Looking for advice on which self propelled mower to purchase

I went through the same decision almost 14 years ago, and I decided on the Toro Super Recycler. I have never regretted going with the Toro. It has never failed me in reliability. It mows even and does a pretty good job at mulching.

Right now, it looks like my Super Recycler will keep running for many years to come. I suspect I'll start wanting something new before it ever wears out.

A few years ago a friend bought a new mower and went with the Honda. His elderly father, for whom he does much of the yard work, has a Toro Super Recycler. My friend tells me that the Honda is quieter. But he also likes the Toro.

Rear wheel drive usually out performs front wheel drive - but I have an AWD Husqvarna that kicks ass!

I don't like rear drive.
At least with front drive you can keep the handle down to change directions, just lift the front up

I don't like rear drive.
At least with front drive you can keep the handle down to change directions, just lift the front up
Front wheel drive and big rear wheels are both counter productive to ease of handling and maneuvering due to the physics of leverage. They are also the cause of early failure in lower handles and handle mounts. Furthermore, rear wheel drive performs much better in tall grass and hilly conditions.

My 2001 Toro personal pace is still running strong. The handle pressure adapts to the speed that you walk. Pulling it backwards takes a bit of an adjustment as mine requires a small coast to disengage the drive before pulling it backwards.

My advise buy both. Use one each week and see which you like better. IMO, it really depends on your terrain as far as propulsion systems. Personal Pace is great on flat ground but as soon as you have to go up hill, you're pushing more than w/a thumb drive from Honda. Both are rear wheel drive? I own several Honda mowers. Oldest about 22 yrs. old. Spark plugs/oil/new rear wheels/eventually new blades all I've needed. Twin blades mulch fantastic. My latest Honda, a HRX polymer deck electric start mower I bought on clearance @ Home Depot for $400 couple of yrs ago. What a mower! Heavy though. Engine is very frugal on gas. Easy to start. Always owned good mowers. John Deere (w/Kawasaki engine), Snappers and Toro 2 strokes. Loved the off set wheels on the Toro's the best on hills. Most stable platform of all. Snapper Hi-Vacs would pick up best of all. Good Luck!

I have had this for a number of years now, love it, still starts on one pull, twin blades and if you use the grass catcher (you dont have too) it chops up the grass so fine it doesn't nearly need to be emptied as much as others. I have REALLY dense and thick Zoysia grass and it cuts is beautiful.
(neighbors always comment on my lawn)
This is rear wheel drive which I prefer. There used to be a time I preferred front wheel drive but for me now, rear wheel drive the wheels dont slip as much especially when using the grass catcher.
I bought it in Home Depot but they no longer carry it, it seems HD wants to only carry more and more expensive models = more profits.
But if you went HD they have similar Hondas for another $70 or so.
This is what I have, Amazon sells it =

Oh and Lowes =

Been cutting lawns for decades and decades this has been the most reliable and pleasurable mower I ever owned, also my first Honda. Used to love my Toros which I am sure are still good.

___

Last edited:
assuming a walk behind the Honda HRX 217 i think with hydrostatic drive + INFINITELY adjustable speed has served me well for 15 years, cutting 5 lawns years ago. RWD for sure as weight with grass in the bag is rearward. only ever changed the spark plug + blades, + of course oil at end of mowing in Pa. just close the bagger door + mulch away, electric start is only thing not on mine as i figure if i cant pull start it i wont be able to mow for an hour up + down my hilly yard! deck is never rust nexite deck a propriety polymere, i only scrape the heavy stuff off + NEVER washed it, sturdy enough as i am not abusive but a bit rough especially when i was mowing 5 times weekly

Last edited:
Never owned a Honda but as you can see people that have them love them.

If you want to bag I don't think there is an easier system to use than a Hi Vac Snapper, that same mower with a Ninja blade is a fairly good at mulching but the grass has to be short, it struggled with taller grass, I suspect it was the design of the deck. When that mower started smoking to the point it bothered me I had been mulching for a few years so I purchase a Recycler and eventually a Super Recycler with the Toro engine. Love the Personal pace, just don't think I could go back to a lever.

This afternoon I stoped in a local farm implement store that sells Honda mowers. I looked at them and was sort of drawn to the HRN216VKA. The main complaints I had when I borrowed my neighbor’s HRX were the weight, I didn’t really care for the drive system, and pulling it backwards was rather laborious. I think I’ll really like the variable drive system of the HRN, it rolls backwards easier, and is noticeably lighter. I remembered being very impressed by how well his HRX mulched and the HRN has the same twin blade setup. The only things I wonder about are will the 170cc motor be powerful enough to not bog down, and be able to reasonably mulch leaves, and is the drive system reliable. There’s no way I can justify the price jump to the HRX, the NeXite deck means nothing to me. At 55 I doubt I’ll be mowing long enough to see the deck rust out. Any comments from folk that have experience with the HRN line are certainly appreciated.

Now to visit a Toro dealer to check them out.

I wouldn’t get a regular deck that rusts
I used to feel that way but I can tell you right now the Honda decks don’t rust anymore than a new automobile will rust.
They just don’t rust I don’t know why, I can only assume just like automobiles nowadays whatever they do to the steel on the better mowers such as Honda just works.
I know I’ll replace the mower long before I see rust that becomes an issue.

This afternoon I stoped in a local farm implement store that sells Honda mowers. I looked at them and was sort of drawn to the HRN216VKA. The main complaints I had when I borrowed my neighbor’s HRX were the weight, I didn’t really care for the drive system, and pulling it backwards was rather laborious. I think I’ll really like the variable drive system of the HRN, it rolls backwards easier, and is noticeably lighter. I remembered being very impressed by how well his HRX mulched and the HRN has the same twin blade setup. The only things I wonder about are will the 170cc motor be powerful enough to not bog down, and be able to reasonably mulch leaves, and is the drive system reliable. There’s no way I can justify the price jump to the HRX, the NeXite deck means nothing to me. At 55 I doubt I’ll be mowing long enough to see the deck rust out. Any comments from folk that have experience with the HRN line are certainly appreciated.

Now to visit a Toro dealer to check them out.

I have the exact same model. I agree the HRN is pretty easy to maneuver backwards, never remember a self propelled being that easy. Super thick grass will bog down and will take and extra pass to mulch properly. Now this was after a night of rain and the grass gone an extra week, so you probably wouldn't have any issues. It mulches leaves quite well, but if you want it super fine, it may take an extra pass. I personally like the drive system and haven't had an issue, but I've only had it one season. It also has a rear discharge mode that can be handy for super thick grass. I've used it a time or two when I went too long on mowing and the grass was wet. Made another pass in mulch mode and it did well.

I too cross shopped the Honda VS the Toro. The storage capabilities seemed better on the Honda so I went with that as at the time I had storage issues.

I used to feel that way but I can tell you right now the Honda decks don’t rust anymore than a new automobile will rust.
They just don’t rust I don’t know why, I can only assume just like automobiles nowadays whatever they do to the steel on the better mowers such as Honda just works.
I know I’ll replace the mower long before I see rust that becomes an issue.
The coating on the looked very thickly applied and more like a powder coat than paint

If you want a more active mow: Honda HRX

More leisurely mow: Toro Super Recycler

Back