Looking for RWD sedans with manual tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
If looking used the Caddy CTS in mid 2000's had manual transmission. That generation CTS was lackluster though IMHO and only available with an anemic fuel pig V6 not the 3.6L that is great by GM.

My wife's friend has one as her "winter beater".

Lightly-used BMW M3 sedan would foot the bill. Good ones can be found for $40k or less. Still very sharp and capable without being really hardcore and obnoxious. PM me if you want some details.

01_bmw-m3_facelift1.jpg

Same goes for the Audi RS4. Good ones for under $40K. It's AWD but has a heavy RWD bias and honestly drives like a RWD car 95% of the time. I also know quite a bit about this car, so PM me.

Audi_rs4.jpg

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Unicorn seeker.. but not as bad as my wife who wants a manual station wagon with decent power.

this may help at least narrow manual transmissions but does not filter RWD+ manual:
http://www.rearwheeldrive.org/rwd/manualtransmissionlist.html

New? not too many left, but used there are quite a few. Turbo Audis and Subarus, Saabs, Vovlos...
I find even my Focus is OK with the manual with a 0-60 somewhere around 8.5-9s and a fairly broad power torque curve.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
New? not too many left, but used there are quite a few. Turbo Audis and Subarus, Saabs, Vovlos...

None of which are RWD.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

None of which are RWD.

He was replying to rjundi, not the OP
smile.gif

You are an outstanding person for seeking a new sedan w/ a manual trans. While the M Benz coupes can be ordered w/ a manual, the sedans will be difficult to obtain. I was buying parts for a customer's car at the Benz dealer about four years ago. There was a new 300 4-door sedan with a genuine 6 speed manual for sale on the showroom floor. The sticker was only $36k. I wish I could have bought it but had other $$ obligations that negated any new car purchase at the time. If a USA dealer tells you he can't get a sedan w/ manual, there is a European delivery program. You may have to be persistent. Many models sold only as automatics in the states are often available in Europe with a manual. Be sure to include shipping the car home into the price of your combined vacation & new car purchase. You should also check the smaller Volvo sedans. Subaru might still have manuals too.
For simplicity, the new Impala SS is a great suggestion by a previous poster. Whatever you buy, the manual trans is a big "COOL Factor". Good Luck.

Originally Posted By: drolds
If a USA dealer tells you he can't get a sedan w/ manual, there is a European delivery program. You may have to be persistent.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. If a specific car with a manual trans option hasn't been certified for the US market, you will not be able to buy it, even with European delivery.

Sadly, the only new MB that still has the manual trans option in the US is SLK250.

Let's face it, buyers like the OP are very rare in the US these days. Most manufacturers don't want to bother with the extra cost of having a manual trans car certified, and then supported through the dealer and parts network when the sales potential is very low.

Let's face it, buyers like the OP are very rare in the US these days. Most manufacturers don't want to bother with the extra cost of having a manual trans car certified, and then supported through the dealer and parts network when the sales potential is very low.

I get the EPA certification (which IIRC isnt even an EPA thing, more of a take their word for it from the vendor - remember the Hyundai issues a few years back?

But if the MT vehicles are sold worldwide, vendors like Daimler who have a huge worldwide support and dealer network for vehicles of all types shouldnt have a big issue. Training perhaps, but something like an MT is so relatively simple that dont think that would even be the case...

Yep, which is why I find it amusing that BMW continues offering manual transmissions on their M cars because of US demand. The E60 M5 wasn't even available with a manual trans at all, and the US buyers through a hissy-fit so BMW quickly took the last-generation manual and slapped it in.

Yes, the audience for top of the line sport sedans such as M3/M5 is somewhat different in that respect.

The OP hasn't stated a budget, so we're kind of shooting in the dark here with all our recommendations, BTW.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But if the MT vehicles are sold worldwide, vendors like Daimler who have a huge worldwide support and dealer network for vehicles of all types shouldnt have a big issue. Training perhaps, but something like an MT is so relatively simple that dont think that would even be the case...

Introducing a new option to every lineup carries a cost. Even if that cost is relatively small (creating a new ECU map for US emissions, updating all sales/part/service catalogs, training materials, etc.) it still needs to make financial sense at the end the day. MB is not going to do it all just because one Joe Schmoe insists on having his car with a manual trans.

But yeah, it is somewhat of a catch-22 that the manufacturers engage in. First, they'll start by reducing the number of available manual trans options, for example by limiting it to models with only the bare-bone trims. Then next year the sales stats come in and they see that very few such cars were sold (surprise, surprise!), so the following year they decide to drop the manual option altogether.
smirk.gif

Why are RWD cars so rare these days? What started the FWD revolution and why? I've always wondered that.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
If looking used the Caddy CTS in mid 2000's had manual transmission. That generation CTS was lackluster though IMHO and only available with an anemic fuel pig V6 not the 3.6L that is great by GM.

My wife's friend has one as her "winter beater".

You could get a 2.8, 3.6 (non-DI) or 5.7. 2004 to 2007 CTS-V...400 HP, T56 6 speed and 4 doors.

2003 and 2004 had also had an opel sourced 3.2

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Why are RWD cars so rare these days? What started the FWD revolution and why? I've always wondered that.

mpg's.

The Ford Falcon can still be had with a 3rd pedal, but according to Ford, Americans don't want a full size RWD V8 manual transmission sedan
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

mpg's.

The Ford Falcon can still be had with a 3rd pedal, but according to Ford, Americans don't want a full size RWD V8 manual transmission sedan
frown.gif

Man I bet a RWD sedan with a manual tranny would be a blast to drive! Especially a Ford Police Interceptor with the exact tuning,gearing,etc of a Mustang GT!

Man I bet a RWD sedan with a manual tranny would be a blast to drive! Especially a Ford Police Interceptor

Now how would a police officer drive that and eat a donut at the same time?

Not easy, but on the Impala SS forum, many people have put 6 speed manual transmissions in the Impala. That would be a blast. Just sold my black 96 SS with 55kmi. I will miss it.

Man I bet a RWD sedan with a manual tranny would be a blast to drive! Especially a Ford Police Interceptor

Now how would a police officer drive that and eat a donut at the same time?

Haha he'd need a huge bib :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back