Makes ya think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

By my estimates, I get about 20 mpg average from my 93 Crown Vic. I am looking to move to the 30mpg average area when I buy another car in the near future. BTW, the price for one US gallon of gas in my area is currently $4.20 in Canadian dollars.

$50/month jumping from 20-30 isnt much, but it does count quite a bit if you need to change cars.

JMH

One thing to consider is total cost. If you are paying $400 for car $100 for insurance for a new car, disregarding tag, taxes etc, it means you are spending $6000 a year before driving a mile.

My car gets about 15mgp in town 22 on the highway. But its paid for and has antigue tag (meaning never buy another one again). So all i have to account for is cost of gas, normal maintence and cheap insurance since I dont have to protect the bank loan. Safety is good too, its made of real steel and will roll up three or four tin can cars if i get in a wreck.

Much more meaningful than just mpg costs. You can get 40mpg and still spend way too much for car due to the other costs.

Dan

Now just for fun, consider you keep your car for 100,000 or 200,000 miles! Even if gas prices don't increase how soon will the more economical car pay for itself?

My Geo Metro gets ~42 mpg. Call it 40. Compared to, say, a 25 mpg car, with gas at $4+ per gallon here in Canada, that saves $60 per 1000 miles. I've put about 50k miles on it since I got it 5 years ago. Savings of $3000. Not bad. I've spent about half of that on repairs/maintenance. Guess I should blow the other half getting it tricked out with a spoiler or something. Maybe get it painted pink.
wink.gif

I average 71 miles per gallon for the 5-day work week. Seriously!

Gas is about $3 gal in CT. I take the bus Mon-Thur and pay $2.50 round trip, which is 90 miles per day, so that's roughly 108mpg. Then I drive in on Fridays, getting 30mpg in my Saab 9-5.

I have no sympathy for those in my office that complain about gas prices. Only if they were smart enough to change their behavior, like using public transportation or buying a more economical car. These are the same people that buy a few cups of coffee every day and eat out for lunch, even though we have a large fridge and 2 coffee makers (one makes instant cups) in the office. Geez.

If I had a daily commute, I would get my 87 Omni 5 speed out of storage and fix it up. It used to get 30+mpg when I was working. I've got as high as 39 MPG when traveling at 55mph. It would do 33 mpg all day long on trips going the speed limit with the A/C on wide open.

I've posted the numbers before, in North America, for most, the "hardware" costs more than the fuel.

Let me see if I can find a post with my analysis, so I need not type it again.

quote:

Originally Posted By javaContour April 12, 2006 10:15 AM

I look at how much gas costs in comparison to the total cost of vehicle ownership.

Gas at $3/gallon or $5/gallon is still the cheapest thing you buy for a vehicle.

My $2500 Geo Prizm, after driving over 75000 miles in the past three years, fuel is still only at 43.6% of total ownership costs.

Now if you own a $25000 vehicle instead of a $2500 vehicle then that 43.6% for fuel becomes only 13.75% of the total operating costs, holding Insurance and License, Fuel Economy, Maintenance the same.

Unless you are driving a beater, the biggest cost of driving is the purchase of your vehicle.

Looking at everything else for the Geo, save fuel economy, the cost/mile is $0.08. At 31.8 avg MPG over my 75K miles, the cost/mile of fuel is:

Fuel fuel/mile
$2.00 $0.06
$2.25 $0.07
$2.50 $0.08
$2.75 $0.09
$3.00 $0.09
$3.50 $0.11
$4.00 $0.13
$5.00 $0.16
$7.50 $0.24
$10.00 $0.31

For those of you driving something significantly newer than a '94 Geo Prizm, your non-fuel costs are from $0.25 - $0.35/mile.

So for a $25K car that gets 32 MPG, your fuel costs become approx 1/3rd of your total operating costs at $5.00/gallon and approx 1/2 of your total operating costs at $7.50 to $10/gallon.

So quit griping. If you want to save money, start where the real savings are located, in the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back