M1 Severe Service Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice he says "looks like", "looks like", etc., etc. I don't care about what it "looks like" after you've cleaned all of the parts.

Why not measure the parts, clearances, etc. and compare those to new specs and then let me be the judge of how well the oil did?

Ed

Are there any other brands of synthetic that would not have performed similarly? M1 is top-notch oil, but not leagues above the rest.

Wonder how many of these tests are performed that dont really show the results they want and get thrown out. I am sure we only see all the positive tests. Which makes their oil look great, 100% of the time.

Originally Posted By: dmdx86
Are there any other brands of synthetic that would not have performed similarly? M1 is top-notch oil, but not leagues above the rest.

Many of us clearly know that. However, M1 is readily available everywhere. From WalMart, to Napa and any auto parts store nationwide. That makes it an easy choice.

In addition, the specialized M1 products really do match, sometimes exactly, the worlds best oils. For Example, M1, 10W-40 MX4t 4 stroke motorcycle oil (and it's 20W-50 companion) are at or near the very top of many tests. Exactly matching in each detail, products from Motul and coming extremely close to those from Amsoil. Amsoil purchases the base stock from Mobil....

Their "Million Mile" test seemed far more comprehensive.

I crunched the numbers they came up with from that test, and here's what I had to say in that post some time ago:
Originally Posted By: "B320i"
They mention the test ran for 4 years, and a million miles. People here are questioning whether the test was valid, because the engine was running highway miles and was generally warmed up the whole time.
However, if you put the math together (failing to take into account the 50K durability test done in the beginning)...
1,000,000 / 4 = 250K annually
250,000 / 365 = 684 miles daily,
Which, if you /24 to get an hourly average = about 29 mph.
Mobil's video states the vehicle was running between 45 and 85mph during their extended test. These figures suggest the car was only running around half the time the test took... Could this suggest a daily cold-start? Or downtime?

A few years back Mobil 1 had a test with a Mercedes Benz running 24x7 and tore the engine down with little wear.

Not surprised by Mobil 1 protecting the engine.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
A few years back Mobil 1 had a test with a Mercedes Benz running 24x7 and tore the engine down with little wear.

I remember seeing that too. Once an engine is warmed up and running it doesn't get any better than that for the engine. So those tests don't impress me much. If you want to impress me show me how well the oil does in cold climates being started and stopped with cool down periods in between. Short hopping a cold engine, do a 100K mile test of that. Then tear it down and mic it up. May the best oil win. Those are the tests they don't want you to see.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I remember seeing that too. Once an engine is warmed up and running it doesn't get any better than that for the engine. So those tests don't impress me much. If you want to impress me show me how well the oil does in cold climates being started and stopped with cool down periods in between. Short hopping a cold engine, do a 100K mile test of that. Then tear it down and mic it up. May the best oil win.

A couple of things.

1) The other oil producers don't seem to do these kind of test, and they are expensive to perform.

2) Since you believe cold temp starts are a better indicator of engine wear(actually XM does have a cold start facility for testing)doesn't that bode well for 0-20 and 0-30 oils.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I remember seeing that too. Once an engine is warmed up and running it doesn't get any better than that for the engine. So those tests don't impress me much. If you want to impress me show me how well the oil does in cold climates being started and stopped with cool down periods in between. Short hopping a cold engine, do a 100K mile test of that. Then tear it down and mic it up. May the best oil win.

A couple of things.

1) The other oil producers don't seem to do these kind of test, and they are expensive to perform.

2) Since you believe cold temp starts are a better indicator of engine wear(actually XM does have a cold start facility for testing)doesn't that bode well for 0-20 and 0-30 oils.

No argument here, I just tossed my 2 cents in about these types of tests and my opinion of them. I heard about their cold test facility, and saw the video. However that's not used much if any in their advertising, or their test result ads.

Since the most wear occurs during a cold start and while the engine is coming to operating temps, that's what has a large impact on engine wear. That's what I'm most interested in. Once an engine is warmed up and running that's when the least wear is occurring. However people hear about tests showing an engine running for hours on end, day after day they're interested. That's great for the oil companies advertising, and the easiest on the engine, win win. We're Bitoger's we know better.

The company that can achieve the lowest amount of wear during the most crucial time, cold starts and warming up is a company I'm interested in. I'm not picking on XOM I've used their oils for years. I also doubt I'll be seeing much advertising showing my type of test from any of the oil companies.
frown.gif

What'd be really fun,would be to see this test side by side,M1 in one engine and a leading name brand conventional in the other. Then the same tear down and inspection.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What'd be really fun,would be to see this test side by side,M1 in one engine and a leading name brand conventional in the other. Then the same tear down and inspection.

That might be another test that they'd rather not do. Once the engine is warmed up and running my guess is the results would be too close to measure. Now take that cold start test I was talking about, the synthetic oil might just excel.
wink.gif

AFAIK, Delo400 was the first oil to go 1M miles in a big rig on the road in all conditions. Followed about 6 months later by Delvac. That was a while ago. But it was real world testing in fleet operations (all conditions including down time).

Our local East Bay Transit system has documented 1M mile motors on some of their older buses running 8V92 Detroits on Pennzoil straight 40wt. Detroits are notoriously hard on oil because of the exhaust ports and the oil control rings. If you can take a Detroit 1M miles, you are definitely a good oil
smile.gif

Point being that many oils are capable of going 1M miles with due diligence and regular services. Glad Mobil1 can, but it ain't an exclusive club ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back