it around... its hauled u-haul dual axle trailers and the Acura cross states and regularly gets a bed full of remodeling debris or yard trash or trees...

Last edited:
I'm nearly positive its SL.
Based on the oxidation value and the additives (Calcium too low for one) I'd say this is the SP version. Virgin oxidation for SN was ~30, for SP it is ~7. Your used oxidation of 12 points to it being SP.
A good chunk of Boron in this oil at 453.
That is higher than virgin SN or SP version of M1 0W40, so I'm guessing it's carryover from a previous oil that did have a high amount of Boron. Either that or maybe an additive that increased the Boron?

This oil went in in May of 22.

I am pretty sure the bottle i just put the used oil in was from this change and both it and the bottle that used for this change are marked ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 - API SN, SM, SL AEAA (STO 003) Group B7.

Also, sample went to Blackstone as well, so in like months we can see if numbers match.

Last edited:
Like a couple have mentioned, the Boron is way too high. It makes no sense. Also, the Magnesium should be higher if it was the SP. It *looks* more like SP than SN, but it still has enough difference from SP that it's kind of a mystery.

OP: did you put any additives in this oil, or the previous oil change?

Another possibility is that the M1 0W40 SP VOA that buster linked above is wrong. After all, the person who posted that never posted the actual report. They just posted a partial report, typed in manually. They could've typo-ed when posting.

Like a couple have mentioned, the Boron is way too high. It makes no sense. Also, the Magnesium should be higher if it was the SP. It *looks* more like SP than SN, but it still has enough difference from SP that it's kind of a mystery.

OP: did you put any additives in this oil, or the previous oil change?

Another possibility is that the M1 0W40 SP VOA that buster linked above is wrong. After all, the person who posted that never posted the actual report. They just posted a partial report, typed in manually. They could've typo-ed when posting.
Interesting turn here about the boron. 145 sounds like more of what we see in oil. So, I'd say what @buster posted was correct and somethings not right at 453.

I never put any additives in any of my vehicles and no one but my bride has access to it and she would not add anything either, atleast not without express written permission.

I don’t put a ton of stock in voas as I’ve had them come back wildly different. I recall a VTwin uoa that came back at like 1800 zinc and my voa was 1400 ish… I talked to Blackstone about it and they explained why their system really isn’t great for VOA and it made sense but I can’t re-explain it.

I never put any additives in any of my vehicles and no one but my bride has access to it and she would not add anything either, atleast not without express written permission.

I don’t put a ton of stock in voas as I’ve had them come back wildly different. I recall a VTwin uoa that came back at like 1800 zinc and my voa was 1400 ish… I talked to Blackstone about it and they explained why their system really isn’t great for VOA and it made sense but I can’t re-explain it.
That's weird, OAI wants you to do a baseline sample so that things that might otherwise be flagged won't be, due to the VOA values being known. Oxidation is an example.

That's weird, OAI wants you to do a baseline sample so that things that might otherwise be flagged won't be, due to the VOA values being known. Oxidation is an example.
Well, i guess i'm assuming they already have this oil?

I guess next time around i can send a virgin sample. I suppose i could e-mail them and ask for a retest, too. since I'm not holding my breath for the Blackstone result before they toss this one at OAI.

Well, i guess i'm assuming they already have this oil?

I guess next time around i can send a virgin sample. I suppose i could e-mail them and ask for a retest, too. since I'm not holding my breath for the Blackstone result before they toss this one at OAI.
Yeah, I'd ask for a re-test, the Calcium and Magnesium levels don't look right, nor does the Boron as others have pointed out. Phosphorous and Zinc are also high.

Well the retest came back rather shockingly different... I become increasingly convinced UOAs are basically worthless when retest come back with numbers that are half or triple or more. I'm gonna just start asking for two retest on each sample and picking the one i like the most...

Ranger_109144_oai2.jpg

Still nothing from Blackstone.

Last edited:
Also, they said that the VOAs are per account, so you have to send in the VOA for them to compare it, even if they have one in another account, which seems a bit silly but OK i guess i will next time around.

Back