Looking for advice on which self propelled mower to purchase

The coating on the looked very thickly applied and more like a powder coat than paint
Yeah, maybe the same treatment automobiles get now.
I can say with confidence the mower deck will last longer than you will want the mower. :eek:)
I do agree with one comment you made about pulling the mower backwards. I have found that it is harder on rear wheel mowers, other rear wheels maybe different I just never had one that was easy. I just plan it to do as little as possible pulling backwards.

If that is a big concern I would defiantly go with a front wheel drive, front wheel wouldnt work well on my lawn, its way too thick, I know I would not get the traction I need but it certainly is easier to pull a front wheel backwards from my experience a long time ago. Actually before a moved south 15 years ago I used to prefer a front wheel drive Toro

I do agree with one comment you made about pulling the mower backwards. I have found that it is harder on read wheel mowers, other rear wheels maybe different I jsut never had one that was super easy.
The Toro Super Recyclers don't have this problem because of the way that their wheel drive clutches operate. Toro patented this design years ago.

I’ve continued To research and am seeing a lot of information about motor “surging“ complaints/problems with the GCV170 motor. Anyone know if this motor is problemati?

I’ve continued To research and am seeing a lot of information about motor “surging“ complaints/problems with the GCV170 motor. Anyone know if this motor is problemati?
Usually the carb jet on top gets clogged, at least on my gcv 160. I would go with the Toro Super Recycler.

Could get electric . Have the Honda 160 and works great . It's close to 10 years old . Use Pennzoil synthetic 10w-30

I retired a 15 year old Troy Built FWD w/ 190cc Briggs, and went with an HRN216 last year and couldn't be happier with it. Money wasn't really a factor in the decision, but I really liked the weight/maneuverability versus the 217 model (my dad had just purchased the fancy hydrostatic version). The newer GCV170 motor is a complete re-design from the older GCV 160 (same for the 200 vs the older 190), and it is significantly more powerful than the older 190cc B&S it replaced.

As a test I even took the honda out to our ranch to cut about ~3 acres of coastal that was growing around our cabin. This is firmly zero-turn (at a minimum) territory, but the Honda actually did it with minimal bogging/complaints. For reference, the 190cc brings would go about 5 inches before it wanted to shut off...so big power difference.

The cut quality of the Honda is also very good.

There are some things I don't like about the Honda designs though. Their smart drive system takes some getting used to, and honestly I think the cables/belts need some breaking in. I'm good with it now after ~25hrs on the mower, but at first it wasn't my favorite.

The bag/mulching settings are really nice, however the bag attachment kind of sucks, and you will inevitably spill a good portion of leaves/clippings when detaching it to empty.

No experience with the personal pace system of the Toro, but I really didn't like that you had to push forward on the mower to make it move. I kind of like having the mower pull me.

Edit: Just read that you got the Honda. I don't think you could make a bad decision here, and I'm sure you'll love it.

It’ll live a long life on any synthetic 10w-30. I‘d take a look at the manual and see what it recommends

Ive been using 10w30 Delo 400 XLE Synblend in my Honda mower with the GVC160 engine since 5/2016 for no other reason than it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. I have a feeling (gulp) this engine would outlive me but chances are I will get bored with the mower before that time and want a new one. Its been stupid reliable, still starts on one pull, never burns an ounce of oil between changes 🙃

Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 after break in . Also use(d) 90 or 91 non E gas from the start . Was Top Tier , now unknown for 3 to 4 years . If any gas is left before winter , will shut off gas and run until engine stops . Turn on gas and top with fresh gasoline at beginning of mowing season .

I’m going to be purchasing my first self propelled mower. I’ve read many reviews and think I’ve narrowed my choices down to a Honda or a Toro. I’m not sure which has the best propulsion system, better cut, is easier to maneuver, etc. I’d appreciate in insight that you could offer. Thanks in advance for your help!
Toro Timemaster. A significantly better mower than any other walk behind I have owned. And the most expensive also.

Back