M1 filter for 2x5K OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried 2 once. The problem was getting it off after being on the car for a year. The oil I put on the seal at installation did no good, like it was welded on.

M1, K&N and Bosch D+ can really go the distance.....I agree with 4 OCI as long as your engine is clean.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
An M1, depending on what Oil, could probably go 4 OCI's and be alright. Those things are robust.

I'm one to push oil filters to their recommend capacity but not to push it over the limit.

M1 oil is rated for 15k. The filter is designed to handle that interval. With 5k OCIs, I'd run it for 3x. 4 is pushing it, unless the engine is extremely clean and sheds very little metal with 5k OCIs (UOA verified)

From what I've seen, what plugs filters these days is not metals, but the breakdown of the oil itself (you might call it sludge). On the 7.5k+ mile dino run filter's I've cut, there's no perceivable metal (by the naked eye); but defiantly some black [censored] caught by the media.

Two 5k OCI's? Yeah, could probably do it. But what oil are you using, what engine and what's your driving style?

I think Mobil's 15k mile claims are right, but also based on usage of synthetic oils too.

I'm planning to use synth for 5k. Manual states 3750/7500 severe/normal OCI. About half of the miles are hwy in 100F heat with full A/C and heavy traffic on the way back. I drive around 40-50 miles a day. I don't want to push it for warranty purposes. I am afraid KIA may state that my conditions are severe and should not have gone with the longer OCI. Or should I go with a cheap dino 3x3333miles OCI on the filter?

What is Kia's deffinition of severe? If you are concerned about keeping your warranty valid I would follow their guidlines. Does the manual allow for multiple OCIs on a filter?

I had this same exact M1-104 filter on my dad's car for 2 years (15K miles) but I changed oil every 6 months. He is 79 years old and drives very little.

Why not?
You could also use a less costly oil filter which would actually filter just as well, change it every 5K with the oil, and still be dollars ahead.
Still, whatever floats your boat.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Why not?
You could also use a less costly oil filter which would actually filter just as well, change it every 5K with the oil, and still be dollars ahead.

What less costly filter filters just as well?

Originally Posted By: Dave424
I'm planning to use synth for 5k. Manual states 3750/7500 severe/normal OCI. About half of the miles are hwy in 100F heat with full A/C and heavy traffic on the way back. I drive around 40-50 miles a day. I don't want to push it for warranty purposes. I am afraid KIA may state that my conditions are severe and should not have gone with the longer OCI. Or should I go with a cheap dino 3x3333miles OCI on the filter?

And how would Kia ever know what your driving routine is? Anyone could say "I drive all highways miles"

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Why not?

What less costly filter filters just as well?

A quick use of the advanced search function revealed a 12/6/09 thread, from which I have copied the following from a couple of posts by river_rat:

PureOne 99.9% at 20 microns (multipass test)

Purolator Classic 97.5% at 20 microns (multipass test)

Ecore (Champ, STP, ValueCraft, Supertech) 94% at 20 microns (multipass test)

Toyota TRD (#PTR43-00080) 98% at 20 microns (test unpsecified)

Mobil 1 Ext...Performance 99.2% (microns unspecified, multipass test)

Bosch Premium 99.9% (nothing else specified)

K&N 99% "of harmful particles" (nothing else specified)

Rousch 99.2% (nothing else specified)

and

Fram Extra Guard 95% (microns unspecified, multipass test)

Fram Tough Guard 99% (microns unspecified, multipass test)

Fram Extended Guard 97% (microns unspecified, multipass test)

I know that this is hardly exhaustive data, but it appears that either the Fram TG, the Purolator P1 or the Bosch Premium would filter just as well as an M1 oil filter. Among these, the P1 is little more than 1/3 the cost of the M1, plus Purolator has a nice MIR available knocking $3.00 off the cost of up to four P1s.

Yes, but the PureONE on this side of the great lakes is the same price as the M1 filter
wink.gif
The K&N is more. I'm a sceptic of the TG for obvious reasons.....

So really, there isn't much for alternatives.

Yeah, but the OP is in California, so he'd pay the same P1 prices I do.
The Fram TG is a different beast from the OCD, and is an okay filter. I've used them in a couple of applications where they were part of an oil change special.
Heck, I used the OCD for years as a matter of preference before I knew any better, and had no problems at all.
Oil filter prices to the north must be as insane as motor oil prices tend to be.

Yeah, but the OP is in California, so he'd pay the same P1 prices I do.
The Fram TG is a different beast from the OCD, and is an okay filter. I've used them in a couple of applications where they were part of an oil change special.
Heck, I used the OCD for years as a matter of preference before I knew any better, and had no problems at all.
Oil filter prices to the north must be as insane as motor oil prices tend to be.

Are you sure? I thought the TG was just an OCOD in a silver canister....... That it was the Extended Guard that was the different filter, with metal-backed media and metal end caps.

I think the TG has a silicone ADBV and more media if not a different media as well. The TGs that have been used and opened up don't seem to look as rough as the Extra Guards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back