Mercedes question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: exranger06
In CT, if your car fails emissions and you spend something like $700 at a certified emissions repair shop trying to fix it, and the problem STILL isn't fixed, you get a waiver and you never have to get an emissions test again. See if MD has something similar.

I believe if you look carefully they waiver is only for a year.
I use to go through the waivers for the MA inspection program at the RMV. The same company runs CT. Applus Technologies.

I believe you get three attempts to pass, and get a waiver if you fail each time. I think she has one more attempt starting Sept of this year, so she has 15 months to figure it out. I think you have to spend a certain amount trying as well.

Md Repair Waiver

An application for a waiver may be submitted after a vehicle fails the test, undergoes a repair, and fails the test again. The owner(s) must submit original receipts or invoices indicating the minimum repair cost of $450.00 has been spent on emissions related repairs. A waiver will be issued for two years from the original assigned test date.

The emissions related repairs must be made up to 30 days before the first inspection and up to 120 days after the last inspection. The vehicle must be tested after any repairs are made that are to count towards the repair waiver.

Last edited:
If it's the balance shafts, I've heard that they go for $5-$7k at the dealer. I think one guy got a mercedes tech to do it on the side and it only cost him 3k, about 1k for parts and 2k for labor. There are 3rd party guys that make the balance shafts now too, but no idea how good they are. I believe they fixed the balance shaft problem with better balance shafts for cars made after Oct 2006 or so, they must have gotten an earlier 2006 production date on the 2007. Taking it to the dealer might net a slight discount, it kinda depends if they go there all the time to get service. Then they might get 20%-50% off, that's sorta up to the dealership. If they want to be hard core, they could get a one day membership to Mercedes Star Tekinfo for $19 and download everything they need to know to make the repair. If it's really the camshaft solenoid, then she's getting robbed, those should be DIY and nowhere near 5k, maybe 1k at the dealership, a few hundred if DIY. Again, another problem that went away after 2007. Many things got better after 2007.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Anyone buying a German luxury should know beforehand that even minor repairs could cost astronomically. To make the matters worse, if you don't take the car to the dealer or a specialized shop, it could inflict further damage, costing even more. Even replacing the battery costs close to $1000. A friend of mine took his BMW to Pep Boys to have the battery replaced (dealer had asked more than $700) and now the convertible top won't open.

Not to get off-topic, but there is a procedure you must follow to reprogram the tops and windows , it's in the owners manual......on most models...... That, or hook up a tender to the car to prevent power loss.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
If the failing solenoid can be deemed part of the emissions system, it may qualify for the federal emissions warranty. But I'm skeptical of that.

If she bought it new, I would definitely lean on MB to offer some goodwill as it's at least emissions-related. At $3k or less, the car is suddenly worth keeping.

The Federal emissions warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Originally Posted By: Volvohead
If the failing solenoid can be deemed part of the emissions system, it may qualify for the federal emissions warranty. But I'm skeptical of that.

If she bought it new, I would definitely lean on MB to offer some goodwill as it's at least emissions-related. At $3k or less, the car is suddenly worth keeping.

The Federal emissions warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles.

OP is at 110k so that's out. If it's a Pzev vehicle, then it's 15 years/150k. Even if it were, I don't think balance shafts or Camshaft solenoids would be covered, maybe if it was the gas tank/fuel pump. I think most Pzev vehicles were CA cars though.

Why are you guys even replying to this topic? You have some junk third hand information without even actual fault codes and you guys are all going ape over providing useless suggestions!

We should not allow any topic about MIL without having the codes listed here :-(

OP:- This is going to hurt but you ain't helping your co-worker at all! Tell he to take it to MB dealer. If you want to ask help here, do your homework and put the scanner and tell us the codes first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why are you guys even replying to this topic? You have some junk third hand information without even actual fault codes and you guys are all going ape over providing useless suggestions!

We should not allow any topic about MIL without having the codes listed here :-(

OP:- This is going to hurt but you ain't helping your co-worker at all! Tell he to take it to MB dealer. If you want to ask help here, do your homework and put the scanner and tell us the codes first.

"Ain't gonna hurt me at all, Jethro. I didn't ask anyone to diagnose the car "over da internets".....I simply asked about a diagnosis that was already given by two independents that saw the car in person. I asked about the replacement of a Camshaft Adjuster Solenoid.

Seems like everyone else is trying to help, until you came long....So to answer your question, they replied because they tried to help, you replied because you get off on being a wise-***.

In looking at the notice from the Emissions testing facility, it says the codes are P0016 and P0017.

The car was taken to a dealer since the original post, and all of the recalls the car qualifies for have been done, but none remedy these errors. The dealer quoted $6-7k.

Last edited:
Quote:
In looking at the notice from the Emissions testing facility, it says the codes are P0016 and P0017.

Thanks for providing real information now! You could have posted this right in your original topic instead you decided not to bother with relevant information. Anyway, it looks like your friend is in for some serious hurt. By the way, that was first link on google with this problem on Mercedes.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/general-mercedes-benz/1478475-dtcs-p0016-p0017.html

Next time, get the codes before asking for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back