MC Issues New Warning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
That's why you should use Fram Ultra.
Or buy two MC filters at a smaller cost than one Fram Ultra, and arguably provide better filtration for two OCIs.
wink.gif

The MC does not filter better than the Ultra. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
For my application, the cost of two MC is more than an FU. I also like efficiency.

I've been trying to convince Blue to go many filters one OCI, but he's stuck on that 1:1 ratio...

"One filter, One OCI!"
34.gif

Coprolite, you know you want into the club.
cool.gif

To that I say, "FU!"

2 for 1 deals are bargains
laugh.gif

Ultra filters for Ultra oil!

I'm thinking about starting the 2 OCI 1 filter idea now that the ultra is available. which in my case might only be 8k miles to a filter anyway. I could probably pull that off with any filter really. I have personally seen a OCOD go farther on 1 OCI with no problems.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
I'm thinking about starting the 2 OCI 1 filter idea now that the ultra is available. which in my case might only be 8k miles to a filter anyway. I could probably pull that off with any filter really. I have personally seen a OCOD go farther on 1 OCI with no problems.

HA! Your thread is backfiring on you!

More are joining the dark side
02.gif

(Since my Saturn is a cartridge and I have a couple cheap filters for it, I do 1:1 there - so I'm in both camps.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
HA! Your thread is backfiring on you!

More are joining the dark side
02.gif

(Since my Saturn is a cartridge and I have a couple cheap filters for it, I do 1:1 there - so I'm in both camps.)

There are people out there that have gambling problems. And, if all those on the "Dark Side" want to gamble on their engines filtration system, so be it. It's their car, they paid for it, and they can do as they want.
smile.gif

I run the FL910S for 2 OCIs on the Escape. No problems changing the filter every other OCI so far.

BlueOvalFitter's vision of [censored]: (er, that really hot place)

Watching a Jiffy Lube tech reinstall the same OCOD on his car over and over for the rest of eternity.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
BlueOvalFitter's vision of [censored]: (er, that really hot place)

Watching a Jiffy Lube tech reinstall the same OCOD on his car over and over for the rest of eternity.

OMG! I am going to have nightmares for the rest of my life!
shocked2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I run the FL910S for 2 OCIs on the Escape. No problems changing the filter every other OCI so far.

Used engine; $2511.00
http://www.automotix.net/usedengines/200...CFRRynAodEHUA9w

MC FL-910S filter at WM; $3.97
smile.gif

so Blue would you say its ok for someone using synthetic oil to do 1 OCI of 8k miles with 1 filter but not ok to do the same 8k miles on a filter with 2 OCIs of 4k miles?

or what about 2 OCIs of 3k miles with only 1 filter. most filters are proven to last 6k miles no problem. so why is it that adding fresh oil to a filter midway in it's life going to cause it to fail Vs. just doing the same service length but with the same oil the entire OCI.

I'm seriously asking not trying to be a jerk

Last edited:

Used engine; $2511.00

smile.gif

so Blue would you say its ok for someone using synthetic oil to do 1 OCI of 8k miles with 1 filter but not ok to do the same 8k miles on a filter with 2 OCIs of 4k miles?

or what about 2 OCIs of 3k miles with only 1 filter. most filters are proven to last 6k miles no problem. so why is it that adding fresh oil to a filter midway in it's life going to cause it to fail Vs. just doing the same service length but with the same oil the entire OCI.

I would never use the same filter on an engine even if the oil was changed with 1 mile on it.
Do you know what is in that filter from the oil change you are doing with the same filter again? Why risk ruining a $2K (minimum) engine over $3.97 and the few minutes to change it?
You tell me WHY you want to use a filter twice. Is it money, labor, because Tom, ****, or Harry is doing it, or all of the above?
And, I am not trying to be a jerk either. I just want to know what drives someone to use a filter (2) times or more on an OCI, when it's just cheap insurance.
21.gif

I can't force someone to see it my way, and I won't. But I can voice my opinions on here just like any other member can, without any drama.
smile.gif

The chance of getting a 'bad' filter and not noticing it while installing it, while minute, is cut IN HALF when you run 2x OCIs. (ie 2 in a million vs 1
wink.gif
)
Like air filters, oil filters, filter finer and more efficiently as they accumulate debris.
Saves $
Saves oily mess (in some applications), may even save crawling under the car if one uses an extraction device.
Halves oil filter waste
Halves production resources

Those are the first ones off the top of my head.

Used engine; $2511.00

smile.gif

Oh, and I can have fun with my opinions and their opinions, and not get ANAL like some do around here.
cool.gif

The chance of getting a 'bad' filter and not noticing it while installing it, while minute, is cut IN HALF when you run 2x OCIs. (ie 2 in a million vs 1
wink.gif
)

On the other hand, one could say that if the filter that was installed had a problem or failure early in it's life, that it would be on twice as long with 2 OCIs, and double the time the engine was getting some unfiltered oil for instance.

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of your logic.
So its not that you are worried about the filter being over used and stressed to fail but rather you feel the principle of changing oil without the filter also is only completing half the job. running new oil into a filter that could possibly already have dirt it in (even just 1 miles worth) is too much of a risk of contamination that spending the extra 4 bucks is worth it to you? I guess that makes sense as 4 dollars really is a small amount.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
wink.gif
)

On the other hand, one could say that if the filter that was installed had a problem or failure early in it's life, that it would be on twice as long with 2 OCIs, and double the time the engine was getting some unfiltered oil for instance.

Yeah - both ways can be argued. So as long as everyone does what makes them happy and lets them sleep at night - the engines will be just fine.

[correction: it would actually be 1 in a million x2]

wink.gif
)
Like air filters, oil filters, filter finer and more efficiently as they accumulate debris.
Saves $
Saves oily mess (in some applications), may even save crawling under the car if one uses an extraction device.
Halves oil filter waste
Halves production resources

Those are the first ones off the top of my head.

As I have said before, to each his own. I will not force my philosophy on anyone but just to see another approach to it.
smile.gif

the motorcraft filters are definitely good for 10k miles. the new fords have a service interval of 10k. so yes 2 5k oci on a healthy engine is within reason.

if ford says its good for 10k on a 2013 mustang than ill bet it could go 12k or even 15k and be safe.

how often do you hear of a ford engine failing because of a clogged MC filter? probably never.

i agree though at $4 a pop i change every OCI, or 8-10k on the F150 i have.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
i agree though at $4 a pop i change every OCI, or 8-10k on the F150 i have.

What year is your F150 and engine size? What brand/wt.oil are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back