Mazda Skyactiv Carbon Buildup...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering a new car and the Mazda3 is on the short list. The Skyactiv motor is a 2.0L, NA, DI engine that runs on 87 octane E10 and gets 40 mpg. Compression ratio is 12:1, 13:1, or 14:1, depending on which Mazda document you read. Of course the engine is really too new (first model year in '12) to have the miles to become carboned up. Supposedly, Mazda has done design to minimize carbon build up on the intakes. I'm not sure what, but am wondering if full synthetic oil will be less prone to contributing to carbon build. I've used full syn. in all my engines since 1980 so I'm very comfortable with the product, just not sure how it plays in a DI gas motor.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Supposedly mid/low-SAPs oils help reduce DI carbon build-ups. I'd probably use one of those.

The hard part is finding one of those oils that meet the specs for the manufacturers recommendations in the correct weight.

Last edited:
I run a 2007 MAZDA CX7 DI turbo engine and I have 60,000 trouble free miles. Early engines had PCV problems which caused intake valve buildup. Later engines had no problems. I would not worry about later DI engines as Mazda and most manufactures have solved the valve problem years ago. Ed

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Supposedly mid/low-SAPs oils help reduce DI carbon build-ups. I'd probably use one of those.

The hard part is finding one of those oils that meet the specs for the manufacturers recommendations in the correct weight.

The book states 0W-20 and Mobil1 has that. That's the only recomendation from Mazda that I've found.

Just my opinion but Pennzoil Ultra really seems to be a great oil for DI's. It has very low volatility and is not too expensive considering you can run it to max recommended OCI.

Allow me to just say that I would not be buying a Mazda3 in Ohio if you plan on keeping it. I would be waiting to see if they can solve their rust issues before ever considering a Mazda. In a southern climate, they are fine. In a Northern climate, they are always the first to show rust.

Just Google the problem if you don't believe me. It's a serious enough problem I am surprised not more people know about it before considering a Mazda.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Allow me to just say that I would not be buying a Mazda3 in Ohio if you plan on keeping it. I would be waiting to see if they can solve their rust issues before ever considering a Mazda. In a southern climate, they are fine. In a Northern climate, they are always the first to show rust.

Just Google the problem if you don't believe me. It's a serious enough problem I am surprised not more people know about it before considering a Mazda.

confused.gif
I've had mine for about 6 years now and not a spot of rust.

Let's see, my daughter had an '88 323 DX for several years and then my brother-in-law drove it until it had been totaled twice by other drivers. No rust when he got rid and it had been parked outside all of its life. I also had an '88 323 LX for ten years and it had no rust when I traded it in. I now have an '03 Protege5 since new and it has no rust whatsoever. I think I'll trust that they have improved since then.

Last edited:

maybe your confusing yourself of the 80's gm products.j/k i'm in the rust belt, and see no supportive evidence of your claim.

Originally Posted By: jek
exactly, and iirc Mazda states in the om to use Castrol.

The OM does spec. Castrol for the diesel turbo engine. The only spec. in the book for the Skyactiv G motor is 0W-20. My original question is synthetic better suited to minimize carbon buildup on the intake valves.

Originally Posted By: strongt
If they spec 0W-20 then aren't you having to stick with synthetic's anyhow ?

Well, there's a Homer Simpson moment! I didn't even think that OW-20 wasn't available in regular oil. I've been all wrapped up with the carbon deposit issue on DI motors. thanks.

The Mazda3 is very popular in this area and I haven't seen a single one with rust.

I've never seen a mid-90's Miata with rust either, and there's plenty of those.

Plenty of old RX-7s around that are rust-free.

maybe your confusing yourself of the 80's gm products.j/k i'm in the rust belt, and see no supportive evidence of your claim.

SLCraig: People are doubting you, so I googled Mazda 3 rust, and Mazda 5 rust. Just like you said google's loaded with page after page of complaints. From the US, to Canada, to Finland. All makes and models mostly between the years 2004-2006, but some newer than that.

Just a few examples. Note the posting dates. Some are 3-4 years ago meaning they are in bad shape now:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/07/piston-slap-mazda-protege5-in-god-we-rust/
http://www.randomasrhyme.com/tag/do-mazda-3s-have-rust-problems/
http://www.mymazda5lemon.blogspot.com/
http://tosca.smugmug.com/Cars/Mazda-3-Rust/15527661_dXh2fq#!i=1163100037&k=U4yqd

There is one 3 in the parking lot here. Looks like an 04. I cant tell the age for sure because its...rusty.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

SLCraig: People are doubting you, so I googled Mazda 3 rust, and Mazda 5 rust. Just like you said google's loaded with page after page of complaints. From the US, to Canada, to Finland. All makes and models mostly between the years 2004-2006, but some newer than that.

Just a few examples. Note the posting dates. Some are 3-4 years ago meaning they are in bad shape now:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/07/piston-slap-mazda-protege5-in-god-we-rust/
http://www.randomasrhyme.com/tag/do-mazda-3s-have-rust-problems/
http://www.mymazda5lemon.blogspot.com/
http://tosca.smugmug.com/Cars/Mazda-3-Rust/15527661_dXh2fq#!i=1163100037&k=U4yqd

There is one 3 in the parking lot here. Looks like an 04. I cant tell the age for sure because its...rusty.

People are doubting him because of first hand experience. I will repeat that I have yet to have any rust issues on my Mazda5 and have never had any on my previous Mazdas. That is all of the proof that I need. Have you ever owned a Mazda let alone one with rust issues? I have read some of the internet complaints and the majority of the problem cars were the 02-03 protege5s. Every manufacturer has had some vehicles of certain vintages with rust problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back