Looking for straight 75W MTF options in USA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't split hairs. The Redline 75-80 would be a very good fluid.
Your trans isn't getting to 100C, anyways.
Note that trans fluids are rated at 150F, not 200 like engine oils.

Of course they can be measured at any temp.
There is no law stopping anybody!

But the 150/200 thing is evident by noting how thick gear lubes are rated, when they are compared to engine oils of the same approximate viscosity.
A 90Wgear oil is about 40-50W motor oil.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Note that trans fluids are rated at 150F, not 200 like engine oils.

Just about every gear-oil spec sheet I've ever seen has rated the oil at 40c and 100c. I don't ever recall seeing anything at 150F. The temperature used in the SAE spec is 100C.

Of course they can be measured at any temp.
There is no law stopping anybody!

Nobody is stopping you from rating oils at 150F, but I don't see anyone else doing it.

SAE J306, Viscosity Classification for Automotive Gear Oils
http://www.widman.biz/English/Tables/J306.html

Thanks Widman!

Last edited:
Want to know the craziest part about this? While this GTI comes with 6.3 cSt (Fuchs SAE 75W) from the factory, the manual calls for 75W-90 GL-4. That just seems seems crazy to spec a fluid around 15 cSt and then put in one around 6.3 cSt.

Thanks again for all the suggestions martinq and Molakule. I really appreciate it. I'll have to go through these all and figure out what will work, maintain warranty and what I can actually find for a reasonable price.

Also, this leads to another question. This car comes stock at around 200 HP. The owner is considering tuneing it to around 260-270 HP. Would this have any affect on the MTF? My initial thought is that it would be good to go with a slightly thicker MTF to help protect (maybe Redline MTL). But I'm not familiar with the properties of MTF in an MTX and if they do anything more than lubricate and cool. If that is all they do, maybe fluid should be chosen based purely on the transmission and ambient temperatures with no regard to motor HP output? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
This car comes stock at around 200 HP. The owner is considering tuneing it to around 260-270 HP. Would this have any affect on the MTF? My initial thought is that it would be good to go with a slightly thicker MTF to help protect (maybe Redline MTL). But I'm not familiar with the properties of MTF in an MTX and if they do anything more than lubricate and cool. If that is all they do, maybe fluid should be chosen based purely on the transmission and ambient temperatures with no regard to motor HP output? What do you guys think?

When increasing the torque input on a transmission you generally want to increase the viscosity and/or cooling to compensate. I don't think the owner will have to worry about either unless they are doing track-days. Based on what you're saying I would probably try Red Line D4 or a mix of MTL & D6. MTL by itself would probably work well in the summer but as a year-round fluid it might not be a good fit.

It is very important however, to change the oil after the transmission has been broken in to flush out the wear particles and prevent accelerated wear.

While you are doing research on fluid you should also find out where you can get have it tested and what tests are available and at what cost. When you start modifying it's a very good idea to keep tabs on the criticals to make sure you're not getting into trouble. This will also help you find the optimal change-interval for the fluid you're using in this specific application.

How long has the OE fluid been in the transmission?
Has this tranny been used on other/previous models?

Last edited:
Quote:
Want to know the craziest part about this? While this GTI comes with 6.3 cSt (Fuchs SAE 75W) from the factory, the manual calls for 75W-90 GL-4. That just seems seems crazy to spec a fluid around 15 cSt and then put in one around 6.3 cSt.

Historically, it is not unusual for a manf. to specify a thicker fluid in the tranny and then later discover the thicker fluid doesn't shift well in cold weather, and then Factory fill it with lower viscosity fluid. Many times customer feedback forces this change.

But the 150/200 thing is evident by noting how thick gear lubes are rated, when they are compared to engine oils of the same approximate viscosity.
A 90Wgear oil is about 40-50W motor oil.

The engine and gear SAE viscosity values are arbitrary scales. A 90 SAE gear oil is the same viscosity at 100C as 40-50 SAE motor oil is at 100C, just as 100C, 212F, and 315.15K are the same temperature.

Ed

Last edited:
If you can provide the transmission code (3 letters) I can give you the part number for OEM fluid. I'm assuming it's NBX, NBW, LNY, LHY, KWB, MCB, KXZ, KZS, KZW, LHD, LNZ, NFN, NFP or NFU... but all of those are spec'd either G052171A2 or G052512A2.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Can you provide the VW spec number for the fluid. That would put all of the speculation to rest.

There isn't really a "spec number" per say but the fluid part number that VW apparently used is G-052-171-A2. All VW says is 75W-90 GL-4 but they don't use that fluid.

Blau doesn't have the Ravenol that carries the VW part #. Ravenol 75W

Last edited:
That thread is what got my started on my pursuit of a quality replacement MTF that wouldn't break the bank.

Don't know if the price would be any better but a TES-295 fluid might be suitable. Still looking into this and some others.

Quote:
That thread is what got my started on my pursuit of a quality replacement MTF that wouldn't break the bank.

We understand badtic, and we're trying to hook you up with a fluid that provides good shifting and wear protection.

If your shifting performance is good, then you may have to bite the bullet and go with a 6.X cSt lubricant of synthetic base and an MTL additive package.

Originally Posted By: default
If the book is allowing a 75w90, look at Amsoil MTG, its an extremely light 90 wt.

Amsoil MTG is exactly the kind of fluid he is looking for but MTG has a 100C visc of 14 which will definitely affect the shifting performance. Amsoil MTF is 9.7 which is closer and might do the trick.

I still think Red Line D4 is worth a shot and could be spot-on for this application (100C of 7cSt after shear).

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Why not a Synchromesh type lube like Penzoil's or Amsoil's?

We've already gone over those and they're all significantly thicker than the OE fill. It's possible that a 9-10cSt MTF would work well but the user will need to make the decision whether to try it or not.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

We understand badtic, and we're trying to hook you up with a fluid that provides good shifting and wear protection.

If your shifting performance is good, then you may have to bite the bullet and go with a 6.X cSt lubricant of synthetic base and an MTL additive package.

I agree. It is looking like Fuchs 75W might end up being the choice since it is supposed to be the factory fill. My only concern was now the car has been "tuned" and is producing ~265HP instead of the factory ~205 HP or whatever.

I just worry that this increase in HP might be too much for a 6-7 cSt MTF. I couldn't find the Castrol Syntrans FE 75W anywhere online in the USA or it would be a great candidate too.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Martinq, the D4 and MTL are the choices if we decide to up the viscosity a bit for more protection and maybe Amsoil synchromesh depending on prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back