Magnets for oil filters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoo wee... Never heard of this before. Sounds like a good idea in theory. Just wondering if the flow of the oil through the filter would disrupt the deposits of metal particulars? If not this should be an effective way taking out metal particles circulating thruogh your engine....

UniMag002-30.jpg

Look at the deposits sticking to the inside of this filter...

UM16S.JPG

Website Link:

https://www.synlube.com/magnets.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, so much for pics. This is from their website:

The magnets used in UNIMAG™ are special formulation of Neodymium (the Rare Earth element), Iron, and Boron. These Patented Super Magnets are 10 times stronger than ordinary Ceramic magnets and do not lose their magnetic charge with time or when exposed to heat.

Each unit consists of several independent hard chromium coated magnets that are of opposite N/S orientation. Through its strong magnetic force UNIMAG™ attracts and removes from fluid flow ferromagnetic particles that are too small to be captured by conventional filter media.

Oil filters alone cannot trap these microscopic particles, because conventional cellulose oil filters are designed to capture particles in 60 to 20 micron range.

While SynLube™ Lube−4−Life® Oil Filters with MicroGlass™ fiber elements will filter down to 5 micron particle range. Still particles smaller than 5 micron and as large as 10 micron will remain in circulation and can cause a secondary wear.

Also finely distributed iron particles of sub-micronic size do act as oxidation co-catalysts and will cause the oil to deteriorate at faster rate

https://www.synlube.com/magnets.html

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is whether the deposits would have been caught by the filter media anyway.

IMO.....If the filter is in "By Pass" mode.....the filter will stop very little if nothing at all. IMO....Most vehicles are in the by-pass mode on start up and some are in by-pass mode until the engine and oil reach operating temps. IMO....the use of a Filter Mag should catch most, if not all, of the metal particles from re-circulating in your engine.

BTW.....I use a Filter Mag. I am not an employee or spokesperson for the company. You can also use the rare earth magnets out of discarded computer Hard Drives.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
My question is whether the deposits would have been caught by the filter media anyway.

A recent short test by Blackstone Labs was inconclusive re if magnets attached to the engine reduce the amount of iron particles in oil.

Therefore no conclusive third party results that I have seen.

eddie

That is very interesting.

Can you please provide a link to the Blackstone "short test" since I, and maybe others, have not seen this short test and the results.

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
A recent short test by Blackstone Labs was inconclusive re if magnets attached to the engine reduce the amount of iron particles in oil.

eddie

I read somewhere the down side to magnets is if by chance particles get slightly magnetized and exit the filter [Its possible I'm sure] they could attach to ferrous metal engine parts and cause possible damage. Food for thought I guess.

The same company that sells the Magnefine sells an adapter where the oil on its way to the oil filter goes past some magnets. If indeed magnets will help, that is the place they need to be.

IMO....if the metal caught by the magnets, somehow becomes dislodged from the magnetic force/oil filter, in all likelihood the filter would catch the particles.....the same way people without magnets, have particles trapped in the filter.

IMO...If these particles were magnetized especially with wire the wire screen backing on the filter or a metal center-tube.

IMO....the major concern I have with the filtermag is if someone steals the filtermag off the oil filter towards the end of the OCI. Then any accumulated iron and steel would have to be caught by the filter with the magnet gone.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO.....If the filter is in "By Pass" mode.....the filter will stop very little if nothing at all. IMO....Most vehicles are in the by-pass mode on start up and some are in by-pass mode until the engine and oil reach operating temps. Hard Drives.

Mongo, I think you are under some misapprehensions about bypass operation.

Indeed, cold starts are the most likely time for bypass but it isn't a given if you run the correct oil viscosity and keep the revs low while the oil is warming up. And bypass isn't a full open or full shut deal. The valve opens by degrees according to DP (differential pressure). If the valve cracking pressure is 8 psi and the DP reaches 8.5 psi, then the valve will open a tiny bit. Most of the oil is still flowing thru the filter but the overpressure is flowing past.

Bypass is usually a fairly momentary period. The valve pops briefly. Also most oil in most engines is relatively clean (look at an average UOA and see), so a little bypassed oil is not a problem in the big picture.

How much the valve opens is directly related to DP. Most oil filter spec sheets list only the full open spec. Puro, to their credit, lists a range, in which the low number is the valve cracking pressure and the high is the full open.

The filter on my F150 is rated at 8-16 psi. I have a differential pressure gauge on my F150, and have been monitoring the gauges for 10K miles and nearly 2 years. Even though my engine has 10W30 oil (rated for 5W20) and gets cold started in a winter climate (NW Ohio), bypass events are few. Even fewer if I work hard at keeping the revs low when the oil is cold. With the 10W30, once the oil reaches 150-160F, I have very little chance of reaching bypass unless I rev up to 5,000 rpm. BTW, the filter has 15,000 miles on it.

A typical cold start, when the engine flares for cat light-off, I might see 6-8 psi... right up against the cracking pressure. As soon as the engine comes down to idle, it drops way down to 4-5 psi. Driving off, If stay below 3000 rpm, DP never reaches 8 psi and by the time oil temp makes it to 185 or so, DP is 2-4 psi depending on the rpm. Again, that's with a filter that has 15K miles and oil that is at least one grade thicker than spec'ed (that is a test). Thinner oil and a less loaded fiterl would equate to lower DP. I am due for an oil change now and 5W20 is going back in, as will a new oil filter, and we'll see how the baseline changes. DP should drop a LOT! Once I have a baseline with a new MC filter and 5W20, I have a stack of filters I was sent to test for DP with the filter in a new state.

As to magnets, I suspect they work but I have not seen any data to show what we are getting for our money. Lots of money. UOAs are inconclusive... the iron doesn't change much at all and neither does a particle count. I have magnets on a couple of my tractors and the before and after UOAs and particle counts were inconclusive. Much of what I have seen elsewhere is also inconclusive in that regard.

My thinking is that what the magnet is catching and makes for such whizbang advertising images is the mostly the same stuff the filter would catch normally. Yes, magnets can get very small and submicronic particles as well, but the smallest particles have little effect on engine wear.

The magnets do have an effect on filter life. Every particle the magnet catches is one pore in the media that won't get blocked. Not sure if that's worth the money in most cases.

I think the best venue for these things is an engine that naturally sheds a lot of iron, such as an old school flat tappet engine and/or engines with Morse chains. A Chevy smallblock for example. Some diesels. Many modern engines use roller cams or rockers, which shed very little metal, and they use external timing belts instead of internal chains, so their iron contamination is very much lower. That would significantly reduce the benefit of having the magnet and detract from the ROI

Honda uses magnetic drain plugs in their transmissions, Toyota uses them in some differentials and magnets in the transmission pans of most of their automatics...so they must work. I do get some debris when I change the oil and wipe off the magnets. But how much "secondary" or "accelerated" wear they prevent is a toss up. I think staying away from extended oil drains is a better investment than filter magnets.

I think they are a great idea on a drain plug.

It gives you a reasonable idea if there is a major problem going on in the engine or trans.

If you only see a thin fine layer of iron mud, no big deal. But if you see thick bristly fuzz when trying a new fluid for example...

Originally Posted By: mongo161
That is very interesting.

Can you please provide a link to the Blackstone "short test" since I, and maybe others, have not seen this short test and the results.

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns

eddie

It may have been in this newsletter:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/March-1-2013.php

Filter magnets have been approved by the FAA for over two decades now. If its good enough for the FAA to say you can use these on planes, then I guess it won't hurt my car any. If you want to save money on magnets, go get the magnets(for free) out of a bad hard drive.

ROD

My Harley has a magnetic drain plug. Changing oil in the past it always came out fuzzy. Then I switched to a different oil and the magnet has been barley fuzzy since.
I guess if it suddenly shows full of fluff & stuff, then might be a visual clue that something is going on.

I have some strong rare earth magnets (used when prospecting) that I might place on the end of the filter, and since I cut my used filters, maybe next time pull the innards and see what the bottom of the can looks like, leaving magnet on end of can. A thought anyway.

I put a hard drive magnet on the oil pan near the drain plug.
I think it's better to have the magnet on or near the drain plug than the filter because the oil is moving by more slowly and the particles will collect and stay in place more.

If you put a magnet near the drain plug how do you clean the fuzzy stuff off?

On 2 delivery vans we put a magnet on the oil pan of one van and on the oil filter of another. Both vans are driven on exactly the same route and the same 5 drivers drive either van, day in and day out. We looked at the deposits inside the oil pan with a flexible fiber optic viewer and cut the oil filters open for viewing. The oil filters always collected more fuzz than the oil pan. Now all the deliver vehicles get magnets on the oil filters.

Very interesting OneEye, thanks for sharing the observation. I was thinking that it would be difficult to remove all of the fuzzy material from the oil pan as some would certainly 'stick' imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back