Looking to buy a deer hunting rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
This last season was the first that hunting with a rifle was allowed during shotgun season in the county in western NY where I hunt. Though I love my Browning gold hunter 3-1/2" semi-auto, I think a rifle would be nice for longer shots in open terrain.

I have been thinking about something in the 6.5mm, .270, 7mm, .30-06 range. I looked at a Savage .270 at ****'s Sporting Goods. It seemed cheap, but I am used to a Browning. I'm not looking to spend a fortune but I also don't want a cheap toy. Any advice?

biggthumbcoffe.gif

CZ-550's are excellent bolt-guns at a reasonable price. All forged steel, and hammer-forged barrels. Nice wood stocks, too.

What do you have a preference for ? bolt action, lever action, single shot, semi-auto... Lots of calibers available, you got a preference? I have a Browning BLR in .358 Winchester, that's a lever action.

.270 typically is consdered to have a a bit lighter recoil, 30.06 has bigger game potential, either will do fine. A decent make bolt action is a no brainer, lots of choices here. Expect to pay more for collectables, fancy stocks, fancy actions advertised to have better than average accuracy, etc.

Fewer people are hunting and lots of good used rifles are available.

I suggest a Savage, the AccuTrigger is excellent and out of the box accuracy takes a back seat to no one. Personally I stay away from any rifle with a synthetic stock. I do own a few Remingtons, but the cheap brazed on bolt handles and the worst safety in the business usually relegate them to paper punchers for me.

My FIL has a Browning .30-06 semi-auto that he got a couple of years ago for free, part of some program where he earns points for all the diesel fuel he buys.

Anyway, it's a sweet piece. I've handled it, but neither of us has shot it. I recommend you at least check it out before you buy anything else.

I own a Browning BAR semi-auto .30-06. The accuracy has been great for me, and this gun has plenty of knock down power for whitetail deer and smaller.

The clip is a little bit of a clumsy operation b/c you have to slide it onto the opening door first...then close the door into the gun. This operation may have some advantages I can't think of right now. I would change it if I could.

Any number of calibers will do just fine for deer. In terms of ammunition sold, the "Big 4", that WalMart has on sale every fall before deer season, are: .30/06 Springfield, .308 Win, .270 Win, & .243 Win. And then there's always the old .30-30 Win if you like the trim little Marlin &/or Winchester saddleguns. You can find ammunition for those 5 calibers anywhere that sells centerfire rifle ammo. Some of these new "short magnum" cartridges & older, foreign rounds may be tough to find at a little country crossroads store.

You might also look at the Winchester Model 70's in a bolt action, before they sell out(been discontinued). But then, I have a soft spot for the good ole M-70 Winchester- mine's a Model 70 Featherweight, Pre-64, .270 Win, bought used with my own $$ way back when I was 16 years old. No, it's not for sale.
grin.gif

If you're buying used, you might want to pay more attention to the rifle than its cartridge. And you can *defintely* save some major $$ with a used rifle/scope combo.
wink.gif
I'd advise against any of the .22 centerfires categorically, & get a .243 or 6mm only if the rifle truly "spoke" to me. Otherwise, anything from 6.5mm(or .264"- more a matter of bullet weights available than caliber) thru the .30 calibers should do quite well for even *big* deer. Though the .25 caliber has its supporters- and the old .250 Savage cartridge is still available, and by all accounts a real sweet shooter for deer. (Way back when, it was also the first commercially loaded cartridge to claim a muzzle velocity of 3000 feet per second- hence its full name, the .250/3000 Savage.)

Repeat- *especially* when buying used, buy the *rifle* first, the cartridge second.

quote:

Originally posted by 416Rigby:
CZ-550's are excellent bolt-guns at a reasonable price. All forged steel, and hammer-forged barrels. Nice wood stocks, too.

Another nice thing is that the CZ's use a controlled-round-feed extractor, and while I dont believe it is required on non dangerous game, it is still a nice feature.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I need to do some research and take a look at all of the guns that have been suggested.

I like the Encore and the A-bolt for sure, I'll take a look at the others as well.

Thanks again!!

No matter which rifle you buy spend some money for a decent scope. There's nothing worse than a $600 rifle with a $30 Tasco scope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back