Lubro Moly mos2 or LubeGard Engine Protectant???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so moly in any form will not clean up an engine in any way at all, but it can reduce wear...where am I not following it's own claims and the comments people are making about their car running better with it after several hundred miles? Is it cleaning, plating, or something else?

Is there a consensus on the LubroMoly mos2, what DOES it do in the end?

I am undecided on using it regularly, but I may throw it in one of my cars for kicks a few hundred miles before an oil change. It can't HURT my car, can it???

As for the LubeGard EP w/ BioTech, I'm definitely going to try it out. I'm running 2 separate intervals with Amsoil SSO, the first I'm on without any additives, but I will try adding LG and may run oil analysis of each after.

If I were running $10.50 a quart premium synthetic Motor oil, I would not be seeking to add anything to it in the hopes of some magical perceived benefit.

No doubt LM and LG say they can be added to any motor oil, but Amsoil says to add nothing.

If I were to buy Lubromoly or Lubegard, I'd want them in for the full OCI, not for the last 500 miles. Considering the price of LG, I'd want a 20k plus OCI, and another verifyable 1 mpg.

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
If I were running $10.50 a quart premium synthetic Motor oil, I would not be seeking to add anything to it in the hopes of some magical perceived benefit.

No doubt LM and LG say they can be added to any motor oil, but Amsoil says to add nothing.

If I were to buy Lubromoly or Lubegard, I'd want them in for the full OCI, not for the last 500 miles. Considering the price of LG, I'd want a 20k plus OCI, and another verifyable 1 mpg.

Thanks for the thoughts. I know, my gut is telling me the same thing, but I'd still do it for research purposes. Other's do seem to note MPG gains. The LG I would definitely use the entire OCI. The LM is something that is much cheaper and I only need half of the 300ml can in the VX.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Moly is not magic. It is used in many fine motor oils.
Do oil companies fire their chemists because they practice magic?

Oh, I definitely believe Moly is legit...and I know it's overkill for my application, but I wanted to know what it really does in general as the additive package of mos2 from LubroMoly.

First thing it is going to do is turn your pretty amber colored oil a funky color. If you want to try it with the SSO, go ahead. I don't think it will do any harm. But, I would not mix it with the Lubegard engine additive. Pretty soon you're a backyard chemistry major. The SSO is fully formulated, then you put MoS2 in there and that changes the formulation of the SSO, then you introduce a completely different additive in to it with the Lubegard product and wham-o, no one knows what you have in the engine now.

Big difference between the Lubegard and Lubro Moly, is the type of moly that's in it. The Lubegard has soluble/liquid moly in it as do most/but not all motor oils. The Lubro Moly is a powered moly that is mixed with a carrier oil (I believe it is a 10W-30).

What ever you do, follow the manufactures directions to the letter. Don't figure you know more than they do. Example, if you get the Lubro Moly MoS2 product, dump the whole can in there like they tell you to do.

I need to stop now and come up for air.

Well, Johnny I appreciate your frank response(and no you aren't Frank), but I'll be careful about becoming some backyard chemist. I know I'm not and I will take your advice about not adding both products.

The only reason I mention adding about half the can is, to my knowledge, the recommendation to be 50ml per L of oil in the crankcase regarding the MoS2. Perhaps that is just the initial dosage you are referring to?

Besides the LM product, what off the specs on the Lubegard? It claims it uses esters. Is this the same type as a product like Royal Purple uses in it's additive package?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
How long have you been using the Amsoil SSO 0W-30 in your two cars?

Why Wausau, WI. My daughter is there and sort of the opinion that it is too cold, with not much to do and is an unattractive city, especially when compared to Lexington, KY
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Perhaps that is just the initial dosage you are referring to?

Besides the LM product, what off the specs on the Lubegard? It claims it uses esters. Is this the same type as a product like Royal Purple uses in it's additive package?

Yes, initial dose.

I doubt what Lubegard uses is anything like what Royal Purple uses. I was unaware RP used any kind of ester base.

If you want to try either the Lubegard product or the Lubro Moly product that's fine. I just don't recommend you use them at the same time, and for the initial application add the whole can or bottle.

Originally Posted By: Russell

Why Wausau, WI. My daughter is there and sort of the opinion that it is too cold, with not much to do and is an unattractive city, especially when compared to Lexington, KY
wink.gif

We're way off topic here, but I will answer.

She is correct, it is way to cold for my taste. But as for as nothing to do or being unattractive, she must stay inside all the time. I've never been to Lexington so I cannot compare the two. But, I suggest your daughter get out more often and check these two sites. I will say this; spring, summer, fall, or winter, this is one of the prettiest places I've ever been.

Wausau Chamber of Commerce

Central WI Vistors Bureau

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell

wink.gif

We're way off topic here, but I will answer.

She is correct, it is way to cold for my taste. But as for as nothing to do or being unattractive, she must stay inside all the time. I've never been to Lexington so I cannot compare the two. But, I suggest your daughter get out more often and check these two sites. I will say this; spring, summer, fall, or winter, this is one of the prettiest places I've ever been.

Wausau Chamber of Commerce

Central WI Vistors Bureau

Wi rules baby. I live in Oconomowoc and you are right about how beautiful Wi can be. I just hate the cold weather. LOL.

Go Pack Go... I saw the Lombardi trophy in person last night... WOW.

Last edited:
Yes, initial dose.

I doubt what Lubegard uses is anything like what Royal Purple uses. I was unaware RP used any kind of ester base.

If you want to try either the Lubegard product or the Lubro Moly product that's fine. I just don't recommend you use them at the same time, and for the initial application add the whole can or bottle.

I may have my information wrong, but I was under the impression that RP was a group V oil base stock with ester. This was according to an Amsoil dealer, I believe, and several others I've seen quoted online, but then again it is the internet.

Thanks for all of the tips for what I should do if I use either product. I'm going to sample my first runs using Amsoil SSO first, and then may try either product on my next fill.

Just an update, I found a local Napa that carries everything from LubroMoly, even their oils in gallon jugs.

I purchased the MoS2 and will at it to the Stratus to see if oil consumption is reduced. Will update on this.

I am waiting until my next oil change on the VX(in about 1-2 months) to add the LubeGard product.

Thanks for the experiment, limjim, however unscientific ie. objective, it may be. I have two cans of lubro moly waiting to go into the Accord and Miata (although I may hold off on the Miata) that I picked up today at Advance. BTW they price matched Napa at $4.29 + tax and didn't ask for a print out for confirmation. But that may differ from store to store.

The reason for use in the Accord is that I may (or may not be) suffering from piston slap, however slight, at cold temperature start-up, lasting 8 minutes or more depending on how cold it is outside. I've used pp in the car for the last 40,000 miles at 5k oci, and I don't believe it has a ton of Moly in it. As many know, the Honda ff has loads of Moly in it, so I'm wondering if adding additional Moly will help quiet down the "clacking" I get below 40 degrees f. As far as I can tell the pp is doing its job; the valve train is spotless.

My understanding of Moly via the "Moly Basics" on the Main Menu here at Bitog (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index....3&Itemid=72) is that it does, in fact, have a plating effect on metal, thus reducing friction. This is thankfully backed up with empirical proof using electron microscopy. Plating occurs only to a certain depth, however, and any additional Moly is held harmlessly in suspension.

To my knowledge no harm can be done by adding the Lubro Moly, except to the wallet, should it prove to be a bust. As a general rule I add nothing to oil.

Congrats to you for getting the Civic past 200k. I hope to do so in the Accord.

Shout out to Johnny, ubiquitous here on Bitog, you are the man! Hope you are enjoying retirement. My Dad just retired at 72 from Medicine, and I hope to be spending more time with him.

I believe you do not need the entire can for one car. The dosage is 50ml per quart of engine oil. The can is 300ml i.e. good for 6 quarts of engine oil. You should be able to do both the cars with single can. Check the label to verify.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I believe you do not need the entire can for one car. The dosage is 50ml per quart of engine oil. The can is 300ml i.e. good for 6 quarts of engine oil. You should be able to do both the cars with single can. Check the label to verify.

- Vikas

You are correct, Vikas, except that it is 50ml per liter, not quart. Not sure it really matters. For the 4.4 quart sump in the accord that means roughly 2/3 of the can, or 200ml, since 4.4 quarts is equal to 4.16 liters.

Initially, I would go strong in the application. One full can per car.
Then you can try reduced amounts in subsequent oil changes.

stay with the lubegard(organic moly) and away from lubro moly(inorganic moly),as johnny says,powder is held in suspension if the chem change for an unknown reason,then out comes the powder moly and clog your engine and filter.i just would not take that chance..there is a uoa on here that shows lubegard dec wear greatly after an oil change interval of 15,000 miles iron was only 9 ppm that is awesome!! imho

Last edited:
There is a UOA floating around of 4 seperate oil changes on a VW Jetta TDI where the user added a bottle of LubroMoly, then did not, then did again, then left it out.

His wear numbers were lower on the 10,000 mile runs where he added a bottle of Lubro Moly.

It was at least a year ago... I will try to find it.
It would be interesting to see the same experiment with the Lubgard product. I am sure it is great, as I use their Red bottle of Transmission additive in about everything I own. (The Xterra does not have it as I just did a Drain and Fill with Maxlife and am debating whether It needs it.)

I think it is all good stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back