Microsoft Money Rebate Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a letter from Young America saying I didn't send in a Taxcut box top for a rebate. I sent them a letter with a copy of the box top and told them to send me my rebate. They stink. This scam seems common. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Photocopies are OK for the reciepts.
But, the original boxtop, UPC, or other directions must be followed. Sorry, but too many scammers try to mail in rebates and then return products. By cutting up the box top or UPC, I doubt anyone can return it. Scammers work both ways.

I originally sent them everything they required, including the original box tops. They said I did not, so I now sent them the photocopies. They have all my originals.

What is this "Young America" entity?

If it is a scam, imagine this scenario.

Scammer knows about a LARGE rebate for a product requiring the UPC label and whatever other documentation needed.

Send out a mass e-mail to a few million folks.

Suppose a certain percentage have bought the product and are unaware of a rebate.

X amount of people remit needed stuff for the rebate to the scammer.

Scammer either has a method to befuddle the entity issuing the rebate chaecks or has an accomplice in a position to assist within the rabate issuing entity or knows that there is a lack of internal oversite that allows multiple refunds to be sent to one or a few addresses.

Wait for those scammed to send in asled-for items. Then, scammer submits material to refunder. Scammer waits for checks.

Suppose a refund is for 20 bucks. Get a thousand or two folks out of a couple million to send you the stuff needed to grab the rebate/refund/money back offer and we're looking at a decent return for the effort expended.

And, the punishment for "white collar" crimes is typically lax, compared to the poor black kid in the rough part of town who swipes a candy bar. Well, there's po'white kids, too along with a few flesh-tone ones scampering around.

Get off my lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!

No idea if it's a scam. Just tossing out a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back