Luvin' the tcw3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Yes HNY to everyone... To help with the convesions of 100:1 to 400:1 here is a very helpfull calculator... Some might already have it, but I'm sure some don't. It's makes life a bit simpler.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

I made up a chart on my word processor that is divided into simple miles per gallon and TCW-3 ratio for my specific trucks mileage. I printed it out and laminated it so I have a durable and convenient card to look at when I fill up my tank.

394336369.jpg

I just mixed a batch of 50/50. I have the solution in a graduated squirt bottle so I can do it right. I will put 4 ozs in when I fill up which is usually at 10 gallons. (I have a 15 gallon tank but like to keep the in-tank pump submerged). This way, I get the 2 ozs of TC-W3 and 2 ozs of MMO. CourierDriver's point about the redundancy of using MMO with TC-W3 was well taken, so I thought I'd cut down the MMO by half and see how it goes from there, balancing Spyder7's observations and my own thus far.

I may cut back the MMO to see if the theory is correct. I am so thoroughly impressed by the way the engine is running, I will know immediately if I need to up the MMO back 2 ozs. My sense is that I won't and this ratio will be perfect.

Happy New Year to you all.

I've always used good old MMO in my vehicles during all these many years.
After reading the topics on TC-W3 in this forum, I dropped by Wal+Mart this morning a picked up the small bottle.
Filled up the twenty gallon tank in the '06 Altima the way home and added two ounces of the TC-W3.
Probably still had remnants of MMO in the tank.
So, we'll see what happens.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with CD on the redundancy of using both TC-W3 and MMO. Although in fuel they are both good UCLs, I believe MMO has an edge over TC-W3 when it comes to keeping the fuel system clean; while TC-W3 is the better lubricant. Both are inexpensive, particularly TC-W3, and are easy, safe, and inexpensive to combine. Some experimentation may be required to find the right ratios of the combination, but this is especially easy to do if you can see instantaneous and trip mileage readouts (I use my Scanguage II for that, among other things).

As I use 3 oz of MMO per 10 gallons of gas, a one quart bottle doses over 100 gallons of fuel for me; TC-W3, at one ounce per 10 gallons, means a quarts of that doses 320 gallons of gas. Comparing the cost of the additives to the price of gasoline, the additive cost is negligible.

In fairness to CD, if I put the miles on my car he puts on his van, I too might preference the more inexpensive single additive; but I drive about 20,000 miles a year so a quart of MMO and TC-W3 lasts me a pretty long time.

-Spyder

I'm curious if anyone has had experiences with TC-W3 in a diesel? I have read in a few places via the net of owners adding 1oz per gallon of diesel, then claiming a 1mpg increase and quieter idle and a more smooth running motor in general... I know diesel has lost alot of its lubrication properties over the last 2yrs... I have been using the TC-W3 over the last yr, at a 200:1 ratio mix. Which is 16oz in my 25gal tank...Once a month I will pour in 12oz of MMO, just to help keep my fuel system clean.

I was curious if any other diesel owners within this board, used the TC-W3, and what their personal experiences were?

I'm not looking for any MPG increase or Hp increase, my 7.3L has plenty of grunt and gets decent fuel mileage for being a tank. I'm just looking to prolong the life of my fuel pump and my very expensive injectors. I know clean fuel and clean oil plays a major role in that as well.

Also... Do diesel motors actually need a fuel system cleaner? Since diesel itself is a really good cleaning agent.

I would like your thoughts.

Went looking around at the 2 Cycle and other "TCW-3 Oils" at walmart, both in the oil aisle, and the garden departmnet.....one thing I noticed, a number (Note: the majority....) of the Garden Departmetn "2 Cycle Oils" (Note: some mentioned TCW-3 rating, some did not.....the ones that did NOT, stated on the front and/or back that they were indeed "ashless" if that makes a difference) of the oils all mentioned being a gasoline stabilizer......

Is this typical of ALL TCW-3/2 Cycle oil? Acting on it's own as a gasoline stabilizer? Or have these TCW-3/2 Cycle oils in the garden department been "engineered" differently from those in the automotive department, and given the extra "Gas Stabilizer" chemistry?

I mean, the latter would "make sense" to me, since it's typical of lawn and garden accessories to keep gas through many days/months, or even years......?

Or is it typical of ALL 2 Cycle/TCW-3 oils to "naturally" act as a gasoline stabilizer when added to the fuel?

Here are a couple of the products I was referring to:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Universal-2-Cycle-Engine-Oil-8-fl-oz/16913734
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Briggs-Stratton-2-Cycle-Oil-8-oz/16828919
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poulan-Weed-Eater-2-Cycle-Oil/16564815
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poulan-Weed-Eater-2-Cycle-Oil/16564809

Note: I did not even DELVE into the Sporting Goods department...lol. Totally forgot they got their own line of Marine Oils, 2 Cycle, and TCW-3 oils over there too :p Primarily QuickSilver and Pennzoil.

BTW, the 3.25 oz. Poulan bottle seems like just the perfect dosing size to re-use as a MMO and/or TCW-3 dosing
wink.gif
Think I just may have to pick one up. Sure beats the sharpie marks down the side of my Lucas UCL bottle
wink.gif
And with the TCW-3, it doesn't require as much oil (typically I use 2 oz. every fill up, since my typical fill up is 10 gallons, comes out to 1 oz. per 5 gallons, maybe a little under 1 oz. per 5 gallons though, but I'm in the mindset that "more is not better"....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back