LS1 back at the dealer for "diesel" sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2002 LS1 is back at the dealer for that diesel sound. This time I'm having them take into concideration the oil pump cavtating like we talked about here before. I suggested this possibility over the pistons causing the noise. I'll let you LS1 owners know what the dealer says after they take another look. This is the same dealer that rebuilt it several months ago. Stay tuned!

im so pissed my ls1 makes so many **** noises its a plethora of noises and it makes me want to drain the oil and WOT it

Ok, They swear they can not hear hear it and had several different techs listen for it(diesel sound) I had one tech listen with me and I said "you can not hear that clank, clank, clank, clank, clank... and he said it just sounds like a normal engine noise. This is the same dealer who agreed to do a rebuild at 12,000 miles to take care of oil consumption and pistonslap. I'm just going to drive it! Oil consumption seems to be gone and it runs really well. Maybe the LS1 is just always going to make funny noises.

I have one one of these engines and they are a nosier than the normal V8 engine. I have had the occasion to listen to a lot of them at a Camaro/Firebird gathering and they are noisy. As the engine warms up, it quites down. You have an aluminum block, steel crank, roller lifters etc. Its not going to be as quite as a Cadillac engine.

You said it yourself, no one else hears the noise you hear which seems to show that its is normal to the LS1.

Back in the early years of the Camaro, when the ZL1 and solids lifters LT1 engine came out, they were noisy also. Its just the way it is. One of the reasons you here engine noise is they skimp of insulations and sound deadening on these cars. My TA had not under-hood insulation or sound deadening applied to the body.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your engine and probably was nothing wrong before you had it rebuilt. GM High Performance engines always used oil. I had a new 1970 SS 454-360 HP Chevelle and I would complain back then how it used oil, 1 qt/1000 miles and if I were to hotrod it around for a few hours, it would use a quart per tankful.

You are going to have to live with it or trade it off and get a V6 model.
LS1 INfo
Go over and search this site for LS1 noise, you wil lfind its common, LS1.com

[ January 11, 2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

True, it is very common, but some are definitely much louder than others. They aren't all making these noises, my 98 Formula's LS1 didn't do it. But yet the 94 Grand Am GT I had a few years prior sounded so bad that I got fed up and traded it in on a 95 Trans Am just 18 months into the lease, since the dealer refused to fix it. I hated the sound of the piston slap in that 3100 engine, it sounded like a diesel engine it was so bad, and I always got strange comments from my coworkers when they heard me start it up at the end of my shift.

Sorry to hear of that Chris B. It's a crazy thing with these LS1's as some knock some don't some eat oil and some don't. Kinda like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get
dunno.gif
I'm fortunate to have an LS1 that doesn't knock or consume oil. The LS1 is alot noisier than any V8 I've ever heard but I've gotten use to it and any extra noise it makes I then relax in the fact that I can blow **** near any and everything off the road in my noisemaker mullet mobile!
lol.gif

I have a sample going to Blackstone as we speak of my latest run of Schaeffer's PAO Blend in my LS1. This sample saw 1500 miles of interstate along with many WOT runs and 6 dyno pulls. I'll post it up ASAP.

I absolutly love this car and would never trade or sell it! I acctualy like the way the engine is loude as it sounds and is very powerfull!. I'm just concerned that it might have a problem and could show up in the long run. I'm starting to not worry about it as so many LS1's have this "problem" and seem to last a long time reguardless. I'm just going to drive it and keep doing UOA's.
The 1 good thing I got out of the rebuild is that the oil burning is gone. The last 2,400 or so miles the oil has not dropped on the dip stick at all and the last 1,200 on M1 has not moved on the stick also! Looks like the new rings work!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
Sorry to hear of that Chris B. It's a crazy thing with these LS1's as some knock some don't some eat oil and some don't. Kinda like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get
dunno.gif
I'm fortunate to have an LS1 that doesn't knock or consume oil. The LS1 is alot noisier than any V8 I've ever heard but I've gotten use to it and any extra noise it makes I then relax in the fact that I can blow **** near any and everything off the road in my noisemaker mullet mobile!
lol.gif

I have a sample going to Blackstone as we speak of my latest run of Schaeffer's PAO Blend in my LS1. This sample saw 1500 miles of interstate along with many WOT runs and 6 dyno pulls. I'll post it up ASAP.

I know what you mean! I like to blow away "ricers" the best. I can't stand those 4 bangers that think they are muscle cars. The all wheel drives can hang off the line but as soon as the wheels grip they don't stand a chance!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
dunno.gif
lol.gif

I know what you mean! I like to blow away "ricers" the best. I can't stand those 4 bangers that think they are muscle cars. The all wheel drives can hang off the line but as soon as the wheels grip they don't stand a chance!
grin.gif

You haven't been racing the fast imports in the Denver area
grin.gif

I admit i do race sometimes when it is just to tempting at a red light. I DO NOT reccomend street racing at all but if you do the occational stop light race be carefull!!!!!! I will never weave in traffac to catch someone, I only race at a red light and as soon as as I hit the speed limit or a few over I let off the gas which by then I'm usually way ahead of the competition!

Kill list:
Maxima's
Civic's
Supra
WRX's
A few Audi's
LT1 Camaro
Mustang's
Celeca's
3000GT
Talon's/Eclip's
An a few other I can't think of

Cars that killed me
A few Camaros
Mustang Corbra
C5 Vette
1st gen Viper
NOS eclips
mad.gif

Some of these were at the track and some on the street, a lot of fun eithor way!
grin.gif

Yes she's fast but how does she corner? It is not rocket science to go fast in a straight line. Going fast through winding montain pass with double switch backs and reduceing radius curves now that is fun!

P.S. Bang for the buck the F-Body is a bargin.

John, many of the guys in my f-body club are into autocrossing and road racing. In stock form the f-body handles very well, but with a simple change of shocks&springs (which isn't expensive at all) and it becomes a Corvette killer!

Patman, We have auto-cross's at my facility. The place is about 4 square miles of down town space. The area is fencend in and has virgin black top all over the place. You see all kinds of COrvettes,old race cars and kit car's. They usualy use the area on the week ends dureing summer. We do not see a lot of F-Bodys out their though.

Truthfuly how is your F-Body for squeaks and rattles. To date all of the modern F-Cars with more then 36,000 I have seen have worn out door pins, squeak and rattle real bad and have electrical problems mostly confined to body control module,keyless entry reciver module, window regulators worn out and various switch's. I am guessing you see more F-Body's then I do because you are into them. Do all of them rattle like a 20 year old pickup crossing a set of RR tracks or are the ones I see just abused??

JB, tell us how you really feel about American cars, especially GM! F-bodies aren't known for structural rigidity (sub frame connectors solves that), but they go like a bat outa hell, that's for sure.

quote:

Truthfuly how is your F-Body for squeaks and rattles.

Truthfully, it does have a few, but it's a 1995 model with 97,000 miles on it, so I don't expect it to be as quiet as a new Mercedes.

It has been fairly reliable since I bought it in 2001 with 56k on it. Here is the list of things I have needed to get done on it since I bought it, some of which were obviously regular wear and tear items for an older car:

-new EGR valve at 63k, cost $50, took 15min to change
-new oxygen sensors at 73k
-fixed vacuum leak (hose running to PCV) at 74k, cost next to nothing, one minute to fix
-backflush heater core at 75k to restore heater performance
-new water pump at 79k
-new trans mount at 88k (hard launches at the dragstrip were responsible for this one)
-new battery at 91k

As well I've done the brakes all around, gone through a few sets of tires (mostly due to me changing my mind, not actually wearing all of them out) and have changed various bulbs inside and out.

As the car stands right now, it's in good shape, the only issues are a minor oil leak from the intake manifold (common LT1 problem due to their use of inferior RTV sealant and the close proximity of the EGR valve which heats things up) and the power door lock button on the driver's side does not work anymore. I drive this car everyday and it does not let me down, it gets 18MPG in the winter and 20-21 in the summer, this includes a lot of rush hour heavy traffic, and lots of full throttle blasts whenever I get the chance.

All things considered, this car is very durable for the amount of abuse it takes. I know many LT1 f-body owners with high miles and have not had many problems at all. They are a lot of fun, and don't cost very much in the used car market. It'll tide me over nicely until I get my C5 Corvette in 2006 or 2007.

My 02 SS was very rigid stock but as Drew99GT has stated these cars are unibody and are not known for rigidity. The first thing any new Fbody buyer should do is buy a set of subframe connectors. These will tie the front and rear subframes together and make the car much more rigid. Eventually without the SFC's your rear quarter panels near the hatchback will crease and you will start to hear the rattles and squeaks. My SS has the following suspension mods and they are worth their weight in gold compared to the stock parts........SLP Subframe Connectors, BMR Shock Tower Brace, BMR Tubular Lower Control Arms, Edelbrock Torque Arm and A Edelbrock Panhard Rod. My car is very stiff and I can hit corners and turns as hard as I want with the weak link now being the stock 275/40Z17 tires. A set of 315 wide tires would be a better improvement.

Patman, I was honestly just trying to get some owner experince from some one less biased then myself! I figured that the ones I saw had been abused from day one!

If it makes anyone feel better I know of very few F-Body owners that need new trans or engine. I always gave the F-Body two thumbs up for fun factor and bang for the buck!

I also give the Caprice Clasic with SEO option and the RWD Impala SS two thumbs up!! I have had the opertunity to play around with an old police car that had SEO package. It had the recaro seats, the LT1, locking rear diff. ......It had 185,000 miles on it and it ran great. It was feed a steady diet of M1 10W30 buy the owner and the local garage that did the maintence for the local police station feed it a steady diet of 15W40 it's life with the police.

If GM ever makes an affordable family sedan that is rear wheel drive I will buy one if it has either the 3.8V6 or a new V8 that does not consume oil and knock! I think GM does RWD cars better then anything else. The 1996 Impala SS was close to perfection!

offtopic.gif

I am going to fab up some sub frame connectors for my Camry. Once it is out of warranty I am going to beef it up. I have a list of design improvments that will hopefully get me up to .95-1G on the skid pad! Right now my 4dr sedan pulls somthing wimpy like .72-.82 G on a 200Ft skid pad. I can get about 62-65 MPH through salom. The car is a big heavy 4 cylinder so drag raceing is out but auto-X can be real fun!!

[ January 17, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

My 2002 Camaro is pretty tight with 17,000+ but in those 17,000+ it has seen more dirt farm roads then most trucks see in 100,000 miles! My in-laws own a farm and to get to it you have to travel on several miles of dirt road that is not maintained well. We visit them twice a week. So far the car has held up great! I will say it has a squeek somewhere near the right rear shock when going over bumps and the windows rattel when rolled down and shutting the doors but solid as a bank vault when rolled up. Nothing in the dash rattels thank God! A tiny bit of wind noise but not to bad for T-tops.
Warranty work includes:
*A lower end rebuild for knocking and oil consumption which is gone now! (consumption)

*New trunk shocks

*New steering wheel because a stich came out of leather

Not to bad in 2 years except for the rebuild which might not have needed to be done but was worth a shot to see what would happen to the noise.

I love this car, extreemly powerfull and gets 30MPG highway 26MPG city and is fun as heak to drive! NOTHING can touch it at it's price and then some!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back