Microguard Select MSL51334 C&P

Came off of my 60k mile 2018 Sonata with the Theta II marshmallow engine. Filter has 4k miles on it, topped off with a BG EPR service to help correct some minor oil consumption. Filter is remarkably unremarkable; no excessive pleat spacing or other issues that I could see. Partsmaster 5w40 full syn HD oil and a Napa Gold 1334 went back in/on this time around, but will definitely use more of these in the future.

Attachments

• 20230309_084349.jpg
    20230309_084349.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 135
  • 20230309_084347.jpg
    20230309_084347.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 122
  • 20230309_084341.jpg
    20230309_084341.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 119
  • 20230309_084419.jpg
    20230309_084419.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 20230309_084325.jpg
    20230309_084325.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 20230309_084313.jpg
    20230309_084313.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20230309_084315.jpg
    20230309_084315.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 141
Seems like it held up very well, very good build quality. Slight excess glue but not really worth mentioning.

Thanks for the share.

Your filter here has done its job. It looks lightly colored after this run. I don't think I've ever had a filter come out looking that light colored.

Came off of my 60k mile 2018 Sonata with the Theta II marshmallow engine. Filter has 4k miles on it, topped off with a BG EPR service to help correct some minor oil consumption. Filter is remarkably unremarkable; no excessive pleat spacing or other issues that I could see. Partsmaster 5w40 full syn HD oil and a Napa Gold 1334 went back in/on this time around, but will definitely use more of these in the future.
Looks exactly like KIA/Hyundai OEM filter. Thank You for cut and post sir

Looks like the PG made Microgard Select filters are continuing to look great.

Now between this filter and the new Fram Endurance aka RP filter.. . Hard to pick which one I would want to run next on my cars.

Though I’m really glad that both are extremely well made and have very good efficiency.

Now between this filter and the new Fram Endurance aka RP filter.. . Hard to pick which one I would want to run next on my cars.

Though I’m really glad that both are extremely well made and have very good efficiency.
I agree.. With all the bad quality filters appearing out there for whatever reasons (bought out, merger, etc) it's nice to see over time these PG made filters are the same quality!

I must say the FRAM Synthetic Endurance is not impressive to me at all. They couldn't even do a metal crimped seam on a $13 filter. And although I doubt wavy pleats are going to be much of an issue on it the one thing that bothered me is the pleats were slanted in parts of the filter while the rest were straight. And the fact that these filters are literally brand new but there is people already reporting issues such as threads being way off.

It just doesn't scream quality to me like the Microgard Select/PG filters do.

Between the Endurance and the Ultra, I would pick the Ultra any day until I see something shows me the Endurance actually holds up better.

I must say the FRAM Synthetic Endurance is not impressive to me at all. They couldn't even do a metal crimped seam on a $13 filter.
There is probably a technical reason for that, namely that a glued seam ensures a better seal when joining media with the wire backing. If it was just a metal crimp without glue, it could still possibly leak dirty oil at the seam. If glue seals it 100% without an added metal crimp and doesn't fail, then it's a design that works. The Royal Purple doesn't use a crimp either. Until I see evidence that the glued seam is failing, then I'm not concerned.

There is probably a technical reason for that, namely that a glued seam ensures a better seal when joining media with the wire backing. If it was just a metal crimp without glue, it could still possibly leak dirty oil at the seam. If glue seals it 100% without an added metal crimp and doesn't fail, then it's a design that works. The Royal Purple doesn't use a crimp either. Until I see evidence that the glued seam is failing, then I'm not concerned.
I prefer a metal crimped seam, I didn't mention seam failure. And until I see evidence that properly crimped metal seam leaks dirty oil then I'm not concerned.

I prefer a metal crimped seam, I didn't mention seam failure. And until I see evidence that properly crimped metal seam leaks dirty oil then I'm not concerned.
I prefer a seam that works ... regardless if it's crimped or glued or both. Didn't say you mentioned anything about seam failure ... I simply made the statement that if a glued seam doesn't fail then I'm OK with that method of sealing the seam. Lots of oil filters don't have a metal crimped seam, and they all seem to work fine. Rarely see a failed seam, but often see failed media/tears from improper pleat spacing.

On a similar note, both metal and non-metal end caps all still work and in the end that's all that matters. Sure, some people "prefer" metal end caps, but it doesn't really make the oil filter work any better.

A couple years back I only used Ultras for everything and cut many open on here.
I bought a PG 4612ex to cut but decided to use it on a Florida run with extended long hours of use. Twice 16 hrs straight.
I remember it was slightly smaller in height and width and like a fool I kept getting under the Mitsubishi to inspect it
Had me stressed out for real

In the end I put 10k miles on it and cut it open and it was still like new and well built. That ended my paranoia. I would buy them with no issue.

I must say the FRAM Synthetic Endurance is not impressive to me at all. They couldn't even do a metal crimped seam on a $13 filter. And although I doubt wavy pleats are going to be much of an issue on it the one thing that bothered me is the pleats were slanted in parts of the filter while the rest were straight. And the fact that these filters are literally brand new but there is people already reporting issues such as threads being way off.

It just doesn't scream quality to me like the Microgard Select/PG filters do.

Between the Endurance and the Ultra, I would pick the Ultra any day until I see something shows me the Endurance actually holds up better.
I know that on a cartridge filter the metal crimp is nice to look at but it's even better to be able to see the seem itself before installation. The glued seam allows you to actually see the seam & if it's not sealed correctly. Basically like popping the hood under a metal seam. lol
On a regular spin on perhaps its better piece of mind b/c you can't see the seam before installation anyways.

I've seen many glued filters & if done correctly are very strong/durable for the duration claimed or OE OCI run. That being said I've seen some once in a blue moon the seam was not properly glued & would not run it. Unfortunately, that can also be said about a metal crimped seam as well.

I know that on a cartridge filter the metal crimp is nice to look at but it's even better to be able to see the seem itself before installation. The glued seam allows you to actually see the seam & if it's not sealed correctly. Basically like popping the hood under a metal seam. lol
On a regular spin on perhaps its better piece of mind b/c you can't see the seam before installation anyways.

I've seen many glued filters & if done correctly are very strong/durable for the duration claimed or OE OCI run. That being said I've seen some once in a blue moon the seam was not properly glued & would not run it. Unfortunately, that can also be said about a metal crimped seam as well.
I have seen gaps in glued seams before where glue gunked up in parts and caused raised spots where dirty oil could get through, but I have never seen a metal crimped seam fail, not saying it hasn't happened I just haven't seen it happen.

But my point in regards to the metal crimped seam isn't about one being better than the other, my point is even on FRAMS lower tier filters including the TG and PH they offer metal crimped seams those are $4 and $7 filters but on a $13 top of the line filter rated for 25,000 miles they cheap out on top of QC issues.

A couple years back I only used Ultras for everything and cut many open on here.
I bought a PG 4612ex to cut but decided to use it on a Florida run with extended long hours of use. Twice 16 hrs straight.
I remember it was slightly smaller in height and width and like a fool I kept getting under the Mitsubishi to inspect it
Had me stressed out for real

In the end I put 10k miles on it and cut it open and it was still like new and well built. That ended my paranoia. I would buy them with no issue.
Considering how well these filters seem to hold up, even when people are going over the listed 10,000 miles in some examples, I am thinking PG/Microgard has far under-rated these filters. They are probably capable of 20,000 although I do not recommend anyone attempting to find out.

I have seen gaps in glued seams before where glue gunked up in parts and caused raised spots where dirty oil could get through, but I have never seen a metal crimped seam fail, not saying it hasn't happened I just haven't seen it happen.

But my point in regards to the metal crimped seam isn't about one being better than the other, my point is even on FRAMS lower tier filters including the TG and PH they offer metal crimped seams those are $4 and $7 filters but on a $13 top of the line filter rated for 25,000 miles they cheap out on top of QC issues.
I see your point but maybe they had a good reason for it other than cheapness. I can only speculate that by removing the metal crimp gives, just slightly, better filtering & more holding capacity. Even if it's so slightly by removing the crimp seam. We haven't seen enough Fram Endurance 25k filters cut open to speculate if the QC has suffered or not.

Last edited:
The Fram Endurance is basically a Royal Purple. Just because it doesn't have a metal crimped seam doesn't mean it's now "cheapened" or is prone to failure or bad QC. If you look at the Whip City Wrencher video of the RP and FE cut-opens, the media seam looks to be well bonded together.

Back