MC filter removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started running MC FL 400S filters on my Toyota 4Runner V6 some time ago and the only problem I have with them is getting a good bite on them to revove the darn things! Is there a filter remover that will grab the MC filter teeth that goes around them so that they will remove better?

Sounds like you're over tightening the filter. If you can't get the filter off by hand you've probably overdone it.

I had this on my Toyota Corolla. No matter how gently I installed it, it seemed to glue itself onto the mount. It was only the case on that particular vehicle, and I installed the filter the same way as with any other vehicle; good coating of new oil on the gasket, 3/4 turn after contact, etc. I never figured out why that car was so different.

g2198_300px.jpg

Last edited:
I use both FL-820S & FL500S filters and can share your frustration. In my experience, the problem is ill-fitting filter wrenches, likely junk items from indifferent manufacturers with sloppy tolerances. If the wrench, when fit onto the can, can be even slightly rotated by hand, it's going to be troublesome...especially in locations that are difficult to service.

My solution was to carry a filter with me as I shopped for proper fitting wrenches. Eventually, I found wrenches that fit snugly, i.e. they actually kind of snap on and off. In my area, there is a wide variety of wrench choices...some are poor, others are great. If you can find a wrench with mini flutes, the fit will be much better. Keep looking.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They make a cup type socket for them. Makes removal super easy.

Would I have to get this at a Ford dealer or would auto parts place like Napa have this?

Originally Posted By: walk23
Sounds like you're over tightening the filter. If you can't get the filter off by hand you've probably overdone it.

+1

Whenever I use a Napa Gold filter on my F-150 I have trouble unscrewing it, but with the Motorcrafts I have no problem.

The unit shown by beast 3300 is handy to have in your tool box. I have 7 different cap type removers, but if some friend needs an oil change and it's a stubborn filter, the one shown above, does the job. FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: walk23

+2

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
The unit shown by beast 3300 is handy to have in your tool box. I have 7 different cap type removers, but if some friend needs an oil change and it's a stubborn filter, the one shown above, does the job. FWIW--Oldtommy

I agree, this tool has NEVER let me down.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
They make a cup type socket for them. Makes removal super easy.

Would I have to get this at a Ford dealer or would auto parts place like Napa have this?

Ford does not sell such a thing as far as I am aware of. That would be something a parts house or a Matco / SnapOn type tool truck would have.

As for the tool shown, I am not a fan. I much prefer the cup style sockets that are shaped to the exact filter.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I started running MC FL 400S filters on my Toyota 4Runner V6 some time ago and the only problem I have with them is getting a good bite on them to revove the darn things! Is there a filter remover that will grab the MC filter teeth that goes around them so that they will remove better?

You need an oil filter cap wrench

This guy suggest:"Another good way to determine what size filter wrench your vehicle takes is to buy a new oil filter that fits your vehicle and measure that. Measure the diameter point to point, not across the flats."

Also, count the number of flats on the filter dome end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-A-Oil...=item45fbbf56fe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back