Mini 14 Ranch Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my Mini-30 back around 2006 or 2007 when Ruger still wasn't making the 20-rd. mags available to the public. I think I gave around $650-700 for it new.

Fast-forward to 2014 - I discovered that Ruger is now selling the 20-rounders, so I bought one. Guess what? Doesn't work worth a dern in the rifle.

Bought another one a week or so ago...planning to take it to the range and see if the new mag works. If not, I guess i need to have the rifle looked at.

Originally Posted By: punisher
I always wondered at the effectiveness of the Mini-14 due to it's ineffectiveness on the A-Team. Lots of bullets flyin, very few bodies droppin.
A team [the media] really the true test of a firearm.

Well, I'm extremely happy right now. Just got back from the range, where I went to test the OEM Ruger 20-rd. magazine I had bought (this was the 2nd one I had bought...I had malfunctions with the first one I had bought last year).

Anyway, I started out loading 5 rounds, then 10, then 15, and finally 20. Then a few more full 20-rd. mags and NO MALFUNCTIONS! So, as hard as it was for me to believe, I guess that 1st 20-rounder I bought for the Mini-30 last year is flawed somehow. I'm going to exchange it.

(All ammo fired today was Tula FMJ.)

Had a lot of fun shooting the little Mini-30 today, even though I was just in a little indoor range that's only 50 feet.

My next step with it will be to take it to an outdoor range and see how well I can hit with it with plain ole iron sights! I'll also attempt to determine whether this rifle is affected by the hot barrel accuracy degradation I've heard about.

Wow the Thirty looks so cool with the 20 rounder!

Up in Canada they don't accept more than the 5 rounder, you have to put the mag in at an extreme angle, then fish hook it in till it snaps in place.

A longer 20 rounder doesn't work IIRC.

Anyway, over 5 rounds is absolutely illegal for centerfire rifles in Canada anyway so no big deal.

And after shooting 5 rounds I am grinning suficciently from ear to ear anyway.

I love the 7.62 x 39 round. The noise it makes is nuts!!

John, don't forget the clear silicone caulking on the scope rings if you plan on scoping that thing!! Or you'll mar the scope tube bad!

Happy gunning!!

Here's a short, fun little clip for our resident 7.62x39mm fans
smile.gif

http://youtu.be/dkX-Pg3pRwc

BTW, I love the thumb hole stock and light-colored wood on that Hungarian AK! Not to mention its one of the better AKs.

These are my 3 Ruger Mini 14's. 2 Tactical Models. One Stainless, (no longer made), and the other blued. The other is the NRA Edition with the gold NRA emblem embedded in the Hogue Overmolded Stock. All 3 run like scalded dogs. I've run both .223, as well as 5.56 MM through them with zero problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back