Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys hope some one can help:

Mazda 3s

model: 2004

Mileage : 186,000

Engine : 2.3 liters

Transmission : 5 speed manual

I need to check the thickness of my front rotors to see if they are in spec. but i cannot find info on how thick the rotor should be to be in spec.

I know it is stamped on the rotors itself but due to corrosion i cannot see any numbers.

Does anybody knows what the thickness should be ?

Thanks, Tundraz

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
By law the minimum thickness must be stamped directly into the rotor itself.

He said it is, but can't read it due to corrosion.

Originally Posted By: Tundraz
I know [rotor minimum thickness] is stamped on the rotors itself but due to corrosion i cannot see any numbers.

Took about 7 seconds with Google to find this:

Front rotor min thickness = 23mm
Front rotor min thickness after turning = 23.8mm

Rear rotor min thickness = 9mm
Rear rotor min thickness after turning = 9.8mm

min pad thickness for front and rear is 2mm

Hi guys hope some one can help:

Mazda 3s

model: 2004

Mileage : 186,000

Engine : 2.3 liters

Transmission : 5 speed manual

I need to check the thickness of my front rotors to see if they are in spec. but i cannot find info on how thick the rotor should be to be in spec.

I know it is stamped on the rotors itself but due to corrosion i cannot see any numbers.

Does anybody knows what the thickness should be ?

Thanks, Tundraz

The rotor needs to be two flat planes that are parallel. Not all that easy to check before a rotor is turned.

I also found rock auto has rotors for your car starting around $30 each; if you have 186K on the originals, I'd change them.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I also found rock auto has rotors for your car starting around $30 each; if you have 186K on the originals, I'd change them.

RockAuto "rocks" but shipping is a killer for rotors. Look at Amazon free shipping or the NAPA $30 ones are decent if they have them for your vehicle.

It is often a great idea to get new cheap rotors rather than cutting old ones.
This is my first choice.
Remember to clean them with brake cleaner and then wash them .
If you are ambitious, paint the hub part lightly.

Thanks for all the great info guys , you guys are the best.

I were not planning on cutting them , i were planning on replacing them due to the age and mileage but they run so smooth and stop so great i were wondering about the wear on them.

THanks, Tundraz

Thanks for all the great info guys , you guys are the best.

I were not planning on cutting them , i were planning on replacing them due to the age and mileage but they run so smooth and stop so great i were wondering about the wear on them.

THanks, Tundraz

Measure them with a vernier caliper in a few places then. Its wide jaws help to determine if the surfaces are flat and parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back