Looking for high quality serpentine belt brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '93 Corvette and want to change the serpentine belt.
Who makes a high quality belt?
Thanks,
Craig

Goodyear gatorback.. get it from a distributer not autozone.. and it will be cheaper

I hope that's a good belt. For serpentine. For timing belts, I read bad things about the GoodYear timing belts. I despise the Stealerships, but when the belt needs to do 60K, I let them do it with the factory belt..

I hate timing belts..

Quote:

Quote:

Goodyear Gatorback

+1 Great belt unless you hate the supercharger-like whine it makes. (Not loud)

I find the gatorback model to be very quite.

A number 2 choice IMO would be a Dayco Polycog.

I think RockAuto and Summit Racing carry the Gatorbacks.

Quote:

I hope that's a good belt. For serpentine. For timing belts, I read bad things about the GoodYear timing belts. I despise the Stealerships, but when the belt needs to do 60K, I let them do it with the factory belt..

I hate timing belts..

I normally change my own belts, but on Japanese cars use an OEM belt.

I agree with the OEM approach, at least with Toyotas. I didn't feel like driving over to the dealer so I bought a NAPA belt for my Sienna. I could NOT get the marks to line up properly, plus it was thicker and stiffer than the OEM belt. It kept popping off the crankshaft pulley and was driving me nuts. I ended up buying another belt at Toyota, and that belt lined up perfectly AND would stay on the pulley. It was thinner and more supple than the NAPA belt.

Well, with a zero-clearance engine, I've always used the dealer to change the belt and water-pump, and extracted a 60,000 mile warranty on the belt and pump from them in writing on a copy of the ticket before they do the work. It's too critical if it scroos up. On my car, the belt breaks or jumps time, it's the engine. Besides, for all my bytching about the Stealerships, for critical engine work, I'd rather have the mechanic do it that's done a thousand of them than a mechanic that's never done one. They also let you know if the pulleys are cracked, the tensioner is good, all that. Based on those conditions they've always agreed to the coverage on the belt, pumps and tensioners.

Quote:

I use Gates from Carquest or NAPA and they hold up well.

they don't have cross hatch marks, only grooves. IMO more contact area = less chance of slippage! works well for my SC Regal.

i have tried all three. my opinions are:

gatorback strtched and whined
gates made the good ole squeeking noise on wet or humid days, and slipped.
i use dayco

all the above belts were used on all three of my vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back