Making oil more " sprayable "

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post here. Forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question. There's a few different oils that I use for various things and they will only spray in a stream, they will not mist or atomize. My question is this can I use something like mineral spirits to thin it out and make it more sprayable? Will the solvent evaporate completely leaving the original oil behind unadultered? Will it work with mineral /dino base oils and synthetics? Thank you in advance for your help

Diesel would work as well. I mix acetone and ATF for a bolt breaker, and it becomes "more sprayable."

SOHCman, yeah I think ATF would be better than motor oil. Doesnt motor kind of seem acidic? As in, if you left a few drops on a piece of metal, over time it would degrade the metal.......

Also, you could mix WD-40 (from the gallon) and mix it with some kind of oil. I would do this in a small batch as an experiment because I can not think of what would happen! WD-40 tends to clean away grease....grease contains oil.......1+1=2???

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
SOHCman, yeah I think ATF would be better than motor oil. Doesnt motor kind of seem acidic? As in, if you left a few drops on a piece of metal, over time it would degrade the metal.......

Also, you could mix WD-40 (from the gallon) and mix it with some kind of oil. I would do this in a small batch as an experiment because I can not think of what would happen! WD-40 tends to clean away grease....grease contains oil.......1+1=2???

What? Oil is basic due to the additive package. It will not eat metal. LOLOL.

WD40 is horrible. It's banned in aerospace for a reason.

Thin the motor oil with kerosene or some mmo or seafoam or lighter fluid.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

When was it banned in Aerospace?
It was originally designed for Atlas Rockets to stop corrosion.
They used to charge the cans with propane which made it a fire hazard while spraying now it uses Co2.

Originally Posted By: Koz1

They used to charge the cans with propane which made it a fire hazard while spraying now it uses Co2.

This isn't 1950. WD40 absorbs moisture and worsens corrosion.

Did your mother tell you that?

Atlas rockets were designed and built later than that. WD 40 "absorbs" water?? I guess that's why you can dry an ignition system with it. "Water Dispersants don't absorb water, they repell it. You are a mass of misinformation.

All the discussion here about the TBN of motor oil and you think it's "acidic"? What a waste of time.

How about a little more pressure?

I have no issues atomizing car well rustproofing oil that is cold soaked at freezing temps, using 40psi.

Otherwise for oil, I'd look at a bit less viscous oil, or else mineral spirits or naphtha, depending upon spraying temperatures.

Pardon the misdirection, but this reminds me of the early 2000's, when I was reading about ceramic engine blocks, and engines lubed by "oil vapors".

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

All the discussion here about the TBN of motor oil and you think it's "acidic"? What a waste of time.

I cannot think up an example, but I "thought" I had wiped some tools down with it and it 'etched' the metal or something. Or maybe used it on a bicycle chain, or some other metal parts and it left it being 'less pretty'. So, I say, if I need to reword it, PCMO is not a good all around general purpose oil. It is made specific to run in engines. While it may seem that " since it is good enough for engines it should be plenty extra good for anything else". How is that?

Kind of the, if some is good, then more must most certainly be better line of thinking/deducing.

I cannot think up an example, but I "thought" I had wiped some tools down with it and it 'etched' the metal or something. Or maybe used it on a bicycle chain, or some other metal parts and it left it being 'less pretty'. So, I say, if I need to reword it, PCMO is not a good all around general purpose oil. It is made specific to run in engines. While it may seem that " since it is good enough for engines it should be plenty extra good for anything else". How is that?

Kind of the, if some is good, then more must most certainly be better line of thinking/deducing.

No. If it etched metal then imagine what it does to your engine with all sorts of different metals being wetted by the oil.

No.

I was fairly confident myself that motor oil had corrosion inhibitors in it as well as something in the additive pack to neutralize acidic contamination, like you see especially in egr equipped diesel engines

I remembered about the time I saw a deer get into a wreck or near miss on Interstate Twenty.

I had moved into my house (was moving in) and we had a pneumatic nail gun that was going fine....then I got ahold of it and saw oil daily marked on the air inlet......in went a few drops/a squirt from my oil can which is usually motor oil or ATF and it would struggle to launch any more nails.

Then, I brought it up on GJ and someone said, like, oil mixes with water/condensation in the neglected air tool and gumms up. He suggested Kroil if air tool oil wasnt handy........paraphrasing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back