Map cracking all over the sidewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
On our Fusion, the OEM Michelins (3 and a half years old) have been map cracking on the sidewalls for awhile. They'll be replaced in the fall anyhow, but I'm curious as to what causes this to happen. It almost looks like dryrot. The car is driven daily, and has never been stored. Is it anything to worry about? I've heard that certain brands/models of tires are more prone to this than others, but I have never gotten an answer as to why.

There and a half years seems pretty early for this to occur. Have you checked your tire warranty? I took a set of Yokohamas back to Discount Tire for the same reason and was given a pro-rata credit.

As you point out, some tires are just more prone to this than others. But the biggest single factors are environmental: direct sunlight and pollutants will accelerate the process. Is your car garaged? Is it parked outdoors in direct sunlight during the workday?

Originally Posted By: Danh
There and a half years seems pretty early for this to occur. Have you checked your tire warranty? I took a set of Yokohamas back to Discount Tire for the same reason and was given a pro-rata credit.

As you point out, some tires are just more prone to this than others. But the biggest single factors are environmental: direct sunlight and pollutants will accelerate the process. Is your car garaged? Is it parked outdoors in direct sunlight during the workday?

The car is parked at home under an awning, so it sees very little direct sunlight there. At work (3 days a week) it is parked outdoors unprotected. Maybe it's because around here we hit road craters (potholes) every 2 seconds, and all that sidewall flexing takes its toll.

I'm willing to bet the tire protectants are what caused your tires to dry rot/crack. It's only happened to me when I've used protectants on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back