Making oil more " sprayable "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
SOHCman, yeah I think ATF would be better than motor oil. Doesnt motor kind of seem acidic? As in, if you left a few drops on a piece of metal, over time it would degrade the metal.......

Also, you could mix WD-40 (from the gallon) and mix it with some kind of oil. I would do this in a small batch as an experiment because I can not think of what would happen! WD-40 tends to clean away grease....grease contains oil.......1+1=2???

They make "air tool oil" that may not gum up on you like the random oil did.

DON"T use the ATF/Acetone mix, as it is obviously acidic by design to help break loose rusty bolts. It doesn't belong in airtools or in engines.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
DON"T use the ATF/Acetone mix, as it is obviously acidic by design to help break loose rusty bolts. It doesn't belong in airtools or in engines.

ATF and acetone can't be acidic.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: SOHCman

ATF and acetone can't be acidic.

My mistake, Thanks for catching that. I was under the impression it has rust eating properties, but it's really just a solvent isn't it.

Regardless, it doesn't belong in an air tool or engine.

Wow this got way off topic. To answer the OP's question; no, adding a solvent will likely not affect the spray pattern. Spray pattern is hardly affected by the viscosity of the liquid unless you are talking some really thick stuff. Since it comes out in a stream now, I am assuming that it is fairly liquid to begin with though.

The spray pattern, whether it is a fine mist or spray or stream, is entirely dependent on the spray nozzle and the pressure of the spray. Nozzle design and the size of the orifices is what decides the pattern of the spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back