Looking for advice on which self propelled mower to purchase

I’m going to be purchasing my first self propelled mower. I’ve read many reviews and think I’ve narrowed my choices down to a Honda or a Toro. I’m not sure which has the best propulsion system, better cut, is easier to maneuver, etc. I’d appreciate in insight that you could offer. Thanks in advance for your help!

I really like the Toro Super Recyecler, and I use it in my business. I really like that I don't have to think about the self propulsion, it just kind of adapts to your speed.

I’m going to be purchasing my first self propelled mower. I’ve read many reviews and think I’ve narrowed my choices down to a Honda or a Toro. I’m not sure which has the best propulsion system, better cut, is easier to maneuver, etc. I’d appreciate in insight that you could offer. Thanks in advance for your help!
Honda they have 2 cutting blades. 30 years on my 216HRS.

honda is hard to beat but if you pick one of the top choices you will be happy.

I just trim with mine I went with a clearance mower from sams club at 170$
it doesnt have multiple speeds and dreaded autochoke.. but the height lever is nice and spring loaded
not the junk potmetal type that self destructed on my old mower.

Ditto the previous comments. Buy the Super Recycler at a real Toro dealer. Mine has the personal pace, and it goes whatever speed you want to go. I know some who don't like it, but its been great for me over the 5+ years we've had ours now...

I have the best of both worlds, Toro Super Recycler with the Honda engine. I like the Honda mowers also, but the Toro is superior from a comfort and cut quality perspective in my opinion. The Hondas made today are not the same as 30 years ago unfortunately.

I've had my Honda HRN 216 for one season so far and have had no troubles with it. I used it to mow the front lawn at my old place (smaller and had a largish drop off) and I liked the way it cut/mulched. The self propel system works really well.

I doubt I'll use it much with the new place's wide open yard, but am keeping it around as it was pretty spendy for a push mower! Probably will use it to get closer to the power poles and such just to use it.

I have multiple mowers. My very favorite is my Snapper Commercial with castering front wheels. It's heavy, expensive, but tough as nails. Nice cut too.

I have a Toro 60V self-propelled electric, 6AH battery, which is an absolutely awesome mower and is now the one I grab first. It is light, powerful and quiet. It has a real steel deck, Real Toro blade and cuts just like any Toro. I paid $399 at Homeless depot, but it looks to be $499 now. It will cut 1/3 of an acre. It also will blaze through ANY height grass, tons of power.

While mine does not have the personal pace feature, the grab-lever does modulate the speed just fine. The more you squeeze, the faster it goes.

Last edited:
get one with an aluminum deck and it should last forever . many times rusted decks die before the engine.

What size? If it's a larger yard a Timemaster might be the best choice.
My personal experience with an earlier model of timemaster was horrible. Hard to mulch damp grass, slightly underpowered, and the blade belts broke every couple of years. It sure saved some time, but I would look at the other options me tinned earlier. The recyclers from toro and the hondas are great.
Have you thought about looking at a used commercial model?

Honda is good. Great cut with Double Blade cut. can adjust speed on them. The Self propelled are rear wheel Drive units. I would skip the one with a variable hand speed control on the lower models. They do have a hydrostatic transmission and electric start on the higher end models, but they are super easy to start. They also have a workhorse commercial mower that is heavy, but will likely last you decades.

As strange as it sounds, I’m really concerned with the propulsion system. I borrowed my neighbor‘s Honda HRX and felt like I was chasing the mower. It mulched like nothing I’ve ever seen but I wasn’t very comfortable while using it, maybe it’s a learning curve. I’m a 55 year old bartender and my body is starting to reflect 36 years of abuse lol. Cut and quality are very important but I’m really buying a new mower to make the task easier. I also have some areas where I’ll be just pushing the mower, so I’d like something that is easy to maneuver while not using the propulsion. thanks again for all the replies!

I also have some areas where I’ll be just pushing the mower, so I’d like something that is easy to maneuver while not using the propulsion. thanks again for all the replies!
Stick with a rear wheel drive self-propelled mower. Also, stay away from any mower that has larger rear wheels than those in the front, they are promoted as being easier to maneuver and better over rough ground, but the exact opposite is the case. All 4 wheels need to be the same size, all of the quality mowers are set-up this way.
If going with a Toro stick with the aluminum deck Super Recycler which Toro actually manufactures. It is a FAR better mower than the steel deck Recycler which is manufactured for Toro by MTD. Also, Toro has the best and most reliable drive system as well as the best mulching performance. It has an excellent quality of cut. At your age a Toro Super Recycler might be the last lawnmower you will ever purchase so it is worth the extra money. I still use my 28 year old Super Recycler almost every week (even in the winter, where I live).

I've had a Honda self propelled mower for five years now. It took me 3 - 4 weeks to get used to the rear drive Honda mower, after 21 years of using a front drive mower, but it's fine now. I like the Honda mower, except for the rear axle bushings, which I need to lubed regularly, otherwise it's difficult to pull backwards.

Back