Lubrimatic Marine Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked some up for the boat trailer and ATV Wheel bearings. A calcium sulfonate base with a 500+ drop point. I can't find the timken load rating. Plough-Erdman product. It has a different texture than the lithium complex marine grease I was using. Any experiences with this grease?

It's a decent grease. Does not need a high timken rating as it's intended for wheel bearings. Be sure and clean all the old grease out before packing with this. Most wheel bearing greases are lithium or lithium complex and I don't think it mixes well with calcium.

Last edited:
Johnny, if you would not mind educating me yet again.....
I pictured load as similar to shear strength in an oil. What property is the Timken test measuring then? Always appreciate your input.

Well I'm no grease expert but I believe the Timken test has to do with load/pressure/downward force/pounding. In other words, how much pressure will it stand before it can be squeezed out between two surfaces. Does that make any since?

Give you an example. Pennzoil make an excellent wheel bearing grease, their 707L. It's a lithium complex grease with a Timken Ok load of 45 lbs. Would not want to use it on the bucket pins of a backhoe, but it's a great wheel bearing grease that stands up to high temps.

Last edited:
Aqua Shield from DA Stuart Company is a superior grease for boat trailer wheels typically exposed to water. It also has very good corrosion inhibitors.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
I picked some up for the boat trailer and ATV Wheel bearings. A calcium sulfonate base with a 500+ drop point. I can't find the timken load rating. Plough-Erdman product. It has a different texture than the lithium complex marine grease I was using. Any experiences with this grease?

I contacted Plough-Erdman and here is the Timken load info on this grease.

ASTM Test Method D-2509
Timken OK Load lbs. 65

Originally Posted By: Johnny

I contacted Plough-Erdman and here is the Timken load info on this grease.

ASTM Test Method D-2509
Timken OK Load lbs. 65

Thank you sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back