MMO in lieu of 2-cycle oil in 2-cycle engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean instead of TC oil in an engine calling for TC oil it is not advisable. You can add a % of it to an engine calling for TC oil, but not in place of TC oil. IIRC it is somewhere on their website showing recommendations for people that want to use it for some additional cleaning in TC engines. It also helps keep TC carbs clean and not needing frequent carb adjustments. HTH

IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR TC OIL!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It won't work, don't do it.

+1. It's Marvel Mystery Oil, not Marvel Miracle Oil.

Considering how TC oil is mixed with the gas as such low concentrations, it can't be much more than an UCL.

Last edited:
Oh but it is. The two cycle oils have detergent-dispersant additives in them that MMO does not. And remember even though it's called MMO it's 90-95% solvent. You can try it if you want but I HIGHLY recommend against it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Oh but it is. The two cycle oils have detergent-dispersant additives in them that MMO does not. And remember even though it's called MMO it's 90-95% solvent. You can try it if you want but I HIGHLY recommend against it.

I'll probably go for it for a while. The snow blower is old and a POS. I gotta do something with this MMO because it doesn't appear to do anything for my vehicles.

Well, you mix you up a gallon of gas and use the MMO instead of your two cycle oil and you won't have to worry about the old POS for long. Put the MMO in a oil squirt gun and use it for odd lubrication jobs around the home, like door hinges etc. You will have the best smelling house in the neighborhood.

very bad news. 2 stroke oil is way cheaper than MMO, why would you want to do it??? $11.00 per gallon at china mart. i don't buy MMO anymore either, because it doesn't do anything, just pour it in the gas tank and burn it up, but put in some 2 stroke oil as well.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
very bad news. 2 stroke oil is way cheaper than MMO, why would you want to do it??? $11.00 per gallon at china mart. i don't buy MMO anymore either, because it doesn't do anything, just pour it in the gas tank and burn it up, but put in some 2 stroke oil as well.

It is only cheaper if you have to buy both.

No. This is exactly why I consider 2c tp be a FAR better top oil and fuel treatment in general than MMO.

I have always used gas with the appropriate amount of Seafoam OR MMO already mixed, to mix with my 2 cycle oil. I have wondered what the solvent and oil of the fuel treatment do to my oil mix
21.gif
. I have never had a problem, never had carbon build up, in decades of use......and I realize that proves nothing.

I have never used MMO as my 2 cycle lubricant.....let us know how it turns out.
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
I IMAGINE you could get away with it. By that I mean you screwed up and found yourself without 2 cycle oil and HAD to use your 2 cycle engine. It will most likely survive to see another day.

..but to reinvent (how many) years of legit proven practices? I can only think that it would take many hours off of its life.

If this was a safe practice (or just one that would/could provide some benefit), you can bet that Turtle Wax would have it boldly recommended on the label.

I have heard of RX7's having the oil injection (OMP) removed/bypassed and running only MMO as a premix and doing great for many, many miles - that said, I would not do a total replacement.

Marvel itself, recommends replacing 25% of your total 2 cycle oil requirement to achieve your required fuel/oil ratio with MMO, just like when replacing sump oil. MMO after all, is designed as a supplement to oil, 2-cycle or 4-cycle, not a total replacement.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I IMAGINE you could get away with it. By that I mean you screwed up and found yourself without 2 cycle oil and HAD to use your 2 cycle engine. It will most likely survive to see another day.

..but to reinvent (how many) years of legit proven practices? I can only think that it would take many hours off of its life.

If this was a safe practice (or just one that would/could provide some benefit), you can bet that Turtle Wax would have it boldly recommended on the label.

Who has more unintended uses MMO or WD40?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: Cmarti

21.gif

Neither. Duct tape.
48.gif

Duct tape fixes everything!
grin2.gif

Quote:

Use it in place of gear lube??????
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back