M1 taxi engine tear down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: stchman

IMO, a Las Vegas taxis is a brutal way for a car to exist.

Nonsense. The fact that LV weater makes you uncomfortable, doesn't mean it uncomfortable for engine. Engine likes 100C (212F). 100F in LV is very mild for engine.

So I gather your first choice for a used car would be a former Las Vegas taxi?

Sure! If I can find one with low miles. As a bonus, I expect to see no rust.

It wasn't as clean as I had expected, however the bearings were absolutely immaculate (and I was surprised to see GM using bi-metal bearings).

A few observations:

-The bores were perfect from what I could see

-The pistons didn't look great, some rather noticeable discolouration on the sides.

-The bearings were perfect. They looked brand new.

-The camshaft looked excellent

-The valve covers, the very slight condensed build-up is typical and in general I think they looked very clean.

-The heads were quite clean.

-The rockers were clean, but there was some discolouration on them.

-The valley (what little we saw of it) also looked good. Though not as clean as some of the 302's I've been into.

The program was also pretty much what I had expected. It is designed to sell the brand, so having you sit there while those guys slowly tear the engine completely apart wasn't going to work. They used the fast motion footage instead and then pulled a BITOG and popped the valve covers on the other engine, LOL!

This is more a "no duh" kind of video.

Of course, any late model vehicle subjected to city driving for most of the day will and use any name brand oil will result in a clean looking engine if maintenance is kept up to date.

I would have liked to see the exact same test side by side with Pennzoil Ultra! I did not think that the pistons were all too clean looking to me!

Made for TV advertising,what did you guys expect to see anyways?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I would have liked to see the exact same test side by side with Pennzoil Ultra! I did not think that the pistons were all too clean looking to me!

In the PU add, the part of the piston they show is the skirt area of the piston and it is very clean, but no cleaner than the the skirt of the M1 piston in their video. The part PU never shows is the boss area or the under side of the piston. PU very cleaverly doesn't show those parts of the piston, which are the areas most prone to varnish, but in the M1 video they do, and there is some varnish. Re-check the video and compare it to the PU piston add.

Last edited:
Did Mobil ever share the results of their full tear down? I remember November 22nd being the date they were going to reveal the results but I don't see anything about it on their website or Facebook page.

Originally Posted By: nleksan
It's Las Vegas, even the cold starts aren't really all that cold!

While a taxi sees far less than ideal driving circumstances, I'd be willing to bet that they still see better than the vast, VAST majority of engines. Taxi companies have a very vested interest in keeping the car on the road as long as possible, and consequently the maintenance schedules for the cars are typically extremely strict, so much so that I'd be willing to bet that on average they're better maintained than the average persons car to the point that the taxi with 350k miles will have the same or less wear than the avg car at 35k.

Still, it's advertising. I have done plenty of teardowns, and the only time I've been truly impressed was with my 2.8L I6 that had zero carbon buildup aside from minor varnish, completely clean valves, perfect compression, and not even a single visible mark on any of the cam lobes.... After 7x,xxx miles of which a few K were track miles, and a good deal were with a (at the time stock) Lysholm 2.3L twin-screw supercharger pushing 9psi of boost into the engine, one running a compression ratio of 10.8:1 static!
The only fluids it had seen was Redline and some Royal Purple (SL, high ZDDP), with the filters being Mahle, Mann, K&N, and AFE for the oil, and either Mahle (OEM) panel or AFE ProDryS cone air filters.

Additives? Redline SI-1, Redline Water Wetter, Seafoam in gas rarely, and Techron.

Since then, I have seen very clean engines and very dirty engines, but the only ones I've seen with almost no visible wear have been using RL with short-ish OCI's. Everything else, from M1 5w40 to AMSOIL, has always had visible wear, even with fewer miles.
Oh, and I know this is anecdotal, and the majority of these motors see a fair bit of track time, but I am just sharing my actual experience...

Whether in Vegas or the Yukon if the metal parts are cold enough to shrink its a cold start.
Only when the engines internals and the oils temps have levelled off are we looking at optimum operating conditions.
So until an engine achieves operating temps is wear minimalized.

Originally Posted By: 10cent
Did Mobil ever share the results of their full tear down? I remember November 22nd being the date they were going to reveal the results but I don't see anything about it on their website or Facebook page.

I posted this question on their video but no reply. i bet we never see the complete teardown on this engine.

Originally Posted By: Arctic388

I posted this question on their video but no reply. i bet we never see the complete teardown on this engine.

Hmmmmm, tig, what say you?

Wow. I'm surprised they won't deliver on giving us some pictures at least on the rest of the teardown. I guess we won't be seeing anymore live engine tear downs. I think Mobil is happy that not many people watched this production. I'm a fan too, just seems their heart wasn't in this.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

Wow. I'm surprised they won't deliver on giving us some pictures at least on the rest of the teardown. I guess we won't be seeing anymore live engine tear downs. I think Mobil is happy that not many people watched this production. I'm a fan too, just seems their heart wasn't in this.

Is it possible they found something not good. And simply don't want to show it?

There are some fleet managers here. I value their input waaay more than a test by an oil brand with an advertising budget..

Practical experience trumps statistics any time with me.

If the engine was "bad" during tear down, I sure as heck wouldn't blame the oil, M1 or anyone else with appropriate specifications. Sometimes, you come across a bad engine, or a bad driver.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Or they had five viewers (one of whom was tig1 and they don't have to worry about keeping his business), and they decided to cut their losses.
wink.gif

When he gets off the phone with his superiors regarding getting more pics posted, he's going to let you have it!
lol.gif

I'd be surprised if they had anything they were trying to hide from this test.

I bet they DID see something bad and that's why they cut it off. Most likely not the oil's fault, but it would look bad in the eyes of those who don't know better.

Hey, remember the "Hero" Ecoboost engine that Ford tortured every which a way and then tore it down at the New York auto show before an audience? Check out that video and see how clean that engine was inside.
I wonder what oil was used in that engine. If it was a Motorcraft product it sure worked well in that engine.
Of course with all the fuel dilution that goes on with the EB engine, outright fuel wash might be the reason for such clean innards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back