LTE is freakin' fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, I've never used my S3 on LTE until today. I was in the GTA so I figured I'd run speedtest:

Screenshot_2012-12-03-21-58-06.png

WOW.

Yes, yes it is. Unfortunately it's also a battery hog, at least on most phones where it's a separate radio. I have to leave it turned off on my CDMA Galaxy Nexus if I want to get through the day on a charge and actually use the phone.

Originally Posted By: rationull
Yes, yes it is. Unfortunately it's also a battery hog, at least on most phones where it's a separate radio. I have to leave it turned off on my CDMA Galaxy Nexus if I want to get through the day on a charge and actually use the phone.

I was in the GTA all day today. I unplugged the phone to leave at 5AM and at 10:15PM it is now at 27% battery left
21.gif

Doesn't seem like it is a hog on this phone at all considering it was used very heavily today.

Certainly atypical speeds for ATT or Verizon LTE...I usually see anywhere from 10Mbps - 22 Mbps from my US based ATT or Verizon customers.

Was that on Rogers?

FYI, that's about $30 of data in 9 minutes at that speed
smile.gif

Last edited:
I havent been able to be anyplace where its available. My phone is capable, though thats kinda useless when everywhere you go only has 3G. I was in Las Vegas last year and thought, "Hey, gotta be 4G down here."
No dice.
That is monsterously fast, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112
Certainly atypical speeds for ATT or Verizon LTE...I usually see anywhere from 10Mbps - 22 Mbps from my US based ATT or Verizon customers.

Was that on Rogers?

FYI, that's about $30 of data in 9 minutes at that speed
smile.gif

Yes, that was Rogers. Run very early in the morning, which may explain the speed.

I have LTE on my new phone, its pretty awesome.
Agree about ability to blow through data though.
I generally only use data when I'm on WiFi because of that.

I prefer WiFi over LTE with my Droid Razr, the battery lasts a lot longer on WiFi, go figure. OTOH, I get 15Mbps standing in my kitchen at 5PM (edit: on LTE), it's pretty nice when you need it. My LTE is faster than my cable modem.

If I really need my battery to last a long time on cell signal only I use the Phone Info app to switch to 3G only.

Last edited:
Get a 4G smarty phone with Straight Talk and get NO data limit for $45 a month. Unlimited text, unlimited talk, unlimited data.

Originally Posted By: rationull

Newer Qualcomm chipset like the one on iPhone5 is one radio, the older designs from other phone companies use 2 radio and are indeed battery hog.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Yeah it is. It would be great if you wouldn't blow through a 3GB data cap in about 2 minutes at full speed.

Yup, it will relieve network congestion but don't expect it to let you suddenly watch movies all day. It is more for the carriers to save tower building cost than anything else.

Who could have imagined the day a cell phone would outperform a (decade ago) business network. Kids today take this stuff for granted.

The main problem I see with high speed bandwidth like this is lazy developers. Some applications have a great experience on 3G due to talents of good programmers who understand multitasking and breaking up data into smaller chunks.

High speed data means lazy on the programmers app owners part.

If LTE is bad does it slow down still faster than 3g or have those annoying lags? 3g works quite well with full signal but spotty signal is misery.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Who could have imagined the day a cell phone would outperform a (decade ago) business network. Kids today take this stuff for granted.

I guess you don't remember a T1 line or 1200 baud modem :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I guess you don't remember a T1 line or 1200 baud modem :)

LOL! or AOL on DOS. And the Prodigy shopping experience was, ummm, well let's put it this way, from the time you clicked "Submit" on the order to the time the next screen scrolled by confirming your order, you would have blown through 2GB of LTE data.
smile.gif

Question for those who are LTE customers: how much data do you use per month? 3GB doesn't seem like much when graphics and vids fly in & out of the device quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back