M1 filter for 2x5K OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: walk23
Use a cheaper filter and change with the oil change. There are better filters than M1.

Name them please.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Amsoil, RP, Micro Green

None of those are cheaper. You advised to use a cheaper filter and change it more frequently, then stated that there are better filters than the M1. So what filter is less expensive and better?

Or were you attempting to make those two items mutually exclusive?

And if that is the case, then what is the logic in advising somebody to use a less expensive filter, but then stating there are better quality filters than the one in question, but cost more? The latter point is irrelevant if you are advising the use of an inexpensive filter. And the prior point is irrelevant if somebody is using a "money is no object" approach to filter purchasing. Yet you are touching on both in the same statement.

Do you just happen to have a personal bias against the M1 filter perhaps?

The only filter I can think of that has a higher filtration rate and is less expensive (for folks in the US, not Canadians) is the PureONE. And it has a lighter-weight can and dome-end bypass, whilst the M1 has a very heavy can and in a great number of applications, a threaded-end bypass. Making it a "better" constructed filter.

Now of course what I'm inferring from your post is that the glass-media filters are superior to traditional filter media and synthetic blend media found in filters like the K&N, Mobil 1, and PureONE.

On this point I tend to generally agree. Glass media is more dense and so has a higher contaminant capacity. Donaldson's pioneering of this technology has opened the door for a reasonably long list of filter manufacturers using this technology, most of which were not mentioned in your post.

However, just because a filter has synthetic glass media doesn't mean it is a "better" filter:

The RP is 99% efficient @ 25 microns
The Mobil 1 is 99.2% efficient at 15 microns
The AMSOIL is 98.7% efficient at 15 microns

No info that I could find on the Micro Green, which seems to function something like a mini version of the Fleetguard Venturi filter, which has a built-in bypass filter, where some of the oil is filtered down to the (in the case of the Micro Green) 2-micron level. However, they don't say how efficient their full-flow media is in multi-pass efficiency (unless I missed it) so I'm not sure it can be readily compared to the others in question.

So, going by the above list, the Mobil 1 is the most efficient filter of the bunch, whilst the AMSOIL likely has a higher contaminant holding capacity. One would be better for drains up to say 15,000 miles, the other up to say 25,000 miles.... Which corresponds with their manufacturer's mileage recommendations.

Overkill,
walk23 should have known better than to have made his post without any data to back it up.
As I indicated above in reply to you, there are much cheaper filters that match the efficiency of the M1.
The P1 is a salient example.
I have used M1 oil filters, as well as K&Ns, but only where there was a deal of some sort that made them reasonably priced.
I don't run an oil filter long enough to make the marginal cost of something like an M1 reasonable.
Were I driving an M5, I'd likely be very particular about what oil filter I used, as well as the oil.
I'm not, so my tastes are much broader for oil and filter.
Nothing wrong with an M1 oil filter, but there is no point in running one for two OCIs just to justify the cost of the filter.
One might find it desirable to plan to use a high spec oil filter for two OCIs if he happened to own one of those cars where the filter is really hard to get to.
Cut the pain of oil filter R&R in half.
That would be a good reason to run a filter 2X OCI.
Otherwise, what's the point in buying a costly filter that filters no better and running it 2X?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Overkill,
walk23 should have known better than to have made his post without any data to back it up.
As I indicated above in reply to you, there are much cheaper filters that match the efficiency of the M1.
The P1 is a salient example.
I have used M1 oil filters, as well as K&Ns, but only where there was a deal of some sort that made them reasonably priced.
I don't run an oil filter long enough to make the marginal cost of something like an M1 reasonable.
Were I driving an M5, I'd likely be very particular about what oil filter I used, as well as the oil.
I'm not, so my tastes are much broader for oil and filter.
Nothing wrong with an M1 oil filter, but there is no point in running one for two OCIs just to justify the cost of the filter.
One might find it desirable to plan to use a high spec oil filter for two OCIs if he happened to own one of those cars where the filter is really hard to get to.
Cut the pain of oil filter R&R in half.
That would be a good reason to run a filter 2X OCI.
Otherwise, what's the point in buying a costly filter that filters no better and running it 2X?

I think the rub lies in the particle size. I had to look up the test protocol that Mobil uses to find the micron rating. It isn't published on their site. If you look at what I posted above, it indeed appears that if the P1 is 99.9 @ 20 microns, and the M1 99.2% at 15 microns, the M1 may in fact filter better. But I think we are splitting hairs at that point. The PureONE is a good filter, I have a pile of them in my stash. Got them for a great price. Same with my M1 filters: Got them on sale. Up here, the M1 filter is significantly cheaper than the EaO, and on-par with the Donaldson and Fleetguard filters price-wise. PureONE's are next to impossible to get, and if you can order them, they are more expensive than the M1 filter. FWIW, the M1 filter being available up here is very recent.

I can agree with the rest of your points.

I just wonder about the seal. What if you take off the filter, dump the oil and reinstall it, just wonder if it damage the seal or not .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back