M1 0w40 vs Amsoil OE 0w40

Compare how? A listing of typical values on a PDS isn't a measure of quality comparison.

Nevertheless, here are a few previous threads on this topic (or relevant) to get you started. Many are rife with nonsensical arguments where unwarranted conclusions are being drawn from inadequate information:

Last edited:
We can't say for sure but amsoil oe is at least slightly thicker by about 1.5cst kv 100 and the hths is 4.1 whereas m1 is likely 3.7 though unspecified. But it'd be inconsequential and not worth more than twice the cost of off the shelf 40 grade euros.

Compare how? A listing of typical values on a PDS isn't a measure of quality comparison.

Nevertheless, here are a few previous threads on this topic (or relevant) to get you started. Many are rife with nonsensical arguments where unwarranted conclusions are being drawn from inadequate information:

Thanks, I figured as much but did not know of the existing threads. Thnaks again

Most of these are either about Amsoil SS, not OE, or are so old they’re completely irrelevant because both formulations have changed.

The Noack is 11.4% (higher than M1) and HT/HS is much higher @ 4.1 (is that right?)

1711979662421.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with 0w40 OE?

Amsoil OE is a GrpIII base stock oil while M1 0w40 is a GrpIV I believe. Both oils should get the Job done for your application
That’s the thing, Mobil1 seems to change their formulas around quite a bit with this particular oil…last time I checked it was around 40% PAO, which is pretty impressive to me. I want to run it in my Toyota Avalon, and I just might some day, but right now I tend to chicken out (it recommends 0W20, I use 5W30, but I’m itching to run Mobil1 FS 0W40 in all my vehicles).

That’s the thing, Mobil1 seems to change their formulas around quite a bit with this particular oil…last time I checked it was around 40% PAO, which is pretty impressive to me. I want to run it in my Toyota Avalon, and I just might some day, but right now I tend to chicken out (it recommends 0W20, I use 5W30, but I’m itching to run Mobil1 FS 0W40 in all my vehicles).
Give the 0w40 a shot let’s say for 1500 miles short interval and pay Attention to sound and mpg etc .

Back