Mobil 1 0W-40, 10105 miles, Infinity 3.5L VQ35DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have alo mentioned, the main problem is the OCI here. You are ruining your engine by running that long. Follow the manufacturer's specs whatever they are and in no case more than 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. Bearings will fail anytime otherwise due to corrosion-induced lead wear.

Here is the response I got from WearCheck regarding FTIR:

Hi Gokhan,

FTIRs work by an auto-reference algorithm and the results are strictly an estimate of what the FTIR program calculates for the values. With the older FTIRs, you had to have a baseline of the actual product and process the used oil sample against it to establish true values. This is typically not done by used oil analysis production laboratories as it would require a baseline reading of each individual new oil product requiring the lab to know what the exact product was before processing. Very impractical, and clients often do not report the specific product anyway so you are still left with an estimate. What I did with your samples was to use the new unused values of the new oil as the baseline and subtracted them from the readings of the used oil. I did not adjust any of the new oil values.

I read the Bobs the Oil Guy forum, though I’m not crazy about the forums. We do redundant testing on all new oils, so I am very confident in the results. It’s supposed to be Mobil 1 0W20 made for Toyota but they may have made some formula changes for Toyota.

Are you looking for trouble again?
wink.gif
10,000 miles on M1, particularly M1 0w-40, isn't exactly a stretch, and just because there might be a problem with the lead numbers - only might - that doesn't necessarily mean there's been a lubricant failure. The OEM severe service interval is 3750 miles on an ILSAC 5w-30, and that would be a bit of a pity on M1 0w-40. Of course, switching around lube to lube isn't going to be doing trending any favours.

Try Mobil 1 10w40, I bet it brings the Pb down.

I had high lead, switched to a 50/50 blend of M1 10w40 and M1 15w50 and the Pb wear plummeted down to 3ppm from 31. Pb drop UOA image

Last edited:
I had the same situation regarding oxidation on a somewhat fresh fill of M1 Euro 0W-40 with Polaris Labs (who do the analyses for Oil Analyzers). Here is a discussion of that http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3803819/1

A safe guess would be that the virgin oil starts off with a base reading in the 25 range, which is the maximum allowable by Mercedes Benz in a MB approved 229.5 oil, which is one spec M1 Euro 0w-40 meets. MB also specs a maximum oxidation reading of 80 at a 5% fuel dilution (presumably in used oil).

I therefore wouldn't have any concerns over the oxidation number even though some of it may be oxidative thickening since M1 Euro starts off at a viscosity of 13.5 cSt at 100* C and it would be unlikely to be 13.3 cSt at 100* C with 1.5% fuel dilution. Viscosity at 1.5% fuel dilution should be around 12 cSt at 100* C based on my graph.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
I would try 5k and 0w-40 after looking at that report.

Why not M1 10w40 high mileage? I bet it'd reduce wear across the board compared to 0w40.

Thanks for the discussion on the oxidation. My thoughts are similar to some mentioned. I don't think the number is necessarily cause for any concern.

The car has 5W-30 in it now from the GM dealer. We think it's a Mobil oil and that it meets GM Dexos specs. But we're not sure since they buy it in bulk from the local Mobil distributor. I did have my son get a virgin sample when he changed it and I'm going to send that in to try to figure out what it is. I'll have a real baseline that way too.

I'll run that oil 5K miles and go from there. The wear numbers here don't worry me much nor does running oil 10K plus miles if it's an oil that shown to be usable at those intervals. I just don't know exactly what the oil is I have right now so I'd rather get a sample at 5K.

Originally Posted By: jsharp
Thanks for the discussion on the oxidation. My thoughts are similar to some mentioned. I don't think the number is necessarily cause for any concern.

The car has 5W-30 in it now from the GM dealer. We think it's a Mobil oil and that it meets GM Dexos specs. But we're not sure since they buy it in bulk from the local Mobil distributor. I did have my son get a virgin sample when he changed it and I'm going to send that in to try to figure out what it is. I'll have a real baseline that way too.

I'll run that oil 5K miles and go from there. The wear numbers here don't worry me much nor does running oil 10K plus miles if it's an oil that shown to be usable at those intervals. I just don't know exactly what the oil is I have right now so I'd rather get a sample at 5K.

since you switched lubes there is no reason to do another used oil sample on this fill. it will not be accurate because the additives between the two will have some mixture.

You are better of to wait until your second or third change on the A/C delco dexos oil before you sample.

Do a VOA on the oil and then send a UOA on your second or third OCI of 5k miles on this oil.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Originally Posted By: jsharp

since you switched lubes there is no reason to do another used oil sample on this fill. it will not be accurate because the additives between the two will have some mixture.

You are better of to wait until your second or third change on the A/C delco dexos oil before you sample.

Do a VOA on the oil and then send a UOA on your second or third OCI of 5k miles on this oil.

Got you and I agree. I'll probably do it anyway just out of curiosity tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back