Lucas low viscosity multi vehicle ATF

I know Lucas claims this fluid can work in a whole lot of different vehicles. It claims for example it can be used in Chryslers taking ATF +4. Are the properties of the fluid really that similar that it can work in that many different applications? Would you trust this fluid in anything from a GM to a Nissan to a Chrysler vehicle? What's your opinion? I know many companies make a multi vehicle fluid but I'm curious as to how honest that marketing really is.

Some specs are close enough to where they can all diverge and looking through the 1 page compatibility list it's not being crazy.

"Recommended by Lucas Oil for any automatic transmission application where the vehicle owner’s manual specifies a low viscosity fluid, either foreign or domestic, such as: Dexron VI, Mercon LV (& SP), Honda DW-1, Nissan Matic S (and W), Mitsubishi Dia Queen ATF J-3 and ATF-PA and many more*. Drive with confidence knowing that Lucas Low-Viscosity Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for use in your car or truck."

The voracity of Marketing claims is built mainly on trust. Do you really trust Lucas?

"Recommended by Lucas Oil for any automatic transmission application where the vehicle owner’s manual specifies a low viscosity fluid, either foreign or domestic, such as: Dexron VI, Mercon LV (& SP), Honda DW-1, Nissan Matic S (and W), Mitsubishi Dia Queen ATF J-3 and ATF-PA and many more*. Drive with confidence knowing that Lucas Low-Viscosity Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for use in your car or truck."

The voracity of Marketing claims is built mainly on trust. Do you really trust Lucas?
I know many don't trust them but I don't really have a personal reason not to trust them. They're an American company....if that means anything. I don't really care about my feelings either if that makes sense I care more about the facts is the fluid actually suitable or is it really not ideal. I don't know how I'd know that unless I knew the ingredients and knew they were similar I guess. 🤷

You should only run officially licensed or equivalent fluids. Dexron VI, ATF+4, etc are all widely available.

The only time I will run a multi-vehicle transmission fluid is if there is literally no other option available.

FWIW I have been using Lucas LV in my Honda for the past year+ and it works fine for that application. I can't tell a difference between it and the maxlife, Pennzoil LV, and Amalie I used for the last 6+ years.

So this got me thinking if a company pays for the licensing to have a specification what's the difference between that and a company just saying their product meets the spec without actually having the licensing?

So this got me thinking if a company pays for the licensing to have a specification what's the difference between that and a company just saying their product meets the spec without actually having the licensing?
Because to get licensed the product actually has to meet the spec, this is why Maxlife for example is not officially licensed for Dexron VI.

If you buy officially licensed there is no guessing game on if it will or will not work.

Because to get licensed the product actually has to meet the spec, this is why Maxlife for example is not officially licensed for Dexron VI.

If you buy officially licensed there is no guessing game on if it will or will not work.
So basically just saying you meet the spec doesn't mean you actually do and may not be actually suitable for that application.....that's frustrating.

I also assume some companies are more trustworthy than others? I guess Lucas is probably not the most trustworthy either. 😂
I actually love Lucas products and trust them for many products.

In the past I have used their stop slip/transmission fix with success as well as their oil stabilizer despite others hating on it. Every once in a while I will dump their fuel treatment in my vehicles, their gun oil is good, their grease is good.

Obviously their motor oil is good considering they are Dexos and API approved.

But I will say this, I have seen in cases with multi-vehicle ATF's that claim to meet X fluid actually cause shifting issues and switching back to a approved fluid solved it, and I am specifically referring to some Toyota WS transmissions.

Now on some of these older GM and Toyota transmissions like 4L60E's. A541E they aren't really picky transmissions and you can often get away just fine with a multi-vehicle fluid that "meets" it even though I don't recommend it when an approved option is available.

'Though not conforming to the minimum viscosity range of many specifications for standard viscosity automatic transmission fluids (ATF),Lucas Low-Viscosity Multi-Vehicle ATF is suitable for use (SFU) in these applications, with transmission operability, performance and durability unaffected. Not recommended for these applications in the state of California'

source: https://www.lucasoil.com/pdf/Synth_Low_Viscosity_Multi-Vehicle_ATF_Application_Chart.pdf

Read into this what you will!

Back