Looking for RWD sedans with manual tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Good luck finding a cheap and well-maintained E30 or E36 M3. Those things have skyrocketed in price lately.

Thanks for the suggestions. The M3 seems to be the benchmark for sports sedans/coupes. I hope to find one without iDrive and navigation, which I think are just distractions.

As said above BMW has a boat load of them, but everyone drives a BMW....

So I'd go with a late model CTSV, or a 135 which is now a 235I.

GM is the only company that will sell you a V8, stick shift, RWD wagon anymore, in CTSV form. IMHO its the car to get.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregoron
Originally Posted By: dparm
Good luck finding a cheap and well-maintained E30 or E36 M3. Those things have skyrocketed in price lately.

Thanks for the suggestions. The M3 seems to be the benchmark for sports sedans/coupes. I hope to find one without iDrive and navigation, which I think are just distractions.

They exist. There are a surprisingly large number of people who think like you do -- they want the performance with none of the gadgets or add-ons.

Starting in 2011 BMW actually offered a stripped-down model with cloth seats, no power adjustments, no nav, no heated seats, etc.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Can you leverage the benefits of a M3 on Hawaii?

Good point. You'd pretty much cover the island of Oahu from tip to tip in 50 miles. My daily commute is roughly 20 miles round trip. If I have business meetings, it's 30 miles. Some of that is spent in traffic, which is one of the worst in the US. Plus, our roads are pretty bad too. I should probably be looking for a pickup since it's RWD, but none of the current ones are available in MT - Tacoma I'm looking at you.

I'm actually happy with my 2.0l, 5spd Jetta and I think that this car or a GTI/GLI would be a fun enough car for the island. It's a driver's car. If only there was a RWD version of it I'd be happier.

So, would a new M3 make a good case for Hawaii? Probably not cause it won't really get to "stretch out its legs" too much. It's a bit of an overkill along with occasional Panamera's and Bentley's I see displayed at hotels in Waikiki. But, a lower trim 3-series with an inline 6 might be enough. Or, an older M3 that had a smaller displacement engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
As said above BMW has a boat load of them, but everyone drives a BMW....

So I'd go with a late model CTSV, or a 135 which is now a 235I.

GM is the only company that will sell you a V8, stick shift, RWD wagon anymore, in CTSV form. IMHO its the car to get.

Thanks for the suggestion. I read about this wagon in one of Motor Trend's issues where they used it on a "beer run". However, living on an island with no race-track would mean I'd only be using 1/4 of it's potential most of the time. I'd probably have my licensed revoked and jailed just for thinking about the fun I'd put it through on public roads.

Originally Posted By: redhat
GM is putting a 6-speed M/T in the 2015 Chevrolet SS.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/manual-equipped-2015-chevrolet-ss-sedan-might-be-a-thing/

4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders, 415HP, RWD.

20.gif

I wonder IF this could really happen??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why are RWD cars so rare these days? What started the FWD revolution and why? I've always wondered that.

mpg's.

The Ford Falcon can still be had with a 3rd pedal, but according to Ford, Americans don't want a full size RWD V8 manual transmission sedan
frown.gif

1. It usually costs less to build an FWD car. One reason is that the manufacturer can have a subframe with engine, axles, Macpherson struts, power steering rack, control arms already assembled, and quickly install it with less labor and less machinery. The rear suspension can be a simple beam axle which would cost less than a live axle or independent multi-link suspension.
2. FWD has an advantage over RWD when dealing with heavy show. An FWD car may have 60/40 weight distribution, and that can help the tires get closer to the road.
3. Having a transverse inline engine takes up less room under the hood. This enables the car builder to make the car shorter, or give it more room to install safety crumple zones.

Imagining that the car mfgrs had any other motive than CHEAP for fwd is a stretch. It is cheaper to build, easier to package, and generally dynamically inferior in harder driving or track usage.

The exceptions are very few.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

http://blog.caranddriver.com/manual-equipped-2015-chevrolet-ss-sedan-might-be-a-thing/

20.gif

I wonder IF this could really happen??
21.gif

It is possible, but the whole problem is it's a question that no one asked! The "take rate" for manuals is ridiculously low, and the expense of certifying another powertrain option is considerable.

Then there's the issue of integrating all the complex yaw controls and so forth. These work best with control of the throttle, ABS, AND the gearbox...

I despise front wheel drive, so I do understand why the OP wants a rear wheel drive car.

I drive an S2000 (rear wheel drive, 407RWHP) and an F150 RWD/4x4 and a Jaguar X-Type with manual trans (AWD)

Interestingly, the Jaguar X-Type drives the best. I am an AWD convert. Even if it's based on a FWD setup.

For example, the Ford Escape AWD with 2.0 ecoboost is a FWD platform, configured to AWD, and it drives perfectly. With absolutely zero FWD feel. Especially when pushed to it's limits.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Then there's the issue of integrating all the complex yaw controls and so forth. These work best with control of the throttle, ABS, AND the gearbox...

Subaru (current torque vectoring on WRX/STI), Acura and few others have proven 6mt works perfectly and incredibly well with these systems. The new WRX/STI is best ever and has these. I am sure I am forgetting a few others.

Subaru (current torque vectoring on WRX/STI), Acura and few others have proven 6mt works perfectly and incredibly well with these systems. The new WRX/STI is best ever and has these. I am sure I am forgetting a few others.

The Evo X had torque vectoring, and a 5-speed manual was an option.

Some versions of the Evo 8 and 9 had torque vectoring "Super AYC" but not in the USA.

Originally Posted By: gregoron

20.gif

This will be a beast to drive. I like it. I wonder if it comes with a more toned-down version (i.e. inline 6 or turbo 4)?

Only in Australia where it gets a 3.0 and 3.6 V6 and 6.0 and 6.2 v8
As far as I know the US only gets the 6.2 v8

It's basically the same car underneath as the Pontiac G8 that I believe came with a v6, but if they came in a manual they would be hard to find!

of course there are many more.

No one said they didn't make any cars without yaw or ABS just because they had a stick! Please read: the word "best" was a key one.

Now tell me the percentage of those models sold with a stick, and forget halo cars like WRX and EVO those are enthusiasts cars. Total production numbers versus stick shifts sold are rather revealing...

Last edited:
Unfortunately each generation of car - even RWD 6MT cars are getting more isolated and numb. I would love to replace my 8 year old G35, but the new ones don't drive as well. Same thing with our E60 BMW - its not as good as the older ones, but is better than the F10 as far as the driving experience.

German cars are becoming buicks, Japanese cars are mimicking German cars.

And I can't afford an M3 and M5 combo - both financially and socially.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Unfortunately each generation of car - even RWD 6MT cars are getting more isolated and numb. I would love to replace my 8 year old G35, but the new ones don't drive as well. Same thing with our E60 BMW - its not as good as the older ones, but is better than the F10 as far as the driving experience.

German cars are becoming buicks, Japanese cars are mimicking German cars.

And I can't afford an M3 and M5 combo - both financially and socially.

This, right here, sums up why I can't see myself owning anything much newer than my Jeep for the forseeable future. Most of the newer stuff, especially non-performance models, is just numb, with over-assisted steering and brakes.

I registered to this forum when I saw this thread.
I guess you'll have to build your own like I did !!!

I've built that one... 4000$ of modifications. Not too bad.

- V8
- Body on Frame
- Sedan
- Manual
- Dual exhaust
- LSD 3.73
- Mustang Bullit Clutch, easy to use. (Clutch operates like a normal car ; not like a pickup)

I've got a friend who specializes with custom pedal fabrication for crown vics.
Normally the swap would be just 3000$. I've paid an additional 1000$ for differential total rebuilt + sound insulation in floors.

16211836_large.jpg

16211843_large.jpg

16211830_large.jpg

16211831_large.jpg

16211832_large.jpg

16210164_large.jpg

16210162_large.jpg

16211841_large.jpg

16209201_large.jpg

16176850_large.jpg

This car... priceless !

Originally Posted By: bedjer
I registered to this forum when I saw this thread.
I guess you'll have to build your own like I did !!!

I've built that one... 4000$ of modifications. Not too bad.

- V8
- Body on Frame
- Sedan
- Manual
- Dual exhaust
- LSD 3.73
- Mustang Bullit Clutch, easy to use. (Clutch operates like a normal car ; not like a pickup)

I've got a friend who specializes with custom pedal fabrication for crown vics.
Normally the swap would be just 3000$. I've paid an additional 1000$ for differential total rebuilt + sound insulation in floors.

16211836_large.jpg

16211843_large.jpg

16211830_large.jpg

16211831_large.jpg

16211832_large.jpg

16210164_large.jpg

16210162_large.jpg

16211841_large.jpg

16209201_large.jpg

16176850_large.jpg

This car... priceless !

Man that is AWESOME!!