M1 0w-40 in the SRT-8 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as they can do the job right, Overkill, I'd let them do it. If it were me, I'd probably still want to do it myself, but I'd have no problem using the Pennzoil stuff and the Mopar filter at home. If they're paying for it now, and won't screw it up, go for it.

The M1 maybe better but at the end of the day each will protect your car long after your desire to keep the beast.

I wouldn't pick an oil just by what you see on paper. Sometimes running both and just maybe M1 runs smoother or vice versa.

It all depends on how fussy you are about your car. I've not taken my mustang to anyone in 6 years since purchase. I just don't want anyone sitting their butt in my car. More chance they'll f something up or take your car on a joyride. Once The cashier slipped and let me know mechanics took my car joyriding. " the one y'all took last night". Brand new buick grand national.

I hate spending time in waiting rooms for this stuff. It might be another thing if you could continuously watch your car.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic
SAE 0W-40 engine oil or equivalent meeting the requirements
of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633.

I read the recomends portion as being attributed towards a full synthetic 0w40 or equivalent. But must meet the REQUIRED Chrysler spec.

Mobil already said they do not...

Originally Posted By: Mobil
Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 0W-40 viscosity and oil that meets Chrysler MS-12633. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1-210.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
It all depends on how fussy you are about your car. I've not taken my mustang to anyone in 6 years since purchase. I just don't want anyone sitting their butt in my car. More chance they'll f something up or take your car on a joyride. Once The cashier slipped and let me know mechanics took my car joyriding. " the one y'all took last night". Brand new buick grand national.

I hate spending time in waiting rooms for this stuff. It might be another thing if you could continuously watch your car.

And the thought of some oil changer spilling oil on the engine prompts me to keep changing my own oil. Use M1 0-40, and change it yourself. It's called "peace of mind".

PP Ultra 0W-40 has quite a bit more moly than the M1 0W-40. I think Chrysler spec'd this for a reason with the later SRT engines making PP Ultra a better choice than M1.

I am in the same boat with quite a big stash of oil that is not to spec when I bought my RAM with the 6.4 Hemi that spec's the same oil. I rather not play around playing engineer here to just get bitten if a warranty issue arises as a simple oil analysis will tell them what oil you were or were not running.

Originally Posted By: tig1

And the thought of some oil changer spilling oil on the engine prompts me to keep changing my own oil. Use M1 0-40, and change it yourself. It's called "peace of mind".

Keeping the warranty intact [on a vehicle that will surely see some high performance driving] would give me "peace of mind".

My vote goes to Pennzoil on this one.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
PP Ultra 0W-40 has quite a bit more moly than the M1 0W-40. I think Chrysler spec'd this for a reason with the later SRT engines making PP Ultra a better choice than M1.

I am in the same boat with quite a big stash of oil that is not to spec when I bought my RAM with the 6.4 Hemi that spec's the same oil. I rather not play around playing engineer here to just get bitten if a warranty issue arises as a simple oil analysis will tell them what oil you were or were not running.

You can't determine anything from the higher dose of moly. It's not that simple.

Originally Posted By: buster

You can't determine anything from the higher dose of moly. It's not that simple.

So then, short of moly, what is Mobil 1 0w-40 doing that makes it a better pick than Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 to forgo Chryslers recommendation for it?

All I am hearing is a lot of brand loyalty to Mobil 1 in this thread and not any substantive to make the case for it in this application.

We have no evidence M1 is better than Ultra in this case, but if they are similar...then M1 is better because of price and availability.

I'm not saying it's better. I will say it's one of the best overall synthetic oils you can buy on the market. It has more approvals than any other oil I can think of and has been thoroughly tested in some of the most high performance engines in the world. In a qt of Mobil 1, there are about 18-20 components.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm not saying it's better. I will say it's one of the best overall synthetic oils you can buy on the market. It has more approvals than any other oil I can think of and has been thoroughly tested in some of the most high performance engines in the world. In a qt of Mobil 1, there are about 18-20 components.

Times a dozen. May be the most widely accepted oil on the planet. And it's right on my cap in the 6.1. I absolutely recommend it after over 100k miles on my engine and it is flawlessly clean and pristine after countless floggings.

Note the short OCI intervals. This is due to fuel dilution, and it's guaranteed in the SRT engines due to high performance tuning.

Overkill is over thinking this one. During warranty you should strongly consider using the recommended oil just to shut the door on any [censored] from the stealership.

I for one agree with the Turtle, no one changes my oil unless I can't do it myself. I just see too much carelessness at stealerships....

I wonder if they'll give me the oil for free? That might be an option.... I will ask. That way I can use the filter I want and still change it myself.

I wonder if they'll give me the oil for free? That might be an option.... I will ask. That way I can use the filter I want and still change it myself.

Or sell it and use the M1!

But can you trust yourself, overkill, to put in Pennz 0w-40 & an Ultra filter, and not sneak in SuperTech dino 5w-30 and a Purolator Classic oil filter instead when nobody is looking?

Is the manufacturer allowed to specify a particular brand of oil to be used? Here we have rules. They can only specify a standard that the oil must meet. Otherwise they should supply the oil.

Originally Posted By: LubeLuke
Is the manufacturer allowed to specify a particular brand of oil to be used? Here we have rules. They can only specify a standard that the oil must meet. Otherwise they should supply the oil.

No, the mfg can not specify a particular oil brand to maintain warranty unless it is provided free. As with your country they can require the oil meet certain standards/specifications however. They can specify what weight you need to use and how often the oil must be changed as well.

The issue in the OP's case is the M1 0W40 he wants to use does not meet the Chrysler oil spec( according to M1 themselves ). Thus using the M1, even if it is a fine oil, puts his warranty at risk. To me this is a no brainer( i.e. don't use the M1 ). I am surprised at the number of people saying use the M1 when it does not meet the requirements he needs it to.

Last edited:
You bought the wrong car. You should have bought something that has m1 on the oil cap.

It used to, LOL!!!
grin.gif
Those relationships change. My bimmer said Castrol on the oil cap but now they use SOPUS products too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back