Looking for new mechanical pencil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Guys 0.9 is standard for engineering and drafting. Quit showing your ignorance.

Excuse me?

I showed my math equation to show what .9mm equaled.

Also meaning .035 would be a small crayon.

I used to use it for the heavier border lines in drafting. The 0.3 was for dashed hidden lines. The 0.5 was for most everything else. I used the 0.7 almost exclusively for taking notes in classes. I also had a lead holder with a H lead insert that I used for guide lines. I even still have the heavy steel sharpener for the leads.

All of this may sound familiar to a few of you but will mean nothing to most who are under about 45 years of age. I still have my old drafting tools from the 80's. Some of them date from my dad's college days (1959-1963). One of these days I need to find a good home for some of those.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I used to use it for the heavier border lines in drafting. The 0.3 was for dashed hidden lines. The 0.5 was for most everything else. I used the 0.7 almost exclusively for taking notes in classes. I also had a lead holder with a H lead insert that I used for guide lines. I even still have the heavy steel sharpener for the leads.

All of this may sound familiar to a few of you but will mean nothing to most who are under about 45 years of age. I still have my old drafting tools from the 80's. Some of them date from my dad's college days (1959-1963). One of these days I need to find a good home for some of those.

I used 0.5mm and 0.7mm in drafting classes in high school and college, but never even touched or heard of 0.9mm until this thread. In college all my work and notes were done in 0.5mm.

Last edited:
Merk,

You also need to consider the subtle hardness differences (4B, 3B, 2B, B, HB, F, H, 2H, 3H, 4H, 5H, 6H).

Have you considered a Kuru Toga? "The Kuru Toga sets itself apart with an internal mechanism that slightly rotates the lead every time you write, making sure that you’re always presenting the sharpest possible line to the page".

my drafting classes were so long ago, i can't remember half of what I learned!
crazy.gif
LOL

today we use computers for everything related to surveying, drafting, and mapping where I work.

So enjoy your .9 pencil or which ever one you choose merk.

smile.gif

I kept it simple by using HB in all my mechanical pencils and H in the lead holder for guidelines.

HB is the closest lead hardness to a #2 pencil, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back