Looking for straight 75W MTF options in USA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject says, I'm looking for 75W MTFs. As of right now, all I can find is Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W.

Does anyone know of any more? I can find others like Eurol and Ravenol, but those appear to be europe only.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Why would you possibly want a straight weight MTF for any vehicle in your sig??? I only see straight wt GEAR OIL for diffs, not MTF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Why would you possibly want a straight weight MTF for any vehicle in your sig??? I only see straight wt GEAR OIL for diffs, not MTF.

It isn't for my vehicles. It is for a VW.

Although I'm considering getting some for my Mazda3 later on since it uses 75W-80.

Last edited:
Considering you want a straight weight and its for VW, I am assuming It's a vintage vw gearbox??

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Considering you want a straight weight and its for VW, I am assuming It's a vintage vw gearbox??

It is a 2013 GTI 6spd MTX. It doesn't need to be straight 75W, but it appears most of the fluids that meet VW's spec are just labeled as "75W". I'm sure something rated 70W75 would be very similar.

The Redline MTL 75W80 might be a choice at 10.5 cSt at 100C.

The 75WX's have a much better VI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
The Redline MTL 75W80 might be a choice at 10.5 cSt at 100C.

The 75WX's have a much better VI.

That is still quite a bit higher than the 6.3 cSt of the OEM fluid. I'm worried that will be noticeable in winter.

Also, the MTL is a 70W-80. Would that be an even better VI?

Last edited:
I would use one of the following depending on your temperature range and intended use (lightest at the top):

cSt@40C / VI
32 / 154 - Castrol Syntrans FE
34 / 198 - Red Line D4
42 / 208 - Pennzoil Synchromesh
48 / 190 - Amsoil MTF (Manual Synchromesh Transmission)
55 / 150 - Castrol Syntrans Max
56 / 183 - Red Line MTL
73 / 222 - Motul Gear 300
88 / 162 - Amsoil MTG (Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube)

My pick would likely be Red Line MTL or Amsoil MTF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
That is still quite a bit higher than the 6.3 cSt of the OEM fluid. I'm worried that will be noticeable in winter.

In that case I'd stick with Amsoil MTF, Pennzoil Synchromesh or Red Line D4.
(light > lighter > lightest)

Last edited:
I was hoping people would know of more 75W (~6.5cSt@100C). Looks like it will be Fuchs Titan Sintosin 75W or OEM. OEM fluid is crazy pricey at $30/L. Fuchs looks to be around $15-18/L.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was hoping people would know of more 75W (~6.5cSt@100C).

I think everything I've mentioned IS a 75w. 6.5cSt@100C does not apply to 75w. If that's what you're looking for that's a different question.

70w and 75w both have a minimum viscosity at 100C of 4.1.
70w has a max visc of 150,000 cP at -55C
75w has a max visc of 150,000 cP at -40C

All of these oils mentioned exceed the 75w specs, some might meet the 70w as well.

Last edited:
For a durable 6.5cSt@100C I'd go with:

cSt@100C / VI
6.4 / 166 - Red Line D6 (shears to approx 6.1)
7.3 / 168 - Mobil Delvac Synth ATF
7.3 / 168 - Castrol Transynd
7.4 / 170 - Amsoil ATD (Torq-Drive)
7.4 / 176 - Mobil 1 ATF
7.5 / 198 - Red Line D4 (shears to approx 7.0)
7.5 / 163 - Amsoil ATF

For a top-grade, bang-on 6.5cSt (post shear) I'd mix Red Line D4 & D6 50/50. You could get a similar mix by using Amsoil ATF/ATL.

Last edited:
would all those be GL-4 rated?

Your first list appeard to all be closer to 10 cSt or higher unless I missed a few.

Last edited:
I know the Red Line D4/D6 is GL4 rated, not sure about the rest. Even if it meets the performance requirements of GL4 most ATF-like fluids aren't going to be tested or spec'd for it.

Another suggestion would be to try the Pentosin FFL fluids. They are definitely more of a transaxle type and in your visc range. VERY shear-stable (like Red Line / Amsoil).

FFL2 (1st gen)
FFL3/4 (2nd gen, better)
FFL-Racing (3rd gen, best, not on the website yet)

http://pentosin.net/f_transmissionfluid.asp

Last edited:
Your first list appeard to all be closer to 10 cSt or higher unless I missed a few.

Yes my first list was of 75w manual-transmission fluids and they tend to be around 10cSt at 100C.

I looked at pentosin but I didn't look to closely because they were all labeled for Dual Clutch Transmissions. They don't mention a GL-# rating. The FFL looks close to the VW fluid.

I looked at pentosin but I didn't look to closely because they were all labeled for Dual Clutch Transmissions. They don't mention a GL-# rating. The FFL looks close to the VW fluid.

The FFL fluids are definitely some of best out there but are also the most expensive (within reason). The clutch capability won't be an issue as some synchros are clutch-lined and some are brass. The GL ratings aren't really applicable much anymore. The GL5 is a good baseline for hypoid-gears but that's about it.

If money/availability wasn't an issue I'd use the FFL-Racing. Otherwise, I'd stick with Red Line or Amsoil.

http://www.pentosin.de/flexxtrader/data/usf/Pentosin FFL - Racing_GB.pdf
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/Man Trans Lubes PDS 8-10.pdf

The FFL-Racing shows a shear-loss of 3.9% after 192hrs (!) which brings it down to 6.2cSt at 100C. Just about the same as Red Line D6.

Last edited:
Well, you threw us a heavy sinker when you said 75W. If you had stated the actual viscosity in the beginning it may have resulted in a shorter thread.

But see if you can get this one:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B2595F482E5CEF9080257840006395E8/$File/BPXE-8EGFK8_0.pdf

Ford's Dry Clutch Transmission fluid is essentially this fluid but I would imagine the dealer prices would be insane.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Ford's Dry Clutch Transmission fluid is essentially this fluid but I would imagine the dealer prices would be insane.

I thought of that too and last I checked the price up here is $30+ per bottle. If you're looking for a 'cheap' fluid I think that Red Line and Amsoil is where it's at.

Any of the Dual Clutch or Double Clutch transmission (DCT) fluids of 6.X to 7.X cSt by Castrol or Pentosin would be better than any ATF because the DCT fluids have the proper level of Anti-Wear additives and friction modifiers.

The ATF's have low levels of Anti-Wear and no friction modifiers for manual transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back