mitsubishi sp III trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost per performance and availability is why I don't care for SPIII.

Now, if they came out with a full synthetic SPIII, sold it for less than Mobil1 or Valvoline ATF+4, licensed it(cheaply) so that any oil company can make it, then by all means use it.

30k city driving, 100k normal service, just isn't defined or enforced. Typical owners mentality is that they are normal since 1 maintenance interval at 100k is cheaper than 3!
Plus, I've already seen a bunch of Kias/Hyundais that didn't survive long enough to get their first 30k service.

The manufacturers need an ATF oil life monitor since blind mileage based intervals isn't cutting it in the real world.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
The manufacturers need an ATF oil life monitor since blind mileage based intervals isn't cutting it in the real world.

GM has had 'em for years...

For example, in the Equinox, the Check Engine light will illuminate when its time to do a fluid change.

Many of the Cadillacs with the 4T80E have one.

IMO, the ATF+4 can be used in the SPIII applications and being labelled a synthetic, is superior to the SPIII.

The clutchband materials have improved over the years to last longer when allowing a slip controlled shift. And, I haven't seen clutch material that is fluid specific. Its the TCM programming that is creating issues. The consumer wants an unnoticeable shift. Its the TCM that requires that special fluid.

Long term life is meaningless since OEM fluids roast just as many(if not more) transmissions as non-OEM fluids. If anything, a better non-OEM fluid should help the transmission live longer.

And, SPIII, IMO is one of the worst.
This is caused by inadequate cooling(standard on all Kias, Mitsubishis, and Hyundais), pathetic filtration(standard on almost ALL makes), extended warranties(10y/100k powertrain sells cars), horrible ATF change interval recommendations(lifetime fill, 100k fluids), owners ignorance(drive it 'til it dies), and even OEM TSBs and state laws mentioning that fluid color is meaningless(without stating why color changed).

Whether you use the OEM ATF or not, it would be wise to research your transmission. ALL have weaknesses. Some weaknesses can be addressed with more frequent ATF change intervals, better cooling and filtration, mechanical valvebody upgrades, ECU/TCM software patches, and adjustments to the owners driving style.

Correction: Kia is probably the only OEM that still requires an ATF service @ 30K under city driving, and 100K under normal service.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Correction: Kia is probably the only OEM that still requires an ATF service @ 30K under city driving, and 100K under normal service.

Hyundai also specifies 30K service under "severe service". (Extreme heat and/or urban crawl qualify.) Same recommendation went for my '94 Honda, too. I suspect those two automakers plus KIA aren't alone if one closely examines the "severe service" schedules in owner's manuals.

This isn’t entirely true, at least with Honda, beginning with the 2006 model year. The new Accord, Civic, Odyssey, etc base ALL servicing off of the OLM dictated oil change intervals.

Every X number of oil changes, your vehicle will require an air filter change, tire rotation, coolant change, etc…

The only “set” service schedule now are the engine/cabin air filters if you operate under dusty conditions, which, you must ignore the maintenance minder system and replace them every 15K regardless.

Toyota no longer requires an ATF change either, for many years now. A 60K fluid drain is required under towing only.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Critic, this is a thread concerning ATF and not engine oil. Seems that your responses are confusing the 2.

Concerning OLMs, I want to see an "A.T.F.L.M." with an actual algorithm(temperature being the most important variable) and not simply mileage based or bogus driving style based, which both are useless in the real world.

I posted about actual ATF OLMs in another thread. GM has one on their Equinox and on many of the Cadillac vehicles. These ATF OLMs are based on operating temperature of the fluid, like you've expected.

The one in the Equinox will illuminate a CEL when its time to do a fluid change...

Critic, this is a thread concerning ATF and not engine oil. Seems that your responses are confusing the 2.

Concerning OLMs, I want to see an "A.T.F.L.M." with an actual algorithm(temperature being the most important variable) and not simply mileage based or bogus driving style based, which both are useless in the real world.

Anyone run Schaeffers 204 ATF in a Mitsubishi AT ? Hows it working for you ? With Mola off the formulating game for a while I need fluid and don't have time to make our own.

First, Mitsubishi sp III very good quality synthetic blend fluid, whoever said otherwise just a plain stupid. Second, there no substitute available, you can use any universal fluid or canola oil if you wish, your car..not my. I’ve seen many reports from tranny’s mechanics that aftermarket fluids destroy /melt plastic parts over some period of time. Lastly, Mitsubishi will void your warranty immediately once they analyze fluid in failed unit.

Quote:

The clutchband materials have improved over the years to last longer when allowing a slip controlled shift. And, I haven't seen clutch material that is fluid specific.

Really... Then by your definition, there would be no conflict in substituting Mercon V for SP III? Or Dexron VI for Toyota T-IV? Me thinks there are clutch material frictional differences the various proprietary ATFs' friction modifiers are designed to cope with. Personally I suspect that ATF+4 is awfully close, if not identical, to SP III - but until I see irrifutable proof of that conjecture from a recognized, authoritive source, I'll continue using SP III in my Hyundai AT during its 10yr/100K mile powertrain warranty. (Hyundai's also a company which is on record {TSB} that it'll summarily void its warranty on its automatic transmissions if its inspection during tear-down reveals use of an unauthorized ATF or aftermarket ATF additive.
wink.gif
)

Hey Ray, no worries because most likely they'll use our testing to verify that fact and I'll vouch for you.
smile.gif

Merry Christmas

Terry,

My buddy is running AMSOIL ATF in his Mitsu 5-speed AT that requires SP-III. He has had no issues and the transmission shifts much better than the factory fill.

One of my buddies drinks and smokes a lot, yet still kicking strong. Amsoil ATF one of the weirdest stuff (all makes & models in one bottle..
crushedcar.gif
). People just need to realize that unlike engine oil, coolant and ATF fluids sometimes very unique to particular application and not interchangeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back