M1HM 0w20 now has dexos1Gen3 approval

wemay

Site Donor 2023
20240502_083807.jpg

There are two things that customers pay for on that container, and those have nothing to do with the lubricant inside the container: the Dexos 1 Gen 3 license logo, and the NASCAR logo. I get that some will buy it for the Dexos branding, even when they don't own a GM vehicle, which is weird, but how many buy it because of the NASCAR emblem?

I'm surprised we haven't seen oils that "meets or exceeds" or "suitable replacement for" from oil companies without the formal Dexos approvals, like we see with other oils not officially approved by manufacturers.

I'm surprised we haven't seen oils that "meets or exceeds" or "suitable replacement for" from oil companies without the formal Dexos approvals, like we see with other oils not officially approved by manufacturers.
I can't remember which off the top of my head but I've seen it more than once.

I would like to see exceeds manufacture specs, instead of meets or exceeds. But I guess in reality, full synthetic, does exceed most vehicles specifications, that doesn't require it.. at least I would hope..

There are two things that customers pay for on that container, and those have nothing to do with the lubricant inside the container: the Dexos 1 Gen 3 license logo, and the NASCAR logo. I get that some will buy it for the Dexos branding, even when they don't own a GM vehicle, which is weird, but how many buy it because of the NASCAR emblem?
Back in its hey day, NASCAR had insane brand loyalty. No longer a fan, but based on the continuous rotating driver spnsors and the fact the Cup series doesn’t even have a sponsor, I’d guess not that many. I suspect having that logo doesn’t cost near what it did 30 years ago

Motorcraft does that. As GM wouldn’t give ford / p66 a Dexos license for the full synthetic 5w30 and 0w20 motorcraft.

Back