Low-SAPS, Mid-SAPS, Full-SAPS

I know that 800 ppm is universally deemed as mid-SAPS as part of the ACEA C3 spec, but what are the ppm ranges that generally define these categories? For example, if a mid-SAPS oil is, say, 1100 ppm, is it still considered mid or is that in the full range, and when does full transition to high, or are full and high the same thing?

Thanks. I actually meant what level of SA defines the low, mid and full categories.

It's in the link I gave you. ACEA Cx are mid/low saps and the SA limits are provided.

% m/m is mass percent concentration of grams of solute per 100 gram solution. So .8% (ACEA C3) would be .8 grams or 800 ppm.

ACEA A3/B4 has a floor of 1 %m/m or 1 gram.

Last edited:
I believe Sulphated Ash is measured by weight not ppm.
It would be percent per the ASTM procedure.

It's also important to note that there isn't "sulfated" ash in the oil, the sulfation is part of the analytical process. So it's really giving an indication of the amount of metallic ash in the oil. It's a common analytical method and is used for other things besides petroleum products.

It would be percent per the ASTM procedure.

It's also important to note that there isn't "sulfated" ash in the oil, the sulfation is part of the analytical process. So it's really giving an indication of the amount of metallic ash in the oil. It's a common analytical method and is used for other things besides petroleum products.
Ya. I edited my reply to the OP to help clarify what he was looking for.

Back