Looking to convert rear drum brakes to disc brakes on ‘98 Chev K1500 Silverado

As title stated. Is there a kit or parts list to convert drum to disc?
Front already are disc. I want rear disc also.

A quick Google turned up several kits all of which utilized 6 lug wheels.
The kits didn't include axles so....I don't know.
See when GM went to rear discs and check on a owners' club site if the entire rear end is swappable.

Guys on the Ranger board swap 2010 and 2011 3rd generation Ranger rears to the earlier years with drums with just a bit of work.

Last edited:
Tons out there and I get it the GMT 400 brakes are well...poo. The drums are lack luster, my kid had them on his 97. It is common to upgrade the fronts to GMT 800 and then put one of the aftermarket kits on the back. They are easy to install and worth it.

Wow!
I had googled and asked a dozen mechanics and other gear heads and either got shrugs or that I’d have to replace the rear axle and rest of brake system.
Thanks!!!
At the price of the kit, I’ll gladly convert to rear discs!

The rear drums fade badly when they get hot, such as towing without electric trailer brakes. They also start leaking at about 100,000 mi or 10yrs. My 25yr old Silverado has had them rebuilt three times in 200,000mi. Includes new drums and cylinders, pads and hardware.
The front pads have been replaced twice… original rotors… but next time will need replacing. $$$x3 vs $$.

As title stated. Is there a kit or parts list to convert drum to disc?
Front already are disc. I want rear disc also.
I've been wanting to do this with my neon. From forums you'd need the correct master cylinder, brake fluid reservoir, abs related hardware. If there were versions of your vehicle with rear disk brakes it should be doable.

If you really want an upgrade for your GMT400 brakes, get rid of the ABS unit and put in a regular proportioning valve. Just did this on a 99 Suburban as the ABS unit was toast and it was causing very hard pedal and limited stopping. After looking into what it cost to get a reman or used ABS unit ($500-$1000), I decided to go with the proportioning valve option for $80 on Summit Racing. Not the most fun to put in but it was a night and day difference when I got it done and bled. While you don't have ABS anymore, I'll take better working brakes over terrible ABS brakes any day.

Back