Mixologists-opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teenage son drives 93 Honda Accord with 145K miles. Mixed highway and city driving, 3-4K OCI's. I have used and been happy with Pennzoil HM 5W-30 (10W in summer). Motor does not leak or consume oil. Would there be a benefit, however small, of using 1 qt Pennzoil Platinum synthetic with 3 qts HM at next oil change? Best of both worlds (semi-synthetic with seal conditioning) or asking for trouble? Car has always used regular dino or HM except for one OCI with GC (discontinued due to increased engine noise). Thanks for your feedback.

If I wanted to go syn I'd spend the money on ARX
and get the benefit of cleaning up the engine and rings. That could take you another 3500-4500 miles to transition. My car - I'm ARXing and near the end of my second batch and switching to $2 PP with Pepboys or spring Penn promos which make PP cheaper than you current HM.

As a non ARX alternative consider 5-30 Penn HM and 1 qt Shell Rotella 15-40 you'd get better cleaning action than PP for the same price as Penn HM. 5-40 shell rotella T syn is close to the same price of your HM or proposed mix and you even get Shell's techs doing the blend.

It probably wouldn't hurt anything....It probably wouldn't help anything either. I 'blend' oil often but I am not trying to outsmart the chemist at the oil companies instead I am trying to get rid of accumulated oil from my stash.

Unless you snagged some Syn. at a cheap price, going only 3-4 OCIs, no need to change what you are doing. Like pbm state, it probably wouldn't hurt/help.

I don't think you'd have any issues, I mean you're staying in the same brand and all which is said to be the starting point for those with the itch to mix. I also don't see there being a problem with seal seep because of the ratio of synth to conventional, and then throw the fact of having seal conditioners.

I'm not sure what you're looking to gain however - if it's just a piece of mind I hear yeah, but all else remaining the same???

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back