Lowest temperature for 10W30 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1994 I started a Chevy S10 2.8 at -22 degrees with Pennzoil 10W-30. Ran fine after a few seconds. What stopped me was when I pushed the clutch pedal, it did come back up. Took about a 15 minute warmup before I could work the clutch pedal.

For me I wouldn't want to go much below -10F with it. Will it work? Sure. Are there better choices for colder temps? Absolutely!

Thanks for all the information guys. I appreciate the quick responses.

I usually use 5W30 year-round, but this fall switched to 10W30 due to oil usage. I wanted to see if switching to 10W30 helped with excess oil usage (no noticeable difference).

My car manual (1994 Honda Accord) recommends 10W30 only when temperatures are greater than -3 C (26 F).

I just needed some peace of mind, and from the comments here, 10W30 should be fine. I will switch to 5W30 in the next two weeks. BTW. Battery is one year old and cranks fine.

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
The OP is talking about 10w30 dino. I can't imagine a non-syn 10w30 turning over at -40 whether it is C or F!

Ummm, -40F = -40C.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: sangyup81
The OP is talking about 10w30 dino. I can't imagine a non-syn 10w30 turning over at -40 whether it is C or F!

Ummm, -40F = -40C.

55.gif

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
We had 10w30 in our Grand Prix. Started just fine at -22F, only had a few moments of some chatter, but most of these motors do that when cold and worn in anyways.

They do? The 2 cars I have don't make any noise after cold start up. And two different 3800s my buddys run that don't make any cold start up. My past 3800 and 3300 didn't make any cold start up noise.

To the OP: I used 10w30 dino all year before on previous cars. You shouldn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back