Micron filter rating for NAPA Platinum oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw my O'reilly rep yesterday. He said that last time(2nd time) he spoke to the WIX rep, WIX hadn't released data on any of the XP filters. Still waiting.....

Wix was once controlled by Dana corp. After Parker bought out Dana, the product for some reason has declined in quality...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I just got off the phone with Wix; here is what they told me ...

Sad, sad state of affaris at Wix nowdays. They used to be helpful and informational; they've become worthless in consumer information sharing. They are set up for mass-market canned answers and cannot get past the rhetoric. In all honesty, it's not that they don't make good stuff, but if this is the kind of bovine poo they are going to push on me, then I will continue to shop for alternatives at cheaper prices. They simply are not "good enough" for me to be loyal to such condescending dribble.

After a few minutes I called back, and specifically asked for a person that could answer techical questions and not read off boilerplate computer screen data; I was transferred to another desk, and was able to leave a VM for the person (with an undistinguishable name on the VM header).

Stay tuned ...

I checked out Purolator's New Synthetic PSL series filters and the specs are not as good as the Pure Ones. According to the Purolator Website the Pure One (PL) is rated at 99.9% Efficiency at 20 microns and the Synthetic (PSL) is rated at 99.0% efficiency at 25 microns. However the PSL will hold 27 grams of contaminants while the Pure One only holds 13 Grams. I guess the PSL can go longer between oil changes than the Pure One(PL).
Also to note Purolator recommends the Pure One(PL) be changed every 3K miles or 3 months depending on driving conditions-or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer. The PSL is good for 10K miles.

There's no excuses for WIX's support line, or Purolator's 3K recommendation either. But I think Burbanite is right about PSL versus P1, and I suspect the same is true of Platinums versus Gold- they are giving up some of the finer filtration in return for higher filter loading and slower flow resistance buildup, to hold up to the extended OCI's expected of synthetics.

If that's the case, or there's a better reason, unfortunately it hasn't "filtered down" to the support personnel's script yet. (pun intended)

Originally Posted By: HangFire
There's no excuses for WIX's support line, or Purolator's 3K recommendation either.

That 3k recommendation is only half of Purolator's use statement for their oil filters. It's the other half (which can be seen on their website) that applies in most cases.

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Statement is at the bottom of the PureOne webpage - but not on the Classic or Synthetic webpages.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Their written warranty does also state similar words.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf

Well, if that's the case by the time my OLM hits near zero(using an AC Delco PF2232) my mileage would be just over 5K which is 2K more than they recommend.
One thing I don't quite understand is why do Puro's PSL filters, that use a full synthetic media, not filter as well as the Pure One's? Granted they last longer and hold more [censored] but is less filtering the price you pay for more contaminant holding capacity. Even the Amsoil EAO filters have a rating of 98.7% at 20 microns which is less than both Purolator's or Donaldson's P550518.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Burbanite
Well, if that's the case by the time my OLM hits near zero(using an AC Delco PF2232) my mileage would be just over 5K which is 2K more than they recommend.

Running you oil until the OLM says to change it is or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Even if the OLM said to change the oil after it had ran for 12,000 miles, it would still meet Purolator's statement of "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

One thing I don't quite understand is why do Puro's PSL filters, that use a full synthetic media, not filter as well as the Pure One's? Granted they last longer and hold more [censored] but is less filtering the price you pay for more contaminant holding capacity. Even the Amsoil EAO filters have a rating of 98.7% at 20 microns which is less than both Purolator's or Donaldson's P550518.

Because full synthetic filters are a balance between filtering performance and use for long change intervals.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Running you oil until the OLM says to change it is or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Even if the OLM said to change the oil after it had ran for 12,000 miles, it would still meet Purolator's statement of "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

Because full synthetic filters are a balance between filtering performance and use for long change intervals.

Both good points, so since I can pick up a Pure One for my truck for under $10.00 and get filtering at 99.9% @ 20 Microns it wouldn't really make any sense to get the PSL which filters at 99% @ 25 Microns and the best price I've seen on these is $25.00 Ea. That being said, I do like the extra contaminant holding capability of the PSL (13g P1 compared to 27g for the PSL. Do you think the difference in the filtering quality is any big deal or would the 5 micron differential be important enough to stick with the Pure One.

^^^^I wouldn't be too concerned with the difference in efficiency between the two as much as how long you intend to run the filter, ie., fci. If you plan on running the filter 10+k miles then the PSL would make better sense because of it's greater holding capacity. ~7.5k mi. fci then the P1 would make more sense. That is of course if ROI means anything to you. And, ~13 grams is still a lot of junk for a well maintained engine.

Fwiw, I've seen the PSL listed at Advance Auto for $10.50. Buy in quantity, use an AAP code, and the price is down significantly. But, if the PSL is $25 north of the border then that makes the P1 considerably more cost effective. And afaik in Canada the Bosch Premium is now sold at Walmart and it is a P1 clone.

There's no excuses for WIX's support line, or Purolator's 3K recommendation either.

That 3k recommendation is only half of Purolator's use statement for their oil filters. It's the other half (which can be seen on their website) that applies in most cases.

"Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer."

I'm fully aware of the other half of Purolator's use statement. I still maintain there's no excuse for it.

HF

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^^^^I wouldn't be too concerned with the difference in efficiency between the two as much as how long you intend to run the filter, ie., fci. If you plan on running the filter 10+k miles then the PSL would make better sense because of it's greater holding capacity. ~7.5k mi. fci then the P1 would make more sense. That is of course if ROI means anything to you. And, ~13 grams is still a lot of junk for a well maintained engine.

Fwiw, I've seen the PSL listed at Advance Auto for $10.50. Buy in quantity, use an AAP code, and the price is down significantly. But, if the PSL is $25 north of the border then that makes the P1 considerably more cost effective. And afaik in Canada the Bosch Premium is now sold at Walmart and it is a P1 clone.

At the absolute most my OCI would be about 6K miles (9,600 km's) and even that's a bit of a stretch. The $25.00 pricing I found on the PSL was at Amazon.com. If it's that much there I'm afraid to find out what it costs up here. I also checked Advance's website and it sells there for about $20.00.
All that being said, I think sticking with the P1 would be the best for my application because as you mentioned it should be fine in a well maintained engine, which mine is.

6k miles? There isn't a syn filter made that is worth the price of admission if you're going to limit yourself to that.

I cannot tell what is "best" for you application. The only way to know that with total certainty is to run a LONG, LARGE series of trials to look at statistical ranges and trends. I doubt you or anyone else has the money and patience to do it.

But I can tell you that just about ANY decent brand name average cellulose filter will easy run 6k miles, and while your emotional mind may "feel" a difference, the engine won't notice in the slightest.

I'm fully aware of the other half of Purolator's use statement. I still maintain there's no excuse for it.

HF

Why? What do you think their statement should say?

The last part of their use statement pretty much covers any situation. The "3 months or 3,000 miles is a pure CYA statement that is supposed to cover situations where there is no OLM or no mileage to go by (ie, off road equipment, etc). It also might be used to trick people who don't understand the last part of the statement to buy more oil and filters.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
6k miles? There isn't a syn filter made that is worth the price of admission if you're going to limit yourself to that.

I cannot tell what is "best" for you application. The only way to know that with total certainty is to run a LONG, LARGE series of trials to look at statistical ranges and trends. I doubt you or anyone else has the money and patience to do it.

But I can tell you that just about ANY decent brand name average cellulose filter will easy run 6k miles, and while your emotional mind may "feel" a difference, the engine won't notice in the slightest.

Totally agree, There is no way I'm going to pay anywhere near what they want for a synthetic filter when a cheaper alternative is available considering how much the vehicle is driven every year.
I managed to pick up 4 Pure One Filters(PL35399) off of Ebay for $7.00 Ea which is not too bad, so I'm set for a little while and now I can quit worrying about Oil filters. Thanks for your input Dave, and the rest of the guys who posted as well.

Why? What do you think their statement should say?

They really don't have to say anything, nor do I have to provide them with anything to say. But what they shouldn't say is that 3K [censored].

HF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back