Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.
The beautiful island of Maui, Hi. has suffered a terrible tragedy. Much of the historic town of Lahaina has been destroyed. There is no electricity, no gasoline and almost no food. Reports say the fires are 80% contained. It will probably take a while to assess the damage and tally the dead and injured.

My brother built a house there. He moved to Thailand after his divorce. He tells me that his daughter survived and she is searching for her mother and friends but nobody knows where his ex is.

Bad situation, keep all these Hawaiians in your thoughts.

1691709514101.jpg

Reuters

I've been to Lahaina several times. A quaint little former whaling community. There was an ancient Banyon Tree in a little park in the middle of the town. I sadly imagine it's gone.

I heard on the news that airlines are flying empty planes in to evacuate people to other islands and the mainland.

Photos show that it's charred but still intact.

3600.jpg
I just read it may be salvegeable. Let's hope so. It is the largest Banyan in the U.S. Over a city block long, over 60 feet tall, and has 16 trunks. We spent part of honeymoon in Lahaina, and vacationed in nearby Ka'anapali in 2003. Very sad to see how quickly everything was destroyed.

I was booked into Lahaina for our vacation late this year. Currently looking at other options on the other islands.
Big bummer for those who live there, and those of us who wanted to visit.

I hate fires. Living here in CA they are part of life. I am proud our Governor has deployed resources to assist the Maui wildfire response.
I hate fires.

Last edited:
People at the airport since Tuesday trying to leave….with the Fleet at Pearl and a lot of USAF transport available…can’t they float or fly those folks off the island?

They had an airlift in Pakistan but we can’t get one going in Hawai?

The fire is so sad. Lahaina is wonderful And what is really sad I would guess in how it will be rebuilt.

my son has a trip planned to maui leaving labor day. i have never been to maui. is the whole island closed?

Currently wearing my wedding ring that we bought in a small shop in Lahaina years ago after losing my original while on a dive a few days earlier. Such a neat place, gone. I feel terrible for the residents.

my son has a trip planned to maui leaving labor day. i have never been to maui. is the whole island closed?
We have the same issue.

Our travel agent has been told that both the Governor and the travel companies are telling folks "don't come to Maui" for the foreseeable future.

The issues are the availability of resources, especially housing. There are still available hotels in the other cities on the island, but the problem is that all those rooms will be needed for clean-up and rebuild efforts for several months. They need all available hotel space to house those local families who are displaced by the fires, as well as the insurance adjusters and deconstruction/reconstruction crews which will be needed for immediate work to begin.

This is no different than if there were a tornado in Pigeon Forge or a flood in New Orleans. Major natural disasters in densely populated areas, especially which have limited access points, make for difficult recovery efforts. Life won't be "normal" in Lahaina for a year or more.

It would not surprise me if travel companies are being told to delay/rebook their clients for many months. My wife and I are already working to revise our trip. There's no way I want to be anywhere near that mess; that would make for a stressful vacation.

High winds are always bad for fires and hurricane Dora has been providing that wind. Ironic that a landfall by the hurricane could have provided the much needed rain.

It would have needed to be a Goldilocks level. But if there was enough rain there probably wouldn't have been a fire spread. But too much and the hurricane would have caused more damage all over several islands.

I just talked to my friend who works with Pacific Disaster Center Global in Maui. Folks that work for him are OK, but many cannot still locate their family members!
I would say telling people to stay away is the right call. From a conversation with him, I would say that people here on the mainland are not aware of the extent of the disaster.

People at the airport since Tuesday trying to leave….with the Fleet at Pearl and a lot of USAF transport available…can’t they float or fly those folks off the island?

They had an airlift in Pakistan but we can’t get one going in Hawai?

They are doing so as we speak. Assets are not instant. The Coast Guard has been running C130’s out of Barbers Point along with Navy and Air Force assets. Small boats and ships are on scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back