M1 0w-40 in the SRT-8 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sort of surprising that someone with almost 30,000 posts and 7 years, 3 months and 19 days of experience on BITOG even has to ask.

Use the 0w-40 in your non-SRT vehicles. That oil miracle works in about everything that calls for "30" at least. Use dealership oil (if they don't play a trick on you and just put dino 5w-30 bulk oil in there). Mopar filter???? Really? That piece of junk in a nice SRT? Fram Ultra needed.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I don't think there will be any measurable difference between the SRT 0w40 and the Mobil 1 0W40... I'd get the free changes...

Me too

But not provide the Fram Ultra?

Although Fram Ultra is arguably the finest filter sold, i don't know enough about the MOPAR filter to recommend against it.

The irony of this is the dealer will probably not use the more expensive oil that the SRT's take for your "free" oil changes. But since it's the dealer they can't deny you warranty for engine oiling problems if they provided the oil and filter. Ask them what they use for that engine. You can always use the M1 0W-40 in your 2006 Charger and also your Expy. Looks like a fun car
grin.gif
!

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
The irony of this is the dealer will probably not use the more expensive oil that the SRT's take for your "free" oil changes. But since it's the dealer they can't deny you warranty for engine oiling problems if they provided the oil and filter. Ask them what they use for that engine. You can always use the M1 0W-40 in your 2006 Charger and also your Expy. Looks like a fun car
grin.gif
! Whimsey

What we need is the glow-in-flourescent-light dye in Pennz Ultra like they have in Castrol Edge Professional oil, making sure the customer "really" got the good stuff. Otherwise, the oil change mechanic could just dump in SN-GF-5 bulk oil (and maybe take the Ultra home???). OK, I'm paranoid... or careful-smart, not sure which.....
confused.gif

I agree with Pop Rivit. You already know your answer, so why are you asking the question? Seems like you're just stirring the pot, which is normally not something you do. Did you fall and hit your head?

grin.gif
!

Whimsey

Actually, they SRT 0w-40 oil is not carried in bulk. They get it in cases from Chrysler and I've watched the mechanics pour it out of the 1L bottles into the cars that require it. They are actually very good at adhering to the manufacturer's requirements which was why when they changed the oil on my bimmer when I bought it, they actually ordered the BMW oil from BMW, LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's sort of surprising that someone with almost 30,000 posts and 7 years, 3 months and 19 days of experience on BITOG even has to ask.

My hang-up is that this oil used to be the oil for this car. Also, I try not to be wasteful and I have a bit of this oil on-hand.

Also, the manual states:

Originally Posted By: Chrysler

NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months,
whichever occurs first.
Engine Oil Selection
For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only
recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the
American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SN.
The manufacturer recommends the use of a full synthetic
SAE 0W-40 engine oil or equivalent meeting the requirements
of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12633.

Note it says recommends, not REQUIRES.

But then goes on to say:

Originally Posted By: Chrysler

Engine Oil Viscosity
Use Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 engine or equivalent
MOPAR® oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard
MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to “Engine Compartment”
in “Maintaining Your Vehicle” for further information.

Which is somewhat contradictory. If it just said "requires" like the BMW did, this thread would not exist.

Originally Posted By: Red91
I agree with Pop Rivit. You already know your answer, so why are you asking the question? Seems like you're just stirring the pot, which is normally not something you do. Did you fall and hit your head?

Looks more like you and Pop are stirring the pot. Pop's grumpiness is understood, but why continue it further? OP thinks M1 is superior. Maybe it is or isnt. He gets free lifetime oil changes. There is a decent consideration here, 30k posts or not.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
grin.gif
! Whimsey

What we need is the glow-in-flourescent-light dye in Pennz Ultra like they have in Castrol Edge Professional oil, making sure the customer "really" got the good stuff. Otherwise, the oil change mechanic could just dump in SN-GF-5 bulk oil (and maybe take the Ultra home???). OK, I'm paranoid... or careful-smart, not sure which.....
confused.gif

I'd say careful smart.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My hang-up is that this oil used to be the oil for this car. Also, I try not to be wasteful and I have a bit of this oil on-hand.

I would take the free changes and use the M1 0w40 in the other Charger.

The SRT 0w40 was designed specifically for your car and is recommended by your vehicles engineers. In the absence of information to the contrary, you should actually conclude that it is the better oil for your vehicle. You can even take the money you save and get UOAs to see how it performs.

But the problem is you love M1 0w40. For you it is the perfect oil and there is nothing you would like better then lovingly pouring the perfect oil into your perfect car. It would be better than placing a cherry on top of a cake.

Now if that is what you are compelled to do, then I really doubt the warranty could be voided for using M1 0w40. But if I was super concerned about that, I would ask the dealer and manufacturer.

The other thing to consider here is that you have an opportunity to do some real life testing on whether M1 0w40 is the best oil. Run the SRT 0w40 until your warranty is up, getting UOAs with particle counts. Then run the M1 0w40 and get the same a few times. Buy a bunch of your favorite synthetic oil filters from the same batch now and use them each and every time to remove variability. Do that and with some luck, this thread will still be going in 6 years time.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I'm also in IT...

What happened to the M5?

See thread in the vehicle section
smile.gif

Yes, I think there are a lot of us on here.

Originally Posted By: Benito

I would take the free changes and use the M1 0w40 in the other Charger.

The other Charger calls for xW-20, it gets AFE 0w-20.

The SRT 0w40 was designed specifically for your car and is recommended by your vehicles engineers. In the absence of information to the contrary, you should actually conclude that it is the better oil for your vehicle. You can even take the money you save and get UOAs to see how it performs.

But the problem is you love M1 0w40. For you it is the perfect oil and there is nothing you would like better then lovingly pouring the perfect oil into your perfect car. It would be better than placing a cherry on top of a cake.

The SRT oil was designed (quickly) as a replacement for the original factory fill and spec oil, M1 0w-40, which the SRT vehicles used for years and years until the relationship with Mobil was soured by the bankruptcy. At this time, it only carries the MOPAR approval, not any of the Euro certs. On top of that, it has a higher NOACK volatility.

If M1 0w-40 had never been the factory lube (and approved) for this application, I would agree with you completely, however that's not the case.

Now if that is what you are compelled to do, then I really doubt the warranty could be voided for using M1 0w40. But if I was super concerned about that, I would ask the dealer and manufacturer.

And I intend on doing that. The dealer used to stock only Mobil products and continued to use them for quite a time after the relationship changed south of the border (as I think was the case with most of the dealers in Canada) until the "old stock" was used up.

I am also going to write an e-mail to Chrysler and see what they say.

The other thing to consider here is that you have an opportunity to do some real life testing on whether M1 0w40 is the best oil. Run the SRT 0w40 until your warranty is up, getting UOAs with particle counts. Then run the M1 0w40 and get the same a few times. Buy a bunch of your favorite synthetic oil filters from the same batch now and use them each and every time to remove variability. Do that and with some luck, this thread will still be going in 6 years time.

I don't feel this is really going to tell us much without tear-downs unfortunately. Though I do plan on running the FRAM Ultra filters on it.

You are worried about oil filters from different batches being a variable yet one oil will be used in a brand new engine, the other will be in a used engine. If the first oil was no good it could of already done harm that might only show itself after some time, likely when the second oil is used...
Bearing wear is not usually linear with wear. The same is true for most seals and piston rings. The wear usually increases at an increasingly exponential rate.

Now if that is what you are compelled to do, then I really doubt the warranty could be voided for using M1 0w40.

The OP( I think it was him - someone did anyway )posted info from Mobil clearly stating that their 0W40 does not meet the required Chrysler oil spec the OP must have for his application. It is not even a case of not being officially certified but claiming to meet the requirement. They flat out said they do not offer an oil that meets his needs.

If a problem did happen internally in his engine and it was discovered he was using a non compliant oil it most definitely would lead to warranty issues. The OP would not get any help from Mobil fighting it either as they have already told him their oil doesn't qualify.

To me this is a black and white case. The oil does not meet the OP's required oil spec from Chrysler according to the oil mfg themselves. This oil should not be used until the vehicle is out of warranty unless the OP is willing to foot the bill for repairs( internal lubrication related ).

I ran into a similar situation myself with a new vehicle. I wanted to use RP but they didn't offer an oil that met all my warranty needs so I had to use another brand. I am all for using your preferred brands and such but when it is clear they don't have what you need you go elsewhere even if you are leaving a good product. New cars are just too expensive to repair these days to risk warranty over oil brands. Especially when the free oil he gets at the dealer from Pennzoil meets all his needs and is an excellent product as well.

I am surprised this thread was even started. A no brainer to me. I think OVERKILL is OVER THINKING this one.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Mobil in Germany and the UK are saying the "manufacturer's recommendation" is to use M1 0w40 for the SRT.

(Strangely, for the 2006 on Grand Cherokee SRT-8 6.1 V8 (WH) they say xw30 is recommended)

Shell say Helix Ultra 5w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back