M1 0W-20, 10000 miles, 2004 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
For this latest run with 10k miles on the engine, I filled it with Mobil 0W-20. I ran it for 2k miles, then decided to install a bypass and continue running the oil for an addition 8k miles (10k mi total on oil).

Observations - I was happy to see viscosity stayed in grade at 56.4 versus my previous 5k mile UOA with Exxon 5W20 which thinned to 50.7, though the wear metals wear very good. However, I expected a beter Flash Point from M1 than 385F (Exxon's dino 5W20 was 405F). Iron at 9 ppm seems to be in line with the increase in miles on the sample, but I would have hoped for a level closer to the last UOA (5 ppm) with the installation of the bypass filter. Finally, insolubles at 0.4% is still safe but I thought with the two filters working it would have been less. I would assume a TP bypass filter would have performed better.

Next Steps - I refilled with M1 0W-20 again, changed the filters and will run the next sample to 15k miles, changing the FF filter at 7,500 and top off as needed.
 -

Very nice indeed! Too bad Mobil 1 will no longer make this oil!
frown.gif
You should snap up a bunch of it before it disappears forever.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Very nice indeed! Too bad Mobil 1 will no longer make this oil!
frown.gif
You should snap up a bunch of it before it disappears forever.

Thank you. And thanks to fellow BITOGers, I snatched 6 cases of 0W20 using Pep Boy's B3G3 calendar coupons. For the heck of it, I may run the new Mobil 5W-20, though I doubt much will change.

It seems that Mobil 1's flashpoint drops fairly rapidly in their 5W-30 oil from various UOA's posted here. Now it seems that their 0W-20 oil is doing the same. It would be interesting to see if other Mobil 1 grades, especially the SuperSyns, lose their flashpoint also. Yet the fuel dilution is "low" and wear metals are ok
dunno.gif

Whimsey

Awesome. I hope my Accord shows numbers like this. Razl, can you tell me how you broke in this engine? I believe you said that the first 5k miles you experienced a bit of oil consumption then it stopped? This is a fantastic report. Terry always said he liked the Honda 4cyler's. Now I know why.
cheers.gif

*I don't think much will change from the 0w-20 to the 5w-20 personally.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
This is a fantastic report. Terry always said he liked the Honda 4cyler's. Now I know why.
cheers.gif

Yep. This is why I always make a distinction between Honda I4 and V6s. Their I4s seem to built better or at least look better in UOAs.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Awesome. I hope my Accord shows numbers like this. Razl, can you tell me how you broke in this engine? I believe you said that the first 5k miles you experienced a bit of oil consumption then it stopped? This is a fantastic report. Terry always said he liked the Honda 4cyler's. Now I know why.
cheers.gif

*I don't think much will change from the 0w-20 to the 5w-20 personally.

The same crew that shared the PB coupon deals with me was the same crew that made me lose sleep for not changing the infamous Honda "break-in" oil before the first 5,000 mi
spaz.gif
My gut told me to leave it in as Honda stated quite clearly in the manual. As you can see nothing "blew-up" leaving the factory fill in for the full duration. Then again, nothing would have "blown-up" if I changed it at 1,000 miles either.

My oil consumption stopped around the first 4k-5k miles. The only oil I had to add was after installing the BP to makeup for the increased system capacity. If you minus that factor, no make oil was required.

Way cool! As a 2004 Honda Civic VP owner I watch your posting with great interest. I am at 6000 miles with the OEM fill (Honda 5w20 made to Honda specs by EM, Their product being 5w20 Superflo) At the 10,000 mile interval I will go to 0w20 Mobil One! Like you, I only got a limited supply (80,000 miles worth)
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Yep. This is why I always make a distinction between Honda I4 and V6s. Their I4s seem to built better or at least look better in UOAs.

I imagine that Honda/Acura sixes show higher wear metals at least in part because they have the same sump capacity as the fours.

My family's 3 Accords are like this: My bro's '85 1.8L I-4 with a 4.5 qt capacity, my '95 2.2L I-4 with a 4.5 qt capacity, and my dad's 04 3.0 V-6 with a 4.5 qt capacity.

My dad's engine is bigger, so it should produce a little more wear metal than mine or my brother's, even if the engine wear is the same, right? More metals going into the same amount of oil would naturally make the UOA look a little worse, even if actual engine wear is the same.

Does anyone here own an Acura with the 3.2L or 3.5L? How much oil does it hold?

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
I am at 6000 miles with the OEM fill (Honda 5w20 made to Honda specs by EM, Their product being 5w20 Superflo)

The UOAs clearly show the OEM factory fill is not the same as 5w20 SuperFlo. Why do some people keep repeating this myth?

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

I am at 6000 miles with the OEM fill (Honda 5w20 made to Honda specs by EM, Their product being 5w20 Superflo)

The UOAs clearly show the OEM factory fill is not the same as 5w20 SuperFlo. Why do some people keep repeating this myth?

How much is the oil and how much is assembly lube and other elements?

How do the VOA's Honda OEM 5w20 and EM 5w20 Superflo specifically differ?

I am sure there are probably difference between batches.

Assembly lube is just that, it is used in small quantities to aid in assembly. Commercially available assembly lube is made with high quality mineral oil of undetermined viscosity.

quote:

How do the VOA's Honda OEM 5w20 and EM 5w20 Superflo specifically differ?

Well, last time I looked at them they definitely had different levels of additives on average. And most people here are aware their are a lot of things we don't see in a UOA.

But let me try from a different angle. In the Honda manual it states "there is special break in oil in the engine from the factory and not to change it out early". Why don't they say, "there is special break in oil in the engine from the factory, but if you need to change it for whatever reason, use the Honda 5w20 oil available at the dealer"? On everything else Honda likes to specify their special lubricants, transmission, PS, etc, why don't they specify the Honda 5w20 oil if you have to change your oil early?

quote:

This is why I always make a distinction between Honda I4 and V6s. Their I4s seem to built better or at least look better in UOAs.

quote:

I imagine that Honda/Acura sixes show higher wear metals at least in part because they have the same sump capacity as the fours.

Very interesting! I wonder if you guys are on to something here. My new 05 Pilot with the 3.5L V6 has...you guessed it, a 4.5 qt. sump capacity!
shocked.gif

And the uoa on that engine that I've been able to find show much higher iron and copper wear on average (regardless of brand or viscosity) than what is reported in this particular post.

Notice that Fe is low on this report as with all the Subarus/Toyotas. It's something in Mobil 1 that sometimes reacts differently with certain engines, much like RL. However, it's far from it ever being a significant issue IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
Does anyone here own an Acura with the 3.2L or 3.5L? How much oil does it hold?

Late answer, but I'm new here.
smile.gif

My 2004 Acura 3.2 TL has a 4.5 qt oil capacity with filter change.

FWIW, I agree that there are more pistons, rings, bearings, cam lobes, valves contributing to the wear metals in the same oil capacity. 50% more to be exact. I would expect the wear metals to be about 50% higher in a 6 cyl than a 4 cyl- all other things being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back